Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 325

Writers You Hate

:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional
There seems to be a trend of "What writers do you look up to and why?" being a question posed, in high school writers' craft classes and similar places that end up recruiting people onto our lit forums, in effort to help young'uns find their style. This question is nice and all—touchy-feely happiness is good for the feelers—but, let's be real, there's another stab.

What writer do you hate and think is just an overrated piece-of-shit hack, and why?

For me it's e e cummings, because he's a dirty fucking hipster and because everyone tries to be him, poorly, solely on the basis of him being a dirty fucking hipster.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconliliwrites:
LiliWrites Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Stephen King. The man spends three pages describing one room. :B
:iconanotherhappycamper:
AnotherHappyCamper Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Jack Keroauc. He's another hipster who doesn't value introspection enough. He also bad mouthed Herman Hesse, which is unforgivable in my book. Hah, in my book.
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
The poser known as Christopher Paolini. Plots ripped off wholesale, Mary Sues all over the damn place, not even bothering to research his books; he just annoys the f&^k out of me.
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I love ee cummings, but to each his own. For me it's Emily Dickinson! I can't stand her poetry. She wrote hundreds of poems and I only know of 3 or 4 that I somewhat like. I don't know why people love her so much.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Professional Artist
Also, Aristotle. The guy is like a watered down version of Plato, who was a watered down and tweaked version of of Socrates (if I am remembering the names correctly). He is just so preachy and dull. At least Plato's Republic had some neat ideas.
Dan Ryckert on Game Informer. I hold nothing personal against the guy but just... gah, his reviews are so childish sometimes. And he seems to apparently enjoy hating certain franchises, and yet they keep having him review said games... I just, at this point, don't even comment on his articles unless by accident. He feels less like he's on their writing/editing team for talent, more because he's their pet writer who's meant to be "quirky" in the most annoying ways possible.
:iconanukeorsplatter:
AnukeorSplatter Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
There should be a drinking game for everytime you see Stephanie Meyers.
Oh..... yes, there should. Bad plots, shallow flat characters, simply horrible.
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Professional Artist
But then what little grammar is left in these posts will be lost!
AnukeorSplatter Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
True, and this is a literature forum.

Wait... what do I care? I'm underaged.
Age means nothing. I started my career in modding/indie development of videogames back when I was learning mod tools at age 12. It's all about how you use your abilities. Hell, I've seen kids no older than eight who had more social understanding and grace than grown "men" (I use the term loosely) in their late twenties.
AnukeorSplatter Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Oh, that was directed towards the comment about drinking. But I agree. Sofistication can come with age, but some people start on a higher level than others.
And some can degenerate rather than sophisticate... unfortunately
:iconwillwriteforhearts:
willwriteforhearts Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Writer
JAMES. PATTERSON.

I'm sure he's a nice guy in real life but man do his books bother me T_T I guess I don't hate them, but geez... I don't even know.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional
he's up there for "most popular reply on this thread".
:iconwillwriteforhearts:
willwriteforhearts Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
Oh! Geez sorry for reposting, I suppose I just missed them somehow ^^;
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Hans Holzer. He writes books about ghosts and ghost-hunting. He seems to enjoy the smell of his own ass, and expects the reader to enjoy it as well. Now, I'm not against a bit of recreational ass-smelling, but there's a time and place.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional
The smell of my ass, while pungent, is also floral. The world should enjoy.
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
With a tinge of holly, I assume? Festive!
:iconfrozensoulghost:
frozensoulghost Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Charlotte Bronte.
Have to read Jayne Eyre for school instead of enjoying Christmas holidays :(
*blink* *blink*

..uh, okay then.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional
I'm probably going to hell for suggesting this, but, just read the Spark Notes version.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You're going to Hell for like fifteen other things, so mleh :shrug:
:iconfrozensoulghost:
frozensoulghost Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
thanks, will do
might just go on wiki to find out what it's about
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
Aside from the obvious Danielle Steel or Stephanie Meyers types I have never liked Dante Alighieri. His writing is repetitious and bland. Yes he had allegories and imagination, but he did not have the ability to pen it skillfully.
It really depends on the translation, unless you're reading it in the original Italian.
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Writer
I wish!
:iconvon19:
von19 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Writer
BLASPHEMY!!!
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional
Dante bored the everloving hell out of me.
:iconnewyorkmornings:
newyorkmornings Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Writer
Stephen Chbosky. Perks of Being a Wallflower is the most self-adoring, stuck up piece of hipster trash I've ever read.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional
DON'T HATE ON HIPSTERS. Except for cummings.
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
Aside from the obvious Danielle Steel or Stephanie Meyers types I have never liked Dante Alighieri. His writing is repetitious and bland. Yes he had allegories and imagination, but he did not have the ability to pen it skillfully.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Digital Artist
Sorry to be a johnny-come-lately, but James Bloody Patterson. :B

I probs wouldn't say hate, I don't have any personal beef with him, but the books of his I read were, well, kind of bad. I read a few because he's 'the master of the thriller' and I wanted to learn a bit of thrillingness. Sure enough, it's very page turney, but after you put the book down halfway through, it's not really engaging overall-plotwise. It's like just a series of life-threatening events. (And one thing that really annoyed me was that I had no idea whether Alex Cross was black or white, because there was something in the book that led me to believe he was black, then somebody called him "white man" and I was like, "Just bloody tell me!") But at least I learned to stop worrying about whether my chapters were too short. I've got nothing on that guy. :D
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional
IT'S PAGE-TURN-Y BECAUSE EACH HALF-PAGE IS A GODDAMN CHAPTER.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Digital Artist
:nuu:
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm going to make some people cry but I loathe Tolkein's writing style.

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, the stories, absolutely fantastic, all hail Tolkein, but I just want to tell him "please do not waffle on about useless stuff". The novels are soooo slllloooow and soooo long and I really do not need to know the exact detail of every single bloody blade of grass.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Student Writer
I call him, "The King of Run-On Sentences". I love his mind - by God, do I love his stories. I just dislike his actual writing style. Now, The Hobbit, much more bearable. Children of Hurin was also a decently written book.
Pretty much the same for me.
TristanCody Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Writer
:handshake:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
I find that the Hobbit seems to have been written with the aim of it being a story. The Lord of the Rings was him just going a bit nuts on the history and such and forgetting a little about story...
TristanCody Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Writer
Sounds about right.
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional
I'm shocked how many people dislike Tolkien's style! It's a trend on this thread... people seem to think he's purple as an overused penis.
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
I think his brain and what it came up with is fantastic. I unfortunately feel he approached his novel(s) like a history textbook leaving it dry and a little bit dull. There's a lot of detail about everything in there that could have been stripped back but was obviously beloved to a man who wanted people to know every detail about this world he created. I would not want to rewrite it however, but I think the movies did a fantastic job of drawing the key story out and presenting it in a different way. And it's great some of his songs and lyrics actually got turned into songs for the musical. But things like the Council of Elrond scene told me a lot I did not need to know, it was like 50 pages of stuff when as a story I needed to know "ring bad, gollum bad, frodo take ring, people pledge to help" as opposed to how each and every character (some of whom we never see again) came to be there.
:iconkimono-chimera:
Kimono-chimera Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
As a person who admittedly has never read the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings series, my mom said the same thing about his books; and personally remembered just skipping chunks of the book to get to the rest of the plot. Sounds to me like Tolkein should have had pictures in the book of what he was trying to describe, so as not to bore the audience. Then again, those details work better as part of a movie because their is less time taken, but the same feeling can still be conveyed.
:iconladybrookecelebwen:
LadyBrookeCelebwen Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I can see why you wouldn't like Tolkien, if you just want the main story to be told...personally, as someone who wants a sense of history and detail in their fantasy, it's amazing.* But if you want a story, it's dull as rocks.

*I need all those details. Fantasy that doesn't hint at the history tends to just leave me going, "Okay, but why is this happening? Why do these two groups of people hate each other? Why is this bad? Why is this good? Why should I care about this fantasy world?" ...if all I'm left with is half a dozen characters, I get bored.
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
I've read plenty of fantasy books, and plenty of them that go into the history of the world, but they keep it relevant to what you need to know in regards to the main storyline. In that sense the Hobbit book got it right. But the Lord of the Rings books go into so much detail it goes beyond necessary into the realms of "just get on with the story now please."
:iconkimono-chimera:
Kimono-chimera Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
aka we don't need all this lineage.
And that's the point I was getting at - I understand why you hate Lord of the Rings, if you want to only know what you need to know in regards to the main storyline. I often don't like fantasy books that keep only to what needs to be known in regards to the main storyline, which was my aside that was completely irrelevant. I was just saying that contrary to so many other people, I get why other people don't like LotR because of that...
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
My thing is I love to know, but sort of later... when you've got me hooked and I'm now a fan and want to know everything. When you're trying to hook me into a book I don't need to spend ages at a council learning nothing at all except we have to take the ring to mount doom.

By the time I got into TTT or ROTK I was enjoying it a lot more as I already loved the world so knowing more was great. But Fellowship just dragged and dragged. And yes it's a more modern idea to "hook" readers.. but it works. Early on you have to make me care not turn me off.
Yeah, I get that feeling too...I'll be honest, in spite of being one of the biggest Tolkien fans ever, I don't like Fellowship of the Ring or The Hobbit very well. Too many hobbits and dwarves. ;p

I watched the movies before I ever read a book, so I was already hooked. :shrug: I honestly don't get the people who say that the movies are going to damage the Tolkien fandom forever for that very reason. If I came from them and now own the entire History of Middle-earth set....but going back to the point, I have that problem about not being hooked even with modern stories. I mean, I can't think of a book I've read in recent memory where I was hooked from the beginning and didn't end up fed up with the book by the end. It's a delicate balance...
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: