Link

Statistics

Replies: 362

Is poetry or prose harder?

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
-for you, as a person who writes
-why?

I'm not defining anything, so you have to do it else your post won't make sense BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Devious Comments

neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
:lock: OP request, AKA y'all haven't been defining your terms. :icongrinstareeyesplz:
:iconactsofart:
ActsofArt Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hmm. I would say that poetry comes more easily to me, with prose I really have to work at it where as poetry for the most part seems to just flow for me and needs hardly any editing. hints why I have far more poetry pieces than prose :/
:iconworldwar-tori:
WorldWar-Tori Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   General Artist
I struggle mostly with prose. I want to be able to write it, but after a short period I just don't have what I need. It doesn't come together and I just give up.

Poetry, even if it's terrible at least I get it all together and "complete". It has a beginning and an end... prose I can't ever really seem to do that.
:iconnemox7:
NemoX7 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012   Writer
Hmm I can work well with both. Poetry, which is my main passion. I have developed a structure, which for me, keeps it a look easier than trying to reform a structure all the time. Also it's interesting to see how I can style each poem with a different theme, rhyme scheme, and mix up the word choice/imagery. Prose, on the overhand, is a problem. Since I was a kid I've taken to over-complicating my work. Which makes something quite simple become something inflated and lost in a pile of words. Still poetry I can write off top of my head within seconds, while prose I try and form some kind of plan. Though I prefer reading prose more than poetry (not a fan of non-rhyming poetry, it has to have a sort of beat to it like a song (which is what I try to implement in my own poetry and songs)).
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Professional Artist
Neither is that hard, I just need drive and an idea. In poetry's case, I just usually need to be really ****ing pissed or in some other emotional case.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Professional Artist
state*

not emotional case

Damnit, DA really needs to let people edit their comments some day.
:iconrazgriz-3:
Razgriz-3 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Hmhmhmhmhmhm.... I daresay prose is more difficult for some, and poetry more difficult for others. It's different parts of the brain, in a sense. Need to be more rhythmic for one, more detailed for the other...
:iconrazor13:
Razor13 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
On a good day neither is hard for me. It also depends on what message I want to get out. If I had to choose then prose is harder.

Why? For the simple matter that I seem to have trouble getting some things done on time. >.> NaNoWriMo helped with that. Poetry just seems easier to write because it's often shorter than prose.
:iconvigilo:
Vigilo Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Writer
Prose, because I could never write a person, mostly - that whole idea of having a character escapes me, as in, making someone up and having things done to them and knowing how they would react, and knowing how they are regarding everything? I can't do that. People are too 3D for me.

Prose also tends to require a longer attention span, I think? How do you consistent plot? :lol: I mean, if I tried to write a long story, eventually I'd get bored and throw in dragons having an epic space opera in the plot for fun.
:iconnehasoft:
nehasoft Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
no i never feel that poetry is hard even i always enjoyed it when i was in my school
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Writer
Poetry. Apart from poetry snobs, which I stereotype as being depressive and well-dressed, with a potential for alcoholism if old, and if young, a tendency to like Indie bands that only sing about the romantic mirages in their heads, having castrated almost any kind of spirit of rock and roll from their sound-- I consider the penning of good poetry to be.. a bitch.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
:lol:

Hmm, is 'The Black Keys' still indie?
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional Writer
I don't know I consider that bar music.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
:shrug:
:icongoreblowndeer:
Goreblowndeer Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Making either worth reading seems to be a concurrent challenge for everyone on this site.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
What does 'worth' reading mean? I mean, in 500 years archaeologists might be into any scraps they find, so by one definition it's just a matter of time.
:iconunitedsymbol:
UnitedSymbol Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Writer
Prose because the development you put into it. It takes forever unless your making a poetry book with a plot.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Poetry. I love experimenting with different styles of poems--slam poetry, sonnets, rengas--but inevitably I haven't made enough study of any given form to do it well. I read prose far more than I read or listen to poetry, and as a result I can bang out a decent rough draft of a story pretty quickly, whereas a poem, it's like: "Okay! I wrote a line! ... Actually, j/k, hate that line. I wrote a word!"

Takes me forever. But then when I write a good one I feel all accomplished, so I keep doing it.
Nice.
:iconvampirenyan:
VampireNyan Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
poetry is easier for me, becuase it is.. hmm... like a play with words. I write poetry to "picture" an emotion or feeling or yeah... but also because I simply think some words are beautiful and deserves to be used together with other beautiful words.

prose is for me more about getting a story "out". And it's hard for me not to hang up on details and make it purple prose-ish. :)
That makes sense. You can do vignettes, though ;p

Why don't you write out the details and go back and then edit them out later?
:iconvampirenyan:
VampireNyan Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
meh:) i can... again because that's more a picture of a moment... :P

good idea... i should try:) thanks:)
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
Good poetry is harder than good prose, but for the layperson poetry would be easier.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Are we not holding the layperson to the same standards as someone who knows what 'good' is, then?
I don't mean to say 'good' has a standard. I guess what I meant to say is that a person who wants to write just to write and is not trying to create 'good' art is going to find it easier to write a poem due to it's ease of form, good or bad.

I should have tried to explain better.
No worries, was simply nitpicking ;p

Why would a not-'good' poem be easier than prose, though?
I think because a prose would have to have some theme and character development regardless of how good it is. A poem can, I'm sorry to say, be VERY base if the writer doesn't put effort into it.
Couldn't you just have a prose vignette, though? ;p
Yeaaaaaah I thought of mentioning that. Those straddle the line and are rare enough that I can't come to any solid conclusion.
Haha, they're a tricky case. I always argue prose is easier just because line breaks alone shouldn't define poetry.
(1 Reply)
:iconlifeheartcross:
LifeHeartCross Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I find prose a fair bit harder because my poetry generally have a rhythm or rhyme so one is restricted on such things. Prose on the otherhand, is freewheeling with no such restrictions and sometimes you just don't know where to go from a certain place. If you're stuck on poetry, you could easily, say yours last word was tear, make a list of wordsthat rhyme with tear e.g. here, clear, fear... and manipulate a sentance to fit it. Prose for me, when you're stuck, you stay stuck.
:icondtkinetic:
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Looks like the link doesn't work: [link]
:icondtkinetic:
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do both and I definitely find poetry harder.
I think the hardest part of prose is simply getting your story together which indeed does take a lot of thought.

But for poetry (especially deep and professional poetry), you have to quickly extract such vivid images, similes, and allusions from just your mind with little to no support from anything else. When I'm writing such descriptions in prose, figurative language comes easy because of the support from specific settings, characters and situations which have already been explained. And with no story but just a compilation of ideas and images, most times it's real hard to stay coherent or have direction.
Furthermore, Poetry also requires rhythm, flow, timing and sometimes rhyming.
Just look at this example:
[link]
:iconthehistoryfreak13:
thehistoryfreak13 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Well I'm a poet and I find writing prose to be extremely difficult. I am a lazy person at times, and I like to express my opinions in a short but passionate way. It is so much fun to find ways to move a reader with so little, and that is usually the challenge of most poets. I greatly admire prose writers because anytime I try to write prose I get intense writers block. It is annoying, because at times I think to write a book, or at least attempt to like in event like NanoRimo, but I can't. Hey my college essay, I wrote a poem because I couldn't write a proper essay because it didnt truly define who I am. That can be a limitation at times for me as well. So that is how I go:)
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Try figuring out what's at the source of your block?

Good luck with the college poem. Haven't heard of that being done before.
Oh i already did it I they were for supplement essays and I had spent so long trying to write an official essay, one that would sound quirky and nice but nothing came. Then I just started writing a poem in my Lit class and I was like 'omg this follows the prompt ahhhh' and i ended up writing 2 poem essays I am soo proud of them!!!

Most people think the source of my block is that I strive for perfection when I write so whenever i write a sentence i immediately hate it and erase it. It's really frustrating
Ooh.

Yeah, something I see a lot is 'finish it before editing it.' I agree with this, mostly because it helps keep the work consistent.
I completely agree but my mind is being mean to my and I end up staring at a blank screen for five hours grrrrr
Try handwriting it? Or planning it out so you know where you want to go.
Hmm where do u think I should do it because sometimes people have special places to write and get ideas, and i dont go out much so I'd like to know if that is true for some writers
No idea. If I have an idea and it lasts more than 24 hours, I don't have a problem writing it out (as long as I think through the direction). Soudns like something you could Google, though.
(1 Reply)
:iconcatluvr2:
catluvr2 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Honestly, it depends on my mood. Sometimes prose rolls off my tongue/keyboard/pen/etc, and sometimes poetry is easier. Right now I think that I'm not in the mood to do either, but that could change in a couple of minutes.
What mood do you need fo reach?
:iconcatluvr2:
catluvr2 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, for poetry I need to be in a fairly simple mood, depending on the type of poetry. You know, de da de da de da de da. For prose, I need to be in more of a mood that looks closely at everything, because that's what I tend to do with prose. Although there have been the occasional twists between the two.
:O
:iconmattiello:
Mattiello Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional Writer
Honestly, I can find both difficult, depending upon what I need to say. Free verse is always easier than form, and dialogue can be a killer in stories. But I love to write both, so I guess I like a good challenge.
I find free verse hard because I can't function without any guidelines at all. Well, I have no way of telling if I've done good. :B
:iconmattiello:
Mattiello Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Writer
Gotcha. I just developed my style here. I found out what I like and what others like. I can blend them sometimes, but at other times I'm the only one the ends up liking what I write. That all that matters, really. :lol:
:iconshurely:
Shurely Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Prose.

Prose (in my opinion) is much much harder. Well, that's if you're writing it from scratch (fanfictions aren't really from scratch - they have 'pre-made' characters and setting that are available) and you want it to be outstanding. It's all about making the ideas and writing flow together, and keeping your reader interested at the same time. Most poems are short, so the reader won't be easily bored. Plus, poems are more about expressing yourself rather than keeping the reader entertained - trust me when I say keeping readers entertained is downright difficult when you have no idea of what the general public want.

I write both poetry and prose, and prose will always be harder. Poetry has...I don't know...guidelines that make it easier. Prose, you just have to write and see where it goes.
How long is your prose, usually?

Also, you can plan the whole thing out beforehand.
Add a Comment: