Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 136

3 Quiet Fears that Stop Writers from Writing

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
[link] - personally it was too damn rambly, but here are the tl;dr points I found. Thankfully it wasn't too difficult.

1 - fear of being seen
2 - fear of being humiliated
3 - fear of aloneness

All I can think when I see this is 'are you fucking serious, do we need to propagate the bullshit stereotype of writers crying themselves to sleep every night.'

Discuss, please.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstevefortosis:
SteveFortosis Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
As a writer, you can't allow fear to hold you back. It is amazing to me how many people have manuscripts buried in closets or drawers. They were excited about them once and dreamed of publishing them, but the dream died because they didn't have the nerve to send the manuscript out. Maybe they were afraid to let anyone see their stuff, or they got a few rejections, or it wasn't quite up to par. Self publishing is no longer vanity publishing and it is more and more often considered legit. I edit or ghostwrite your content for publication and I've been doing it for a number of years. My site is [link]. Take the plunge!
:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I think the one fear that has stuck out in my mind over all the time I've decided to become a writer was probably one of the more general ones: I just don't want to fail.

Has that stopped me? Hell no. I'm gonna keep writing, and one day, I will see my own name on a bookshelf, no matter how long that takes.
:iconworldhero:
WorldHero Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Filmographer
For the longest time when I started out, it was some of #1 and mostly #2; I was afraid of being seen and being embarrassed by it. Probably because I had myself in it (I still do...Only changed the character to just be based on me) and it was horrible writing. Really horrible. And corny.

But then I got over both when I started high-school. :happybounce:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:w00t:
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
Reminds me of this: [link]
:iconexillior:
Exillior Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nah, just "knowledge of inadequacy".
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Word.

Honestly though, I don't see the problem with thinking you need to improve as long as you don't end up never producing.
Exillior Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Agreed. It's pretty damn awful when you can't see the faults in your own writing, because you can sprout bellyfuls of nonsense and you wouldn't spot it. That said, in my humble experience, the reason I see holding back most writers from cranking out words is disappointment in what does come out.
I mean my answer to that is the 'duh why don't you just produce what you DO want to see,' but I know perfectly well it's not that easy. I mean, theoretically I know it. At the time I write stuff, I like what I've written. A week later, eew.
Exillior Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
... That rarely happens with me nowadays. Normally I know, when I'm writing it, that it's not good, and I can even point out its weaknesses. And I like that about it, because that means that I can edit it into something good. :)
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Woo!
:iconkoppo:
Koppo Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
whatever I do post*. Not write, I write for my own reason.
:iconkoppo:
Koppo Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
whatever I do write, I feel is to contribute in part for what I read. I partake in others writing and stand outside the window and look into their minds. So I think it's fair that I open up a porthole on my mind. That's why I post some of my writings.

I'd rather not be seen. If I could just upload everything anonymously, I would.For the simple fact I'd rather people leave comments with no grain of preference. No worry about their friends feelings, or just trying to be nice. Just commenting truthfully.Being able to connect or sympathize with the emotion or subject matter would be the highest honor.That somebody,somewhere was able to put into words, something you feel or felt in a moment in your life.A feeling you thought was beyond words, or expression. But that's me.
That makes sense--the work should be able to stand without all that prior knowledge junk.
:iconengelsblau:
Engelsblau Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Actually, I've stopped writing because it makes me depressed for some reason.
Yeah, I don't know why.
Oh man, I was just reading something about how writing can make things worse. Maybe you need a change, at least for a while.
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All of those are markers of low self-esteem, and aren't restricted to writers. If you have low self-esteem, you're likely to give up too soon on just about everything, not just writing.

That article probably won't help anyone who needs the help, because it's not going to fix their self-esteem problems, which I think is where all of that comes from.
Right? It's just setting up an excuse for doing nothing about it. 'Writers are like this so that's ok.'
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's exactly what it reads like. When writers think this is normal for the crowd, it probably has a strong effect on the attitudes of prospective writers. I bet the average perception of writers being whiny emotional wrecks who do drugs to feed their creativity drives more people away from writing than fears of inadequacy do.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, I'd believe it. Or that being famous makes you crazy, so you best underachieve.
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I prefer to look at that last one the other way around. You need to be a special kind of crazy to succeed. If you want to succeed in anything, you have to be willing to take risks most people would 'wisely' steer clear of, and be a workaholic. The problem is, once you achieve your goal, you may well fall off the rails unless you can move on to the next thing you want to focus on.
I like this much more.
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My dad explained it to me that way. I don't know where he got that single-serving soundbite of wisdom from, but wherever it came from, it's one I'm glad to have learned. For me, it gave greater clarity to one of the points Roosevelt touched upon in his Man in the Arena speech at Sorbonne in 1910. :)

I also love that it gives me an excuse to do crazy things ;)
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ooooo. :giggle:
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Okay...for some one who is shy with a flip-floppy self-esteem, I don't understand this article. To me writing would actually help people with those fears not keep them from it.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't ask me. I think this person needs to get some perspective.
:iconthorns:
thorns Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   Writer
Wait, whut?

Writers aren't required to cry themselves to sleep every single night? :O

You're sure?

:iconwhutplz:

:shifty: I've been doing it wrong for years! This is about as bad as Mr. Mexican Baby showed me the way you're supposed to plunge a toilet, you know, without splashing gross stuff all over your shoes. :ashamed:
Haha, Mexican Baby has many lessons for you!

And I'm pretty sure you're supposed to write poetry with your tears.
:icondaghrgenzeen:
Daghrgenzeen Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
'Fear of being seen' - yes. If someone sees my drafts before I'm done with them, the ideas... die. :dead:
I don't like people in the room when I'm writing, even. D:
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Writer
Neither do I. It gets really extremely aggravating when someone asks me why I'm in a cigarette-tinged banana costume or "Where is that gobbling sound coming from?"
Daghrgenzeen Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, my fiance always gets upset when I scream at him BACK OFF when I'm writing and he peeks over my shoulder. :dead: Perhaps I should word it more nicely, but man I just panic that the idea will wither away. :( sniff.
:lol: he should've learned by now!
Daghrgenzeen Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I knoooow right. :lol:
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
With writing it's all down to the fact that I don't like being told I'm wrong, which is a self esteem thing. I don't like being told I made a spelling mistake, even if I did, or that my idea isn't good or whatever.

With visual Art I've always had that boost in knowing within myself I'm good at this, so I'm a bit more pushy about what I want because I know I can make it well. But when it comes to writing my scripts I do worry a bit. It's not the fear of being humiliated, or the aloneness, it's the fear that people will think I'm stupid because I think my script is good. But then I remember people like my art and people like the story so far, so I must be doing something ok.
:D external validation is a fantastic thing.

I'm cripplingly insecure about my own traditional work because I have very high standards for it. But. Well, that's on me.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
External Validation is something that builds into my own image of myself, and it's not a requirement for me to have, certainly not with my visual art now, or really ever... but something I intend to be read, it's nice to know I'm going the right direction.

The main thing that can stop me from doing whatever is actually expecting too much from myself, or thinking I expected a client or a while back, university tutors, wanted me to do a certain style of work. Then I'd panic and go "BUT I HATE MY REALISM WORK" and panic some more and put it off and never do it.

Instead of realising they're paying me to do what I do best, not to do exactly what they want. Yes when you get commissioned you're drawing what the client wants, but they didn't hire you to do something you don't do, like for me realistic oil painting. They hired me to do loose fun colourful work so just relax and do it!
Word.

Yes, for sure! Haha, I haven't finished a traditional art in multiple years.

:D awesome.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, when you narrow it down, this all comes to self esteem.
I don't think this is true for every writer, but it is true for those that lack confidence in the first place. But that doesn't go for writers alone. It goes for artists in general.
Expressing your true feelings in either writing or art make you kind of vulnerable, to a point in which rejection could be harsh.
Yes this. Deal with your issues as a person. Not as a 'writer.'
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah... but writers like to reflect on their selves that way. Just because they're writers and they like reflecting on stuff XD
:icondindeen:
DinDeen Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Eh, only number 1 applies to me and that's because I like my alone time. Even though people try to talk to me, I stay away from them when I am writing or drawing because I want to focus on what I am doing. My close friends and family know and respect that; other people are less likely to do so and when I try to explain, they dismiss me as being a selfish loner (not everyone, but quite a lot of people did). But I'm not really deathly afraid of being seen itself; I mean, if I'm writing just for myself, I wouldn't post my stuff.

I don't really care about being humiliated or alone. I can differentiate between honest and helpful criticism, and just plain bitchy, rude comments. I don't give a damn about the latter.

Oh, and I find it ironic that a person who is "afraid of being seen" is also "afraid of aloneness". How does that even work? =/
I like my alone time, but I'm not "afraid of being seen." Just there are times when a girl needs to think and much as I love my friends, getting wasted doesn't help there. Although kitties totally help. Yes.

Painfully! It's like you want to interact with people, but are too afraid of screwing it up or being judged or whatever. So still the need for it, but a fear that it'll all blow up.
:icondindeen:
DinDeen Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not afraid of being judged. I actually think that other people are too afraid or worried about it. Afraid of screwing it up? Quite a bit. I often speak in a straightforward manner without the soft tone. If someone asks "where is [this] place?", my answer is "turn around that corner and it's right in front of you", not "oh are you lost? want me to go with you?". After the fact, only then will I realize that I sounded rude, etc.

Also, I guess I'm worried about where I'll draw the line between socialization and being by myself? When I start talking with people, sometimes all they want to do is talk more and I can't get away to do other things xD
Yes, absolutely! I sometimes agonise about social interactions afterwards, and it's like 'bitch you can't change this, FOCUS.'

Haha, bad timing on their part. But I get that mood, I just try to push it away until I can get away.
:iconnichrysalis:
Nichrysalis Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I think they've played too many games of connect-the-dots....
correlation does NOT equal causation! :lol:
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Good thing those don't apply to me :dummy:

Ok maybe the humiliating part a little bit but hey, that's scary D:
Yeah, I used to be embarassed about posting what I liked rather than what other people liked, but I got over that :icondivaplz:
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:dummy: Courage, bravery, and all that jazz, right?
Add a Comment: