Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Past Or Present Tense?

:iconlifeheartcross:
LifeHeartCross Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Which do you prefer, past or present tense, when reading or writing novels? Why?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadowcat1717:
shadowcat1717 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
meh I sometimes dont really care about it lol
as long as I can follow how the story goes I'm good with it :P
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
If a great writer found a way to speak in present tense, then fine. But most can't, so I prefer past tense. It feels less labored to me.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Who cares? I haven't heard of many instances (read: none) where a person liked a book less because of the point of view it was in.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional
Future tense.

Or, you know, whatever makes sense for the goddamn message.
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It up to what I am writing. I prefer past.
Reading, I don't care. Present isn't my favorite.

-_- I really need to just copy my answer to this question and paste it every time it is asked.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012   Writer
I really need to just copy my answer to this question and paste it every time it is asked.

so i'm not the only one who notices this trend?
thanks for the co-sign
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You are welcome.

I've just been holding my tongue for awhile but it has become increasingly difficult lately.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Writer
that's why i just let it all out. why we treat new writers/young writers around here like they're made of glass -- it's not doing them any good. we need to treat them like they are real people and the real world isn't always kind. sheesh, if they can make it here with the attitude that seems to come around from time to time, they'll not only develop their writing skill but maybe a thicker skin as well.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Writer
We get this question a lot in this forum. The answers are going to vary with each writer, naturally. I think it is only fair to ask the following:

why does it matter what we prefer?
will our answers make any difference in what you do as a writer?
does this seem like an intelligent or unique question to ask a group of writers?
are you going to make changes to your writing habits based on our answers?
don't you think asking a question based on simple curiosity is a form of procrastination?
why are you doing this instead of writing?

you are not obligated to answer these questions here and it's probably best you don't because this is rhetoric at its most basic. keep in mind that we like our imaginations and intellects stretched and challenged in this forum. we tend to frown upon these incredibly basic questions where our opinions don't really matter. you might as well ask if we prefer to write on paper or on a computer. it doesn't matter. we do what we do, we like what we like. i would recommend you lurk more and see the kinds of people who are here and the kind of responses that are generally given on a daily basis. your thread is sitting among other deeper-seeking questions in comparison. get familiar with where you are. it will benefit you a lot more than what you seem to be doing right now, which according to your page, is a whole lot of nothing, which makes your presence here all the more unusual. it's not that you're not welcome, but you are among a pretty tight group of individuals who are, for the most part, very strong-willed with a high level of BS intolerance. just so you know, and knowledge is power.
:iconlifeheartcross:
LifeHeartCross Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
But thank you for your input. It is appreciated.
Add a Comment: