Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

P.O.V.??? (Point of View)

:iconakatsukiemi:
AkatsukiEmi Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Artist
Okay, so, i'm REALLY confused! I NEED some help!

I'm writing a novel but here's my problem:
The beginning of the book, there are LOTS of things that are EXTREMELY important to the story line that happen behind the main character's back. The 2nd half, I want the reader to see everything from the main character's eyes because... Well, I can't see that part from ANY OTHER perspective.

So here are my 2 options right now:
Start the book in 3rd Person and half-way through, change it to 1st
OR
Write the entire book in 1st person but have the main character learn about the things that happened behind her back as the series progresses(in the book. This will also include some mystery that will make the reader want to continue reading~ :D)

Which should I do? PLEASE HELP!
If it helps at all, this book will be the first of 4 and it's a fantasy.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvampirenyan:
VampireNyan Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
some of the chapters could be 1st person, and then every other or every third could be a short chapter in 3rd person...:)
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
If you kept it in constant third-person you would have to keep in mind where on the timeline you need them to occur and work it in when the protagonist learns them, if said events are important to the story. I think splitting the novel in two sections and layering them would be interesting.
:iconhetha884:
hetha884 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Having the book change from 3rd to first can be really confusing, I did something like that with mine and it started to confuse me think about how the readers would have felt. Having all the book in first person sounds like the better :D and you can add more description because of the characters looks and personality. I hope I helped.
:iconakatsukiemi:
AkatsukiEmi Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Artist
thanks~!
:iconhetha884:
hetha884 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
no problem :)
:iconsapphiredean:
SapphireDean Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
both are good ideas but I'd go with the second one for more appeal that way people will really want to read it
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012   Writer
[link]

that is a link on point of view that helped me when i needed help.

it's your book, tell it the way it needs to be told. you're doing the work, do what is best for the story first and what's easier on you second at this point.

ever written a novel before?
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the link. In an indirect way it helped me to solve some issues. And suddenly, everything starts to make sense ...
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Writer
her tutorials are fantastic. i'd still be years behind without her help. and she's totally friendly (but just as direct as i tend to be).
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Being direct is not a bad thing, of what help would false compliments be? There is a difference between being just direct and insulting people. I think I know the difference.
Add a Comment: