Closed to new replies
December 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

Tips on writing a Fanfiction

:iconcystalborn:
CystalBorn Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am thinking of starting my first fan fiction. I am a good creative writer but, I do not know much about fanfictions. I have read some of them but, I have little knowlege on how to write one. I need help on the following.

Starting the fanfiction: I am often not very confident on how I start stories unless I know it like the back of my hand. What makes a good start to a fanfiction and what makes a bad start to a fanfiction? How can I make one unique?

Continuing the fanfiction: I am very good at this but, I want to hear from you guys. How can I continue the fan fiction without getting the audience bored?

Ending the fanfiction: What are your suggestions for this topic?

Thank you.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You can presume a little knowledge on your readers' part and spend a little less time describing commonly-known elements. The characters are not your own and you have to work harder to keep them in-character, otherwise people are not going to enjoy the story, But aside from those details, writing a fan fiction is no different from writing an original concept story. All the same technical rules still apply.
CystalBorn Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Alright, thank you for the advice. I will keep those in mind when writing.
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Yeah everyone has said everything I could probably say, lols.

I do have some general advice though.

But the best thing to do is know what your writing. If you're writing comedy, you can probably get away with a lot more OOC than other types of fanfiction.

Also, really, just keep in mind of the universe and during what part of the story the fanfiction is being placed in.

I also find it more forgiving to use Japanese words in Japan. If it takes place in Japan (not Japan inspired, mind you)I find the offense totally forgivable. However, I'd still be light on the usage.

Be careful with how you ship characters to, especially if there are storyline pairings. You may need to make up reasons for why the couple didn't really work out or something. However, I really stop giving fucks when it comes to couples, because you can ship anyone, and somebody will find someway to hate you.

Oh, but one word of advice, don't let people ever let you down because you write fanfiction. It isn't something people should really be looking down upon, so ignore people who say you shouldn't write it or that it's bad. That is the best piece of advice I can give you.
That is very good advice. Thank you for the tips.
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Welcomes.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
There is no difference. You just do the same stuff but with pre-existing characters and settings.
Thank you for letting me know.
:iconthedeadconspiracy:
TheDeadConspiracy Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
Best Advice: Don't.

Create your own world and characters. You can start off with the world as a building block, branch off of it and then eventually knuck the beginning block off.
Thank you for the advice. It will help me with my original stories in the future.
:iconcaptlpun:
CaptlPun Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Sorry to butt in here but the easiest way I found to write a fanfic is to create you own world with the universe (guidelines) of the mainstream story. It's easier and allows for more freedom as you don't have to worry about maintaining the appearance (personality, etc) of the already established characters. So then it truly does became an original story just within the rules of the ficti0onal world your writing through. Hopefully this helps.
This helps me a lot. Thank you for the advice.
:iconcaptlpun:
CaptlPun Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
anything to help
:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Why do you want to write fan-fictions if you say yo know so little about them and seem to think it's hard to write them?

I think it isn't too far from writing anything original - but you already have the characters, world and everything around it set.

I used to write fan-fictions as a sort of exercise to try to catch the feeling of the series (I think I've only written for TV-series) and the character. I don't know if I succeed, but that was the only use I ever found of writing fan-fictions.
It sounds so simple, I keep thinking the task will be very difficult but, it sounds like a walk in the park.
:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Just try it out. Write for a bit and if it feels like you can't do it - don't. Or see it as something you should go through with just to finish it, like a writing exercise.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Do your research. One of the worst things you can do is make a fanfic without seeing the original material. Some fandoms are full of this -- the writers read fanfics and think they're canon, when they're not.

Until your writing skill is pretty good, keep the characters within character.

For example, Naruto in canon was never beaten up or abused by the villagers during his childhood. NEVER. And yet a huge chunk, if not every fanfic dealing with Naruto's childhood shows he is abused as a background, usually a reason for him suddenly seeking revenge. Not only is the abuse non-existent, in canon Naruto LOVES his village. He'd likely die first than destroy it.

If you're making a fanfic of a japanese show, please, don't throw in random Japanese phrases. Unless there's ABSOLUTELY no english equivalent, don't use a japanese. Avoid "hai" when "yes" or "yeah" can do. Don't use "sweatdropped". There is no such word.

Personally, I like fanfiction that I can read and appreciate even if I don't know what the original series is. I guess that a good way to start a fanfic -- pretend the person who is reading doesn't have an idea. So, introduce characters and setting like you would as if it were an original fic.
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely think about that while writing.
:iconlilybayer:
LilyBayer Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student General Artist
:thumbsup:
:iconbleedlings:
bleedlings Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I know I read a lot and I mean a lot of fanfiction.
And one of my biggest pet peeves is when the story is going well and it's all on topic and out of no where the main topic is a crappy shipping. I have nothing against shipping characters, but I hate when it doesn't fit into the story at all when I'm not expecting it. It bothers me quite a lot.
Keeping the story plot is VERY. Important. I learned that lesson when I first started writing original stories.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Keep the characters in character. Pleeease.

Other than that, it;s like writing any other story.
I will. Thank you for the advice.
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Writer
"Steven King was still feeling sleepy though he had gotten at least 7 hours. He would have to go make coffee, and begin working. The writer noticed snow was piling up outside but he was in relatively high spirits. He didn't realize that the fans in his basement were writing about him. He didn't realize that their stories were coming true."
This is a nice example.
:iconcatluvr2:
catluvr2 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
moreplz.
:iconopiumrooster:
opiumrooster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
don't.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Digital Artist
The principles are the same for fanfic and an original story, so if you know how to write a story, write the fanfic the same way.
Okay, thank you for pointing that out. I struggled with that for a while.
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Digital Artist
Are you being sarcastic? I was trying to help you. You said you were good at writing stories, but didn't know if there were any differences with fanfiction, so I was letting you know there weren't.
I apologize for that. Thank you for letting me know.
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Digital Artist
No worries.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Writer
i would think the first element to writing a fanfiction is being a fan of what you're writing about.

i also would think an "original story" would be one based on things you think up, not one based on material someone else has already developed and turned into a book, movie, game, etc.
This is great advice. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Writer
did this not occur to you?

what are you a fan of that you'd want to write fanfiction of?
why are you opting to write fanfiction instead of something of your own creation?
I want a challenge. I have written original stories before and now I want to try something different. I want to know what it's like to write a story with characters I know well like Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazeBlue or Canada from Hetalia. I need to get used to writing different stories with different requirements or I will not be flexible later down the line.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Writer
:salute:

good luck to you for your awareness. it's pretty rare.
Thanks.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm wondering why this would be any different from writing a good original story? Besides audience expectations, but that's more content than style.
CystalBorn Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have little knowlege on fanfictions. I do know how to write a good story but, I do not know if there's a difference between an origional story and a Fanfiction. Is there one?

Sorry if it looks like I do not know much. I'm just confused. ^^;
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you read fanfictions?
Yes, I have read several in the past and I am reading one now.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd get more immersion in that stuff, then. There's a lot of fanfiction-specific terms. :O
Add a Comment: