Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 97

regarding critiques in writing here at dA

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012   Writer
why do some folks here seem to equate harsh/honest critique as a negative critique? i mean, if you can't tell when you're being trolled at this point, i don't know what to tell you. there's being honest and direct and then there is straight-up trolling in the comments of your pieces. there is a distinct difference.

are you being honest with yourself with the kind of critique you're looking for?
are you ready to be honest with yourself about how you're progressing as an artist?
are your goals aligned with this honesty?

maybe it's because i'm older, maybe it's because i am not a reflection of my stories. my stories are my stories, not me as a person. i don't know. it is what it is.

how do you feel when you give a critique to someone who asks for one and they lose their mind and call you a troll for not praising them? does it make you want to critique anyone ever again? is there a way to get through to people anymore or are their eggshell bubbles getting in the way of their growth as an artist? should we continue to bother?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconazizriandaoxrak:
AzizrianDaoXrak Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Thought I'd add something interesting to this thread...

I was asked by a member of a group I admin to give feedback and explain why we declined two of their poems. When I complied, they not only assumed I had no idea what I was talking about, they also insinuated that our group accepts bribes in exchange for features.

And I have to say, if it weren't for the fact that I also recently got genuinely appreciative responses from people whose work I critiqued, this would definitely have put me off my critiquing appetite for a long damn time.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   Writer
they also insinuated that our group accepts bribes in exchange for features.

wow. that's ugly.
Yeah. It was....pretty nasty. They then proceeded, through the rest of our conversation (as I was trying to explain how our voting practices work, what specifically I meant in my critique, etc), to insist I had made that insinuation up because of a guilty conscience. It was all I could do to try to keep it professional and...not as pissed off as I actually was. I managed not to cuss them out. Barely.
i'd have blown a gasket. good for you on keeping your cool.
Thanks.

Definitely the most extreme negative reaction to a critique I've ever gotten.
one for the books.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Artist
I often think it's because people just don't like hear unpleasant things about themselves, and most people are deeply attached to their art. I know that if someone's just going to tell me I'm wrong, that's gonna bug me on at least some level. It's better when someone provides a reasonable argument as to why, then it at least produce something constructive.

A good example from my blog. One guy just posted that he thought the game I talked about was "Meh" and added nothing. All it did was be negative, considering he didn't even give a reason why, and pretty much flat out refused to even when I argued that he wasn't really adding anything. Then, about two posts later, someone gave a lengthy argument that far more directly hit at what the guy found was wrong in the post -- but somehow, because he was direct, honest, and in a way, helpful, it was far less of an irritant. I even kind of enjoyed debating with him about it.

I always try to be honest with myself about my work. Most people really like my stuff, but I remain doubtful of anything until proven otherwise. I hope for the best, but expect the worst, and that way I'm either not deeply upset or happily surprised.

As for people freaking out because I didn't like something... I consider that a sign that they clearly either have an issue with their ego or are very defensive. I can actually top that though, with one boss I had on a videogame project. This was his first time doing the job, and he... was not doing a good job as manager (and I was the only person under his management, and yet he still found a way to often make it difficult to do my job or feel like I could be civil around him). I eventually looked him up to see what I could find... and oh my gosh, he was worse in response to people who disagreed with him. At first it looked like he was willing to discuss with them, but instead treated them like FOX News would treat someone from the videogame industry. He'd ignore their points, even onetime outright stating "lets mozy on past that", he'd refuse to see their side of the argument, and wouldn't give up until he won. I'd say that's far worse than someone who flames out at you.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Writer
You said, I often think it's because people just don't like to hear unpleasant things about themseleves.

If a critique is lashing out on a person, and not their work, that is not a critique.

Everything else you said makes sense though.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Artist
I was not suggesting the critique would be lashing out though. I'm merely stating that there are people who easily take any criticism as a personal attack, and don't like that as a result. Oversensitivity is an issue just as much as bitter critics lashing out for no reason. Both are equally at fault in my eyes.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Writer
Oh, okay. I agree with that. I just thought what you meant was the critic talking about the person in a negative fashion because of what they wrote/draw/took a photo of/ect. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :nod:
Add a Comment: