Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

How Much Writing Have You Done?

:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Writer
Alright. Time to give ourselves and each other a good old pat on the back. Since we're all writers, we should all be doing some writing when we've got the time or whenever you get the itch. After all, you can't very well be a writer if you're not writing, can you?

Now please, this isn't a "Let's see who wrote more" thread. It's also not "You should feel bad if you only wrote ten words" thread. This is just a "I wrote X words today. Yay for doing what I love!"

Remember, 500 words a day is a sixty thousand word novel in four months. 2 pages a day is a comic script in ten days. But the only goals you need to aim for are yours.

So how many words did you write today?
Bonus points: What did you write about?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I can't count because I've been handwriting.

LIKE A BOSS PSYCHO.
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Writer
I was taught in high school, when writing essays, that you can estimate how many words you've written by counting the words on a single line and then multiplying it by how many lines you've written. It works out to be a very broad estimation, especially if you've written short lines of dialogue.

But I just thought I'd mention it. NOW YOU KNOW.
I know that, but my handwriting changes size and I crossed out a bunch of stuff :P
is handwriting your preferred method?
Not even a little.
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
today I wrote 3031 words: one chapter for one of my storys with 902 words and alot rough ideas and dialoges for other projects with 2129 words
but i didn't wrote a single word over the last three or four days, but there where neighter motivation nor inspiration back then.
The chapter I wrote brings the first fantasy elements in my scifi world and it was very difficult for me to make it "fit"
:iconsaints-fan-12:
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
As of right now, I've written 2,009 words in one fan fiction i'm writing and 16,047 in another (not sure if these count) so if i add that I've written 18,056 words total. Others are finished so i didn't count those, unless you want me to.
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
It's usually only when I get the inspiration to write something. It's not good but for now I have a writing session about once or twice a week.
Ever tried to write without inspiration?
I have - It's not any more difficult but I find the finished product impersonal - and I've written some good pieces that way. I don't prefer it.
I don't think anybody prefers it. I was just asking because "waiting" for inspiration is a good way to get lazy.
I completely agree.
:iconcaedy:
Caedy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've not written much of anything today, though that may change between now and bed time. I'm not sure. We shall see.
:iconamooon:
Amooon Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"Remember, 500 words a day is a sixty thousand word novel in four months. 2 pages a day is a comic script in ten days."
Got some inspiration to write at least every few days.
I call myself a writer, maybe am wrong. I don't write fun stuff (as in stories, prose, poems) much any more, but the love of writing is still there so I just enjoy every piece of writing I do, whether its a college report or a simple email. I did however suddenly write a 1500 word short story for a suddenly announced competition in just 3 hours. The previous time a wrote a short story a few years back.
It is nice to write every now and then though, writing releases energy into something useful and productive as I see it.
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Writer
Have you thought about doing less creative writing and trying your hand at more feature article type stuff? For example: When I'm not writing fiction, I love to write film reviews. You might find you're just trying too hard to write the wrong kind of stuff for you.
:iconamooon:
Amooon Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Never thought of that really, you are right I may be trying hard on the wrong stuff. Will consider writing more "formal" or "article" stuff like you suggested. Thanks for that !
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Writer
No worries
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Six words.
:iconlovelyinblack:
Lovelyinblack Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Artist
I haven't written anything in the past two days I've been studying for finals. >:( However, before that I had finished typing around 4500 words. I had to edit some of my work for my creative writing class, and I ended up adding additional things.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I haven't written anything in a while. This is not a good thing.
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
If you think it's bad, why not write something?
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I will :dummy: I'm planning on throwing together the rest of my NaNo story after I wrap up these two projects for school.
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
None today because I haven't opened anything yet.
Yesterday, I was doing more editing than actual writing as well as the day before. I don't write everyday. I don't see why they claim you must write everyday. Maybe it's just to get people who aren't use to writing, writing. I don't have a word count to type on daily because I don't pay attention to that sort of thing. I can go between 200-6000 words concerning my mood, what type of scene I'm working on, and if I would rather spend my session editing.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So how many words did you write today?

1002. Staying true to the 1000 words per day.

Bonus points: What did you write about?

Let's just say there's an unfortunate planet on the receiving end of asteroids being hurled at it by mass drivers.
:iconcommandereve:
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
I have quite serious issues with reading, writing and spelling. So it takes me a long time to read and write. It takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to read 4 pages of text and about 2 hours to write one page in Microsoft Word, so when I do write I have to focus a lot. Although, it depends what I am writing about, it is on the forums or a chat setting I am quite fast as I am fast on the keyboard. I know, it sounds odd. And when it comes to writing stories and role playing me take a very long time.

Just writing this paragraph from my fan fiction Wings of Steel about owls took about 2 hours and I still had to keep going back to it. It really does help being an artist as well, as I can imagine the scene in my head.

“In the beginning, during mid-spring in the most southern region of the Forest Kingdom of Tyto, a full moon shone over the silent, majestic coniferous forest. The light from the full moon lit the vast canopy of fir trees creating angled pillars of light that cut through the dank fog and flooded the ground covered in dense vegetation. Various small insects could be heard buzzing in the still darkness, dancing freely amongst the dew covered ferns, the edges of their hairy emerald green leaves glowing like the silver lining of a cloud. The forest was a seemingly endless sea of thin, reedy tree trunks that faded into the gloomy fog. Stars of all varieties covered the deep, cloudless sky above, sparkling like a million tiny pin holes punctured into a pitch black velvet sheet of fabric.”

Today I have written 200 words in my fan fiction which is about owls, as a stated above. The main plot of the story is about a character called Eve Alba a barn owl who was hatched and spent her early days in a Fir tree in the southern Forest Kingdom of Tyto. She grows an interest in a group of evil owls called ‘The Tytonic Union of Pure Ones’ mostly known as the ‘ Pure Ones’ after meeting a friend called mark whose father was an ex Pure One. The Pure Ones believe that barn owls are descendants of Glaux (the owl’s version of God) and that they are the superior race to all other owls. Eve then later joins them and causes all sorts of problems on an island called ‘Zephyr’.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
I've been writing about 1,500-2,000 words per day for the past few days, but that's extremely unusual for me. It just happens that at that moment I'm writing a story for somebody else, with a deadline and everything, so I don't really have the option of doing other things.
I think writing for somebody else and writing to a deadline is an invaluable lesson.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
None. :noes:

But then, I haven't been up all that long. Also, I should probably be editing rather than writing just now.
I like editing... At first.
First edit: Woo! It feels so good to have done the first draft. Now we make it less sucky.
Second edit: Aw yeah, editing! It's like writing the whole thing again but it takes less time.
Third Edit: Those additions I made in the last draft really improved the work. Kind of a pain to have to edit them now, too though.
Fourth Edit: I NEVER WANT TO READ THIS SHIT EVER AGAIN
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
:laughing: It's even worse when you've got to get below a certain word limit. It's like crushing a huge bag of coal down into one beautiful diamond...but the diamond is still two hundred words too long and now you've got to file it down with a plastic spoon.
Hahaha! Excellent analogy.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Digital Artist
None. :la: I've been drawing, I'm in a drawing mood lately.
:iconslytherinsheiress:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Writer
I wrote about twenty words today on my novel and am actually about ready to dive back into within the next half-hour. :)

I usually try to write at least 1,000 words per day. Sometimes I go way past that. But other days, especially on days I have to work, I'm lucky if I get 300.
I'm lucky if I get anything done on days I work. After 11 hours, I just want to have dinner and go to sleep.
I'm a political intern and it's definitely exhausting. I try getting up a few hours earlier just so I can put some words on the page before I check in, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I'm almost on page 100 of my novel, though, so I guess that counts for something? ;)
Well, unless you're typing in 4x line spacing with 109 sized font. Then 100 pages is less impressive.

But hey, assuming it's a reasonable size like 12 and line spacing of 1 - 2 times, then that's nothing to scoff at!
It's Times New Roman size 12 font and it's single-spaced. I'll double-space it before I print, but I like the way single-spaced looks when I'm typing. It's an old, old habit. ;)

It's taken me about six or seven weeks to get this far.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist
I've spent most of my time deleting words, which is just as productive when those words really don't need to be there.

I generally don't keep count, unless I'm doing something like Nano. Numbers are pretty meaningless here - which is hard for a mathematician to admit.
The deleting phase is actually one of my favourite phases!
:icontheshanar:
TheShanar Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know how many words I've written, but I write a poem every night for practice. Most are painfully under par, but I think it's a good exercise.
1 poem is just as valid a measure as any other. I go with words when writing prose because it's easy to check and gives a good idea of length.

Not so much with other forms.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Writer
i haven't written anything and am not going to until January. i've never been one of those "write every day" writers unless i'm doing Nanowrimo or Flash Fiction Month and even then I don't hit every single day.
I object to anybody who says "Write every day" as if it is a golden rule or the key to success. And when I do write, as I say, I aim for a certain amount but don't fuss if I get there or not.

I still try and write every day I have off, because I enjoy it. I'm doing a lot of writing at the moment because I have a lot to say, too. But I definitely ain't one to judge if people can't squeeze it in or have nothing to say. I find it's better to write well than to write lots and say "It was all crap but at least I wrote something today.

If I may ask, why aren't you writing until January?
primarily because i will be starting a new job (another restaurant opening -- those are 12-16 hour days). i just did this in August and i was so fried from it, both mentally and physically and i'm doing it again. this is my primary joy and passion in life, not writing. i do that for fun and laughs and entertaining people here and myself. however, i am doing the year-long discipline project outlined a couple of journals ago. i will be writing, just not for another couple of weeks.

anyone who puts the pressure of "i must write every day because THIS SUCCESSFUL WRITER does it" just sets themselves up for failure. it's easy to give up on something you're doing when your reasons aren't your own.

i'd rather write nothing than write crap. i have no excuse for doing that at this stage of my life.
Nifty. Well good luck on the restaurant and on your new year long discipline project. I hope to see you get a book deal out of it.

Like an asshole would.
;-)
Since I asked the question, it's only fair I answer as well.

So far I've written 1800 words today, or thereabouts. I usually aim for about 1000 words a day if I can and on Saturday I do extra to make up for Thursday and Friday when I never get any writing done. Sometimes I manage, sometimes I don't. I never worry too much about it.

I wrote an action scene today. A fight between a stubborn, depressed alcoholic man and a large, beastial chimera-esque monster in the woods. Boy, putting it like that it could sound comic. But it wasn't. It was all actiony and fighty.
Add a Comment: