Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 131

Tell me where you aquired the last five books you read.

:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Dec 9, 2012  Professional Writer
Here is why I think this will be interesting:

1. People keep talking about PUBLISHING THESE DAYS. I don't think people actually know a lot about what's out there, and I want to know why.

2. I want to know where people find what they like -- stores? Online? Libraries?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Where I found the last five books I read:
- "Reamde:" Originally I found it at the library. It was so long that I renewed it too many times. I figured it would be easier to just buy it. So I got a used copy off Amazon. com, for under ten dollars.
- "Dictionary of the Khazar:" we read this book in a college English course. It was so bizarre, I loved it, and kept it instead of selling it back to the school. I re-read parts of it recently.
- "Star Trek: Voyager: Section 31." Originally read a copy from the library, when I was in middle or early high school. Then bought myself a copy from a used bookstore, a few months ago. Started to re-read it, but then "Reamde" came in.
- "Tales from the Mos Eisley Catina." Bought it at the same used bookstore as above. Read one story, loved it, and started on a second one, and forgot about it.
- "Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale." Got for my birthday, after requesting it.
:iconkythkyn:
Kythkyn Dec 12, 2012  Student Writer
Last five books I have bought and read have all been from either Barnes & Noble or Amazon, and only one was worth reading.
PinkyMcCoversong Dec 12, 2012  Professional Writer
How do you browse?
:iconkythkyn:
Kythkyn Dec 13, 2012  Student Writer
Amazon? Well, I usually have to do research. But the last five I bought were for a class, so I didn't have to browse so much as be dictated to as to what to purchase. Sad to say, out of the seven in total, I enjoyed one. I tend to prefer brick and mortar though, unless I know what I am looking for exactly.
:iconcaedy:
Caedy Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The last five books I've read, that I've liked, have come from the Library.

I also get books on Amazon.com (both print and e-book), and when I was in St. Augustine for school, there was this awesome little book store, it is where I managed to get almost all of my Outlander collection.
PinkyMcCoversong Dec 12, 2012  Professional Writer
What sorts of displays/promos do you browse?
:iconcaedy:
Caedy Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I look at the new releases, and my local library has an awesome set of new released YA books (or as the chick that set it up refers to it as the "LOOK AT ALL THE PRETTY COVERS!".

I look at the various "themes" that are set up through out the store on the display tables (especially when in B&N) and as far as promos if it has something that will catch my eye I am more drawn to it than the subdued type of promo/display. I'd seen one display that was rainbow coordinated - had like a couple of books whose covers were each color of the rainbow all lined up properly and it was in support of LGBT pride (though the books were not necessarily geared toward that community/focus group, but some were). It was definitely one of my favorite promotions and displays.

I also love displays of local authors, had a chance to meet a local author at the library (unfortunately missed her book signing about an hour earlier because I was at work).
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Amazon.com

I have a Kindle and I do like it, but I am now in a location with a spectacular independent book store and I think I will be getting some books there soon. :nod:
:icondoodlertm:
doodlerTM Dec 11, 2012  Student Writer
Lessee, I can remember the four books I last FINISHED (there's one half-finished that needs to go back to the library - it's overdue :stare:).

Three from friends, one from a church library.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist
Oops - I forgot to mention dA. I read quite a bit on this site - particularly, during my lunch hour (since I usually eat in my office, and don't feel like carrying books with me back and forth). As for how I find things - there are usually enough interesting works in my inbox. I tend to avoid chapter books, since I'd prefer to finish before I need to get back to work.
Add a Comment: