Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63

The Worst Thing You Could Write

:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Writer
There's been a lot of talk about characters lately and how much writers should like them, hurt them, be attached to them. I'm interested in hurting them. Actually, I'm interested in how far you're willing to go in writing before you start to feel uncomfortable. What's the worst thing you're willing to write about? What's too horrible to write about?

Let's face it. There is some nasty stuff out there. Some people write about it, some don't. Where do your draw the line, personally?

Murder?
Rape?
Consensual sex?
Mutilation or castration?
Infidelity?
Animal Cruelty?
Vulgar language?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbristow-sama:
Bristow-sama Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Student Digital Artist
My personal line is child rape. I write about uncomfortable things. Murder and torture are normal. I've used rape as a plot point to a number of stories, because I'm personally uncomfortable with the subject, and that discomfort comes off in my writing and makes the scene equally horrible in the exact way I want the readers to feel. But writing about the same circumstances with children is a boundary I haven't been willing to cross yet, and I don't think I ever will; it's never been necessary.
:iconmonsterseebs10:
Monsterseebs10 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I try to steer away from anything sexual, due to this I have some difficulty with family lines at times; I intend for a character to have had sex with another character but I'm uncomfortable writing about it.
:iconconcaholic:
concaholic Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
I really don't know what I would be uncomfortable writing about. I'm pretty much immune to violence and gore. For example, in my most recent story, a character got ripped apart and eaten alive by a carnivorous L-1011. I figured if I can write about that, anything is fair game.
:iconrazgriz-3:
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
I tend to have watchful eyes over my work, so my ability to be... off-colour in any meaning of the word is generally limited expressly. I can get away with mutilations (not of sexual organs) and some language, but nothing too much.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Student Writer
What do you mean by watchful eyes? Yours? Somebody else's?
:iconrazgriz-3:
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Someone else's. Or is it Someone's elses'? There's more than one.
Of course, I murder characters and put them in horrid situations with relish, but I take discomfort in most sexual situations.
:iconmothlets:
mothlets Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012   General Artist
Whatever happens, happens. I'll sometimes revise things to make them a little less difficult to read, but to write? Skin 'em, burn 'em, lock 'em up, and throw away the key.
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Animal abuse is where I draw the line, but I'd write anything else. Beside smut or erotica. Just not my style.
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
And, really, it comes down to style for me. Sometimes the harsh reality of murder or infidelity make a valid point that people need to hear.
:icontealowl:
tealowl Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
If I feel one of those things will go well in my story and fits in with it, I'd write it. Like Gyr said, they happen in real life whether you want it to or not. Writing about it doesn't promote it. If one doesn't feel comfortable to write about it, they have every right not to, same with if you don't feel comfortable reading about it. Yes, these are touchy topics, I understand that, so if you don't want to write this, don't. If I am faced with this, I usually just imply there was a sex scene, for example, if I don't feel alright writing it.
Add a Comment: