Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Who Is Your Favorite Protagonist?

:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Writer
either from a story you've read or a story you've created or even both! Give a description of them, tell us about their personality and various other traits :D.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icononceuponanight23:
OnceUponANight23 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Alright, from a novel I've read: Ralph from Lord of the flies. I totally love him, how he sees the world around him and the way his personallity changes thought the story, also the fact that he's brave and tries to keep his mind without succeding completely, I mean... like, he has flaws and all but he's amazing!.

and an original of mine: Simon Frey, he's a 23 year old gay dude who joins the army and falls in love with his best friend, I really love him.
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Paul Atreides from the first three Dune books: none of this clone nonsense from the later sequels. His development arc is very reminiscent of Greek tragedy, which makes sense since the Atreides family is apparently Greek. Really cliche now that the books have been published for 50+ years, but he's still a well-rounded protagonist.
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
My favorite protag from books I've read is probably Rob from High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.  LOVE. Love.  He's one of the first contemporary characters that I really connected with, and proof positive of the difference a compelling voice makes. 

From my own work...it's usually the last character I wrote.  In which case it's Eileen from the book COME ON EILEEN, which I wrote with ^neurotype over the summer.  She's a 17 year old living in Brooklyn in 1986 and she's just been told by a mysteriously accurate fortune telling machine that she's going to drop dead the next time she hears her favorite song.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist
I remember enjoying High Fidelity. :nod:
:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Writer
One of my favorite books.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Writer
From published works... probably Basil from Dorian Gray (I was actually named after the title character of that novel ;)) I know it's a classic and probably an odd character choice, but the story between him and Dorian is truly intriguing and deep... if read particular ways.

As for my own characters... I have a lot of favourites, but my personal favourite right now would probably be Daniel from my newest work that I've been writing ;)
:iconoverteccentricity:
overteccentricity Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
He's not the only protagonist (his twin sister Rahel is also one) but Estapphen from The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. He's a very earnest and pure child, but due to the tragic events of the novel, he becomes even more introvert and stops talking altogether. The novel is very much an ensemble piece in terms of its characters, so he doesn't play a massively bigger part than any other character, but it's his character that I particularly related to and felt sorry for. He's just a thoughtful, vulnerable little kid really who gets mixed up in all the tragedy :(
:iconclaycowboys:
ClayCowboys Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Writer
From published works, I have a soft spot for Jean-Baptise Grenouille from Patrick Suskind's Perfume.

From my works...hmm...I think it would have to be Clay. He's such a sweet kid and yet I put him through the worst shit. :D
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hiro Protagonist, of the book "Snow Crash."

His personality is pretty generic for a hero; he's brave, he's talented, he's determined to do good, he falls in love, etc. But he also has a lot of things that most heroes in sci-fi and fantasy lack. Such as....
- An ethnicity: he's half African American and half Korean-Japanese, raised as an army brat. As opposed to most heroes, who are just WASPS who grew up in totally average homes (with maybe an evil parent or two).
- His own choices: No fairy god mother or mentor shows up and tells Hiro that he must stop the Snow Crash virus, because a prophecy said so, or because he's "just the right man" for them to hire. Hiro learns about the virus from his friends, and takes it upon himself to hunt it down.
- His own taste in woman: Most heroes or heroines fall in love with a guy or girl who's insanely hot, who *any* of us would want. Hiro however falls for an average-looking brainiac who "didn't wear funny blue stuff on her eyelids."
:iconorigonstory2000:
OrigonStory2000 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd say that my favuorite prtagonist of all time would be Elizabell Cray from Chris Wooding's novel. She's such a great girl! She goes through so much and at times isn't even in control of her own body, but still she endures and percevers to destroy the satanic cult that persues her.

If I had to pick one of my own characters, I'd say it's be Nathan Saol. Probably because he's morally dubious and really goes through a serious system shock.
Add a Comment: