Closed to new replies
December 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

Tips on writing a Fanfiction

:iconcystalborn:
CystalBorn Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am thinking of starting my first fan fiction. I am a good creative writer but, I do not know much about fanfictions. I have read some of them but, I have little knowlege on how to write one. I need help on the following.

Starting the fanfiction: I am often not very confident on how I start stories unless I know it like the back of my hand. What makes a good start to a fanfiction and what makes a bad start to a fanfiction? How can I make one unique?

Continuing the fanfiction: I am very good at this but, I want to hear from you guys. How can I continue the fan fiction without getting the audience bored?

Ending the fanfiction: What are your suggestions for this topic?

Thank you.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You can presume a little knowledge on your readers' part and spend a little less time describing commonly-known elements. The characters are not your own and you have to work harder to keep them in-character, otherwise people are not going to enjoy the story, But aside from those details, writing a fan fiction is no different from writing an original concept story. All the same technical rules still apply.
CystalBorn Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Alright, thank you for the advice. I will keep those in mind when writing.
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Yeah everyone has said everything I could probably say, lols.

I do have some general advice though.

But the best thing to do is know what your writing. If you're writing comedy, you can probably get away with a lot more OOC than other types of fanfiction.

Also, really, just keep in mind of the universe and during what part of the story the fanfiction is being placed in.

I also find it more forgiving to use Japanese words in Japan. If it takes place in Japan (not Japan inspired, mind you)I find the offense totally forgivable. However, I'd still be light on the usage.

Be careful with how you ship characters to, especially if there are storyline pairings. You may need to make up reasons for why the couple didn't really work out or something. However, I really stop giving fucks when it comes to couples, because you can ship anyone, and somebody will find someway to hate you.

Oh, but one word of advice, don't let people ever let you down because you write fanfiction. It isn't something people should really be looking down upon, so ignore people who say you shouldn't write it or that it's bad. That is the best piece of advice I can give you.
That is very good advice. Thank you for the tips.
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Welcomes.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
There is no difference. You just do the same stuff but with pre-existing characters and settings.
Thank you for letting me know.
:iconthedeadconspiracy:
TheDeadConspiracy Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
Best Advice: Don't.

Create your own world and characters. You can start off with the world as a building block, branch off of it and then eventually knuck the beginning block off.
Thank you for the advice. It will help me with my original stories in the future.
:iconcaptlpun:
CaptlPun Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Sorry to butt in here but the easiest way I found to write a fanfic is to create you own world with the universe (guidelines) of the mainstream story. It's easier and allows for more freedom as you don't have to worry about maintaining the appearance (personality, etc) of the already established characters. So then it truly does became an original story just within the rules of the ficti0onal world your writing through. Hopefully this helps.
Add a Comment: