Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 138

Keeping it fresh

:icongoreblowndeer:
Goreblowndeer Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I see a lot of the same nauseating drivel recycled over and over on here - heartbroken teen angst poems, lame fanfics, cliched garbage about life and love - what do you do to try and keep ideas new and interesting?

I usually write a lot of stream of consciousness, then go back, take the parts I like, reword parts I think could be better, and cut the crap as they say. Whether it's effective is another story, but of course, I think it's somewhat effective. I mostly write poetry though.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Originality is vital to me. I sometimes run through my work and look for themes, images, and other elements that I may be repeating without even knowing it. One example is dyads. I found that without noticing it, I was writing stories about dyad-based conflict. Now, I try to find new themes and structures for my work. Of course, every time I shut a door because "I've done it already", writing becomes tougher yet again. I create less, but also enjoy it more when I actually manage to write something.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Digital Artist
For a sec, I thought you meant 'dryads' and I was like, 'you must be keen for dryads.' :lol:
Oh, yes -- typo! I meant "dryads" because I'm hot for them! :D
I see the way you look at that pine tree across the road. :eyes:
Hey, she was slowly slipping off her cones -- in public! How could I resist that exhibitionist? She makes my sap run...
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Style is substance.
Goreblowndeer Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
very true
What were you actually hoping to get out of this thread? :iconfryplz:
hehe, I think you know if you're asking that
Well I hope you had fun trolling, mate.
not as much as usual
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Writer
probably exactly what he's getting. a load of shit so he can cry about how the world hates him. i have no patience for drama queens like this.
I reckon he just wants a good trollololololo :icontrololoplz:

(But we can't understand because of our own inadeqecies, maaaan! :giggle:)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm so inadequate, I'm chagrinning!
Better go and "stream of conciousness" some writing then.
I'll stream...a lot of things. :eyes:
:thumbsup:

now, i've been projected on here by kids in the past but this is some North Korean nuclear projection here today. the more he thinks he knows how i am is just him telling me (and all of us) how he really is.

:iconnothingtodohereplz:
:iconnothingtodohereplz:
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Writer
I noticed. It was pretty funny to watch. :lol:
it was definitely weird. but knowing he's projecting, i didn't feel the need to defend myself so i just resorted to insults. why not, you know? i'm working with what i've got in front of me.
I figured. He's definitely got his head pretty far up his ass because he can't see fuckin' anything.
nauseating drivel? that's all you write, dude. "To Fuck A Girl" -- you are fucked up and sick for that. no wonder you're taking your fucking anger out here. better you do it here than on someone in a skirt too short, huh? sick asshole.
Seriously. I checked out his gallery. It's full of misogynistic bullshit. The feminist in me rages. Did you see Rape "Victim"? This fucker honestly believes women shouldn't be able to go out at night wearing what they want.

The best part is he is totally in denial about it. He actually told me he is against sexism. Hah. This guy's a fucking character.
if he's a day over 18, then my heart really weeps for him and anyone who has to deal with him in real life. good thing video game characters don't judge you ;-)
look, I get people like you; you try to bring others down because of your own inadequacies. I'm sorry for you man, I hope it's just a phase, honestly, and maybe you'll grow out of it. Here's hoping. Cheers.
do people tell you that a lot? that they hope your woman-hating small-dick syndrome thing you have here is just a phase?
yep, just like someone like you to fail to see the humor in things and try to take them seriously
if there's one thing in this world you need to stop taking so fucking seriously it's yourself. see you on the news, pappy.
I... I take MYSELF seriously? If you read anything of mine, you'll see I take almost nothing seriously. But, it doesn't surprise me you lack any insight into such things.
i did read what you write. now, how was To Fuck A Girl not a serious piece from an individual such as yourself? do you really not feel that? are you an angry virgin?
It's a humorous poem. In fact, my first girlfriend from when I was 17 who I lost my virginity to commented on the poem about when we first started having sex. Dumbass.
(1 Reply)
ideas are ideas. it's how they are executed. if you use the same old settings and characters and conflicts, yes, your work will grow hair on it. do the opposite and see what you get.

and if there's one thing i hate more than crimson river poetry, it's stream of consciousness ANYTHING. try harder. get out of your head and give us something to read.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
I like stream of consciousness as a style, actually, but I hate that people think it means "vomit stuff onto page and hope it sticks." That is *not* how Faulkner or Joyce wrote, guys. That shit was revised and re-revised and very intentionally crafted. Even Finnegans Wake, believe it or not.
I'm preparing to take the plunge and read Finnegan's Wake. Would it be advisable to read Ulysses first?
I haven't read either one yet TBH. I did read about one-quarter of Ulysses when I was younger; it was interesting, but I didn't have the time/patience to finish it while working and attending school full-time. I won't even touch Finnegans Wake until I finish it. My boyfriend has been reading it for like 5 years off and on.

My suggestion would be to work in order from Dubliners on. The stories in that book are written in a fairly straightforward manner for the period, and in each work after you can see a gradual progression of style, going about as far as you can go in Finnegans Wake. It's basically a set of dreams over the course of one night interrupting by a bathroom break. My understanding is that Wilder's Skin of Our Teeth is based on the central concept. It's a pretty weird play, but not too hard to get.
Hmmm. Alright. I'm already halfway through Dubliners. I was going to pick up Portrait of an Artist next. I'll check out Skin of Our Teeth as well (since it is easier to understand than Finnegan's Wake) before I take the plunge.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
:thumbsup:
Yes, seriously! I'm guilty of making this mistake.
A lot of people do. I don't know if it's way the term is taught or what.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think it's partially intuitive.
Well, if someone isn't taught the correct definition of the term, then yeah, they're going off best guess. I think the assumption is that it's from your stream of consciousness, rather than an effort to write something that resembles it. Does that make any sense?
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes!

Adding to that, I even know that the style of writing takes a lot of work, but I still conflate the two. I think part of the issue is never remembering the term 'free writing.'
yes, SOC is page vomit that they think should not be tampered with because it's emotional and it's raw. so is chicken from the store. but when you add mirepoix and seasonings and cook it in the oven at 350-degrees for an hour, it becomes something you can get some benefit from as opposed to food poisoning.
Nice analogy.
thank you.
way to dismiss a whole style of writing just because you're not good at it :D
It's no wonder you suck at it since you're so closed minded
Your work is not stream of consciousness. I'm not sure you have a correct understanding of what that word actually means.
Well, like I said, after SOC, I take and refine them so it is no longer what it started out as
"After SOC"... This tells me you don't have an understanding of what stream of consciousness is. It's a particular style of writing, not a method of production. Like I said in my reply to your OP, what you're doing sounds more like free or automatic writing.

I used to write poetry that way when I was younger. I'm not sure it's generally the best way to produce work.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional
:iconbangkillplz:
Add a Comment: