Closed to new replies
December 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 290

Inspiration

:iconrazgriz-3:
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
I get the strangest feeling this has been done before, but I'm just gonna go ahead and be my knucklehead self.

The question of the day is, what inspires you to write? That is to say, what, whenever you see (if it's physical) or feel (if it's emotional) or, well, anything else for that matter makes you think, "You know what I should do? I should go write."

For me, it's when I'm feeling sad-like. Put on some bleak music, hole up in a corner of the room, and write about some chick who leaves her husband and then stabs him in the neck from her weatherbeaten husband's perspective.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjodie-woodall:
Jodie-Woodall Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Filmographer
I get inspired by strangely small things, like someone giving a day-long bus ticket they no longer need to someone waiting for a bus themselves or kids playing football in snow or something. Small things seem to start the annoyingly poetic cogs whirring in my head. Also other literature and some news articles make me feel like writing.

Apparently the play Equus was written because he read a random article about a horse that was blinded, then based the entire thing about why that might have happened, which is pretty cool really :)
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
So acts of random kindness/significance in a story.

Such strange events do spurn ideas. I concur.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional
I am inspired largely by fuckin', and also by insects and birds and the occasional margay.
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Margay? Whassat?
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional
Leapords?
tiganusi Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional
no, much smaller.
Mouse size?
:icondisappearing-inkwell:
Disappearing-Inkwell Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
i get my inspiration from music, some of the bands are, blind guardian, nightwish and avantasia. the beats are very inspiring. if your a music person they should help you a little too.
I am, but I'm more the mellower stuff- or perhaps the weirder stuff. I just discovered Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire.
:icontakatake:
Takatake Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
well..i ussualy am insipred by my feelings,depending on the mood. but sometimes stories just come to me. or dreams- dreams inspire me like no one else. :)
My dreams are too inane to do so.
:icontakatake:
Takatake Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
what does inane mean?
Bizarre, odd, etc.
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Blind Guardian (Band).

I was inspired to write in Italian after hearing their song "Frutto Del Buio" (Harvest of Sorrow or Fruit of Sorrow).
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Interesting.... Good inspiration? Happy? Sad?
:iconpoetboi:
PoetBoi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Very dismal. I wouldn't say sad, but it definitely isn't upbeat.
It's better that way.
:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
I begin with writing a doggerel considering they aren't the hardest, that gets my brain going, then I reflect on the day and all the faces I've seen, taking mental notes of new ones and then I open the blinds on my window and look out to the forest in front of my house, observing the motion of the trees when the wind passes through them and every new detail such as leaves either growing or dying.
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
It sounds like you live in a very peaceful place. I'd like to live somewhere out of the way in the adult days, too.

May I ask what a doggerel is? I've never heard that term before.
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
It is a poem with very little literary value but holds a strong purpose, it is a bit of a comedy poem if you will (or that is how I interpret it as.)

And I got a lucky peaceful place, the only peaceful place, other than that about four or five miles down it is all city :s!
Can I see an example of yours to get a better idea, if you please?

Ahhh. Well, if all else fails, I will build one.

That is to say, try to build one and kill myself accidentally in the process. I couldn't imagine living in a city. All those people.
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Writer
On my profile it is the one titled My Daddy, now I don't usually put them on here but it had such a significance to my life and the person I am now that I felt I should.

Yeah cities are way too crowded and stressful for me as well, my dream life is in the mountains of Tennessee.
That does make sense....

Reeeally. I wanna head to Ireland.
:iconlivingonair:
LivingOnAir Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
lol
i feed off my brokon heart
yuum -________-
lol
likeno*_*
it makez ok lyrics lol
:*
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
....Uuuuerrrm, that sounds... good?
LivingOnAir Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
does it, does it really?
no it doesnt
.-.
I didn't quite think so.
better not >->
I don't really do that whole "thinking" thing.
fantastic, baby
Baby?
(1 Reply)
:iconinklingsofoblivion:
InklingsOfOblivion Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I find lots of things inspire me: sometimes I'll see something and it'll spark off a little story inside my head, other times it's a song lyric. Those pieces though tend to be short and with very true character development.

Mostly though I write when I am feeling sad too- about things that haven't gone my way, or I channel the feelings I've got for someone into a piece. I also really like playing about with the words: meanings, spellings, context that kind of thing (though very little of that makes it to dA ^^; )

The idea I've had for a novel came to me when I was thinking through lots of things, so I guess for me inspiration is all around (that sounds like some cheesy tag line, sorry :P)
Sorrow and general inspiration seems to do that a veeerry large deal of inspiration.
InklingsOfOblivion Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Mmm, it's a funny thing.
I cannot use happiness as inspiration, I've found.
InklingsOfOblivion Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Incidentally of late I've found that too. Sadness is the thing that I find most inspiring.
I concur.
:iconavix215:
Avix215 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I get inspiration anytime, any place. Like, I'll be in the shower, and i get a brilliant idea. Or at a party. Or bored in school. Totally random.
I do notice that my creativity is strongly linked to my emotion, though. When I get depressed or happy or in a 'love' mood, I spin out good stuff.
Also, I get inspiration from others sometimes. Like, they'll say something, and I'll think about what they said and come up with a brilliant idea linked to what they said. >.<

Like I said, totally random. =P
I seem to have to think about it a good deal.
Avix215 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
like, force yourself to get inspired??
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Effectively, to think of an idea.
Avix215 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
hmm.
It's annoying.
Avix215 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Also dreams are very helpful, I find.
:iconbrotherdiaz:
BrotherDiaz Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
i never really thought about that, but if i were to say anything it would be emotion.Anything i write comes from an emotional standpoint whether its happy/sad both or in between. I think of how i felt in a moment or even when i write fiction or stories i think of how a character would feel in that situation.
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Emotion seems to be a good one. Emotion and other fiction.
:iconikerot:
Ikerot Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
Anime. Simple. Lol.
Here is how it usually works: I watch some kind of show (mostly anime), then I go to sleep. I have a dream, an idea pops up. When I wake up, I write it down and save it for later. Yeah... I have a lot of ideas piling up right now and I don't know what to do with them (well, I should write them, duh).
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Now that is intteresting. Go at it one idea at a time, and feel free to combine some of your ideas. I do that sometimes.
:iconikerot:
Ikerot Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
I just make files on paper and on computer. They're like being stored for later use xD
When I feel like I don't have anything to write, I just pull them out and see which one interests me.
Add a Comment: