Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 54

What have you Googled today?

:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Writer
What have you Googled today in relation to your writing? Info on publishers, magazines, etc. Books you want to read. Authors. Things you're researching for a manuscript. What have you Googled?

Did you make any posts on the forum without Googling first? About something that was easy to Google? Did you email or note someone you consider knowledgeable without trying to find an answer on your own?

How do you go about finding answers to your writing questions. BE HONEST. Do you think you're doing it right?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Writer
I once googled myself and made a flarf of it. Just because.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Writer
Today I googled "What is dog vision like". Yay for being edumacated.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student General Artist
It's week-before-finals-week (which imo is tougher than actual finals week), so I googled OWL Purdue. Which actually can be a great resource even if you're writing fiction, but I generally only think to use it for MLA/APA citations and whatnot.
:iconsomenavyseals:
SomeNavySEALs Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Dilatant non-Newtonian synthetic elastomeric polymers, polycarbonate resin thermoplastics, transportation problems in the DC area, building laws in the DC area (research noted and ignored), "Omnes relinquite spes, o vos intrantes ", "Velocitas Eradico", blended wing body aircraft, and the battles of Tarawa, Okinawa, and Iwo-Jima.

It's all related I swear. >_>
:iconmagnius159:
Magnius159 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Working from the latests:
Blackhouses
Buckthorn
Yaks
Yak calls
Tibet
Lao Morlan musicians
Khaen
Sorley MacLean
leabhar beag
Erraid
Corrie, Arran
Holy Island
Scotland's healing honey
caithris
Inchlaggan
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Writer
Scotland's healing honey. :lol:
:iconmagnius159:
Magnius159 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I used to work in a hospital so the news about it being able to kill MRSA was very interesting.
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Today I googled "toddler refuses to poop"
Apparently that translates to constipation. Diet change recommended.
:icongalaxygoddess:
GalaxyGoddess Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
better than mine: "Toddler flings poop"
:icondrippingwords:
DrippingWords Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Writer
Information about WWII.

I never make forum posts XP Haha
:iconfutilitarian:
futilitarian Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Writer
Royal Mail tracker
life of pi times sheffield centretainment

:shrug: nothing writing-wise. Oh well.
:iconfutilitarian:
futilitarian Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Writer
OK seriously, I looked up euphemisms for farts. Happy now?
PinkyMcCoversong Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Writer
BEST DAY EVER.
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
A lot for research, as it happens. Lots of historical stuff in Europe, China and the US ca. 1850-1870.

When I know what I don't know, and think the forum will help me know those things, then I'll come calling.
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Feftasprite from Homestuck.
Haven't googled anything on writing though, the last was regarding citations for school, MLA and APA and all.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
fanfiction

Writing exercises. :nod: Now I have a big list, and a book full of them.
That's a pretty good Google!!!
:iconsahidenethare:
SahidenEthare Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Writer
IT stuff, because that's my day job. :saddummy:
The last writing related search I did was for additional information on an agent I was about to query.
I totally want to know who. Note me if you want!
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
ps. I totally want to ask the corollary, which is at what point you turn it in and forum ;p
Yes. This!
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
All day long I've been googling up television and radio shows featuring Boston accents, since that's what my narrator has. I also googled the shit out the bits that are written in French, because I have no faith in myself. And I googled the tendons and ligaments associated with the hip joints, because somebody's performing a dissection. And I googled a number of different technologies and medical knowledge to see if they'd actually been invented/discovered in the time period in question.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This would have been more interesting if it wasn't limited to just things related to writing and just what people have Googled in general...Which seems to be what most people have done, so I will too :dummy:

I googled "Pokeball Variants" - since my brother was trying to name all the types and what they do, so I saved him some time.
I googled "Perforated Leather" = since someone suggested that as a material idea for a leather jacket I designed and I wanted to know what exactly it was.
And I googled "Sever wonders of the World" since a conversation came up about that and I wanted to know what they all were.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Then it'd be in Deviants :eyes:
:iconfenicksreborn:
fenicksreborn Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Writer
Maybe there should be a similar thread in Deviants. :P
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do it :eager:
fenicksreborn Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Writer
I will in the morning. :P (Only up to do my medications right now.)
AbCat Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Writer
List of google searches in the last 24 hours:

prime numbers
deaths in us prisons
likud
nfl scores
Єс ай кнов
usurp
parking eye
america
our name is john
Now I know what Parking Eye is.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Writer
Usurp! :la: That's a good word to have handy.
AbCat Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Writer
It was a terrible word - I was using Google as a thesaurus to find the right word. =p
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   Writer
Have you considered Thesaurus.com? :p That's what I use it for. You can usually find the word you're thinking of within a few clicks.
AbCat Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Writer
Typing 'usurp' into Google gives several thesaurus or dictionary options.
:iconthelittleone:
thelittleone Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I googled architecture, archery, and geology today. Sounds random, but I was interested in the skill of archery for one character, the career of architecture for another, and geology to help determine setting in a way that I may use for plot purposes (for one, anyone who builds a house certainly needs to understand what kind of land to build on and I was looking for any chemical compounds that can be utilized in the plot, perhaps something combustible or conductive).

When researching for a story (beyond actual writing tips) I like to start with things like this. I like to get a handle on my characters skills, professions, and surroundings in a way that will affect the plot. And sometimes I just pick things at random...One day I did nothing but read up on Comedia del Arte and its history :XD:
:iconsaartha:
saartha Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I googled on whether I could use a particular adjective in an obscure way, or if I was just imagining that usage. Far as I can tell I was just making it up :(
fenicksreborn Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Writer
Sadly, nothing in relation to my writing lately. Today I Googled things for my class assignment (so I could understand it better) and the color cornsilk for some LJ icons I'm making.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist
The last thing I Googled was "science fiction stories about Mars", since I had an idea for a story - but I could swear something like it had already been done. Sure enough, it had. I was just thinking about "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed", that I read almost twenty years ago.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Writer
I googled some words to validate their meanings before using them and then a few Literary Magazines for consideration.
:iconclaycowboys:
ClayCowboys Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Writer
I double-checked a date on an old song I wanted a character to listen to in a certain scene. The story is set in 1962 and I wanted to make sure I wasn't adding an anachronism into the story. Where research is concerned, most of it is done by reading or interviewing people. If it's a minor thing like a song or a tv show, I'll google. And if I can't find it on google, I ask on yahoo answers. I usually get a helpful old person or two who know the answer. :) I'm so glad 1962 wasn't so long ago that I can't find people who were around back then to talk to. :)
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Information on the Human Resource career path and sun signs, because I can never remember the names of them all. Not very exciting at all seeing as I didn't remember if I had or not and looked through my history to see if I did do any minor research. You should have caught me a few weeks ago trying to gather information on chronic hepatitis B.
:icongalaxygoddess:
GalaxyGoddess Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why my cat keeps trying to eat all the plastic in the house.

General consensus says I should be taking her to the vet, she might have undiagnosed pica. Fun, vet bill time.

However, when I'm writing something, I tend to try and look up what I can, and if the answers are hard for me to find, I'll try to find other options.

For instance, years ago I wrote a story about an assassin who used specialized bullets. I don't know enough about guns to even know if the idea I had was possible, and I couldn't for the life of me find an adequate answer to my question. Fast forward to now, and it turns out my husband knows a heck of a lot about guns and may not have known the exact answer, but he gave me the information I needed to find the actual answer, and then translated some of the technical terms for me. Turns out, it IS possible, but there's a whole mess of options and other information I would either have to add to my story to make it work, or I go for sci-fi fantasy and try to bullshit my way around the story. I decided to shelf the story for now.
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Today I didn't google but used on-line dictionaries while editing something I have written during the last days.

Yesterday or so I googled about animal symbolism just because I was curious. It is, in a way, related to a story.
I also googled technical inventions lately. Timetables and such.
When I googled plants and herbs, I didn't find what I was looking for, but I will try again.
There is a long list of things I will have to google. Or find somewhere else. When I don't find what I am looking for in a book. Often it is only for background, to see a certain pattern, to learn what is possible or for confirmation.
Just remembered that I will have to google currencies and Guinness Records soon.

I don't like spamming the forum with questions, I rather ask a person I have talked to already. Sometimes I feel like discussing specific issues with other people, but as long as I don't have one particular question, I shy away from opening a thread. Particular questions I can google first. Or ask a friend who is an expert. Then there are writing groups ...

I don't google about publishers. When I stumble upon an interesting link I bookmark it for later use. I don't even think about things like that before I have the whole draft down and edited several times. Would be like trying to sell a pullover before I even started knitting.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
How2Use MLA parenthetical citations :B
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional
You don't want to know what I've googled today.
Totally true.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Writer
I googled "How do I get published?"

Later on in the day (it's still morning time, here) I am likely to do some google map searches to get an idea of landscape in parts of Australia I'm not intimately familiar with or haven't seen in a long time.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Writer
Grumpy Cat on the Today show is all i've done today.

i haven't had to Google writing tips for a while; the last thing was about 2 weeks ago and was how to write hardboiled detective fiction.
GRUMPY CAT.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Writer
i love gc
Cat's name is Tard. She has fans: [link]
Add a Comment: