Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 136

3 Quiet Fears that Stop Writers from Writing

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
[link] - personally it was too damn rambly, but here are the tl;dr points I found. Thankfully it wasn't too difficult.

1 - fear of being seen
2 - fear of being humiliated
3 - fear of aloneness

All I can think when I see this is 'are you fucking serious, do we need to propagate the bullshit stereotype of writers crying themselves to sleep every night.'

Discuss, please.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstevefortosis:
SteveFortosis Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
As a writer, you can't allow fear to hold you back. It is amazing to me how many people have manuscripts buried in closets or drawers. They were excited about them once and dreamed of publishing them, but the dream died because they didn't have the nerve to send the manuscript out. Maybe they were afraid to let anyone see their stuff, or they got a few rejections, or it wasn't quite up to par. Self publishing is no longer vanity publishing and it is more and more often considered legit. I edit or ghostwrite your content for publication and I've been doing it for a number of years. My site is [link]. Take the plunge!
:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I think the one fear that has stuck out in my mind over all the time I've decided to become a writer was probably one of the more general ones: I just don't want to fail.

Has that stopped me? Hell no. I'm gonna keep writing, and one day, I will see my own name on a bookshelf, no matter how long that takes.
:iconworldhero:
WorldHero Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Filmographer
For the longest time when I started out, it was some of #1 and mostly #2; I was afraid of being seen and being embarrassed by it. Probably because I had myself in it (I still do...Only changed the character to just be based on me) and it was horrible writing. Really horrible. And corny.

But then I got over both when I started high-school. :happybounce:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:w00t:
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
Reminds me of this: [link]
:iconexillior:
Exillior Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nah, just "knowledge of inadequacy".
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Word.

Honestly though, I don't see the problem with thinking you need to improve as long as you don't end up never producing.
Exillior Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Agreed. It's pretty damn awful when you can't see the faults in your own writing, because you can sprout bellyfuls of nonsense and you wouldn't spot it. That said, in my humble experience, the reason I see holding back most writers from cranking out words is disappointment in what does come out.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I mean my answer to that is the 'duh why don't you just produce what you DO want to see,' but I know perfectly well it's not that easy. I mean, theoretically I know it. At the time I write stuff, I like what I've written. A week later, eew.
Exillior Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
... That rarely happens with me nowadays. Normally I know, when I'm writing it, that it's not good, and I can even point out its weaknesses. And I like that about it, because that means that I can edit it into something good. :)
Add a Comment: