Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 287

STOP TRYING TO GET PUBLISHED.

:iconpinkymccoversong:
PinkyMcCoversong Dec 1, 2012  Professional Writer
I'm seeing tons and tons of posts about getting published. Posts about publishing and self-publishing by writers who may or may not know what they're getting into when they put their work out there. I'm seeing posts where a writer asks a question about getting published, gets a response they don't like, and then a flamewar ensues. I've seen posts where a writer just starts posting about how destroyed the traditional publishing market is, citing a bunch of bullshit reasons, and claiming that self publishing is the only way.

What I want to know is -- why do you think you're ready to publish? Why is everyone so focused on publishing, rather than asking themselves if that's what they're ready for? Why isn't anyone actually revising, and researching the market, and figuring out how this stuff works, rather than flinging manuscripts at the publishing wall? Why do writers here think that publishing = self-publishing except in the case of fairy godmothers?

STOP. Just stop. Take a step back. What's really going on here, y'all?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I think some mellowing out is due.

Write to write. Life is inconsequential and meaningless, as far as I can tell. While that sounds depressing, I take it as liberating. Do as you please so that you and everyone else in the world may enjoy their lives, instead of worrying about an outcome or an income. I also understand this site has a large teenage demographic, which also leads me to say not to worry about it. It's a long time ahead, kick back, and write when you want to and when you feel like it. Don't worry about being published. Write first, write second, write third, and so on and so forth. Then, if it works out sometime down the line, get published.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
The "people don't understand what they're getting into" part. Not just on forums here (though there are a lot) but in forum posts on other writing sites, etc. It seems like most people are only after the "fame and money". If they knew ANYTHING about publishing, they'd see how hard that is to achieve and how little published authors ACTUALLY get paid. If they're looking to get "paid", then they should go find another career (or at LEAST get a day job). Writing's not going to pay for your meals and your bills, etc. alone unless you're one of the lucky big names. The most I've probably EVER been paid for my writing in a lit. mag was $50 (which isn't bad considering a lot don't pay anymore unless they're some of the bigger names: Glimmer Train, Tin House, etc.). If you're lucky enough to get a short story published in a magazine a year, is that $50 going to be enough to live on?

That and most of them can't take basic critique. If they can't take some helpful hints from people on dA that most likely aren't even being as harsh as REAL criticism would be, how on earth are they going to handle the rejection letters? I don't think many of them even realize that for every acceptance you get, you probably have 10+ rejections (if you submit/query often).

I think the main problem is that the book/publishing industry is so "glorified" in some aspects that people think that they're going to make millions and have fans all over the world obsessing over their work and everything will fall into their lap. Then again, most of the world is "glorified" like that anymore :stare:.
PinkyMcCoversong Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
Man. You must submit conservatively, because I have a much higher rejection rate for lit mags! Ha!

Not to mention, it took me 3 years and over 100 rejections to land an agent.

I think that people are so eager for the end result that they forget the process. It's tough.
Haha I usually do! Nah, if I get one accepted in my monthly send out batch, I'm lucky. I only had one piece accepted this year which I'm even grateful for. I didn't send that much out this year, really (I was too busy). I probably had about 20 rejections or so, but that one acceptence made up for it. This year I'm going to send out much more (and get to revising some other work to get ready to send out).

Indeed. That and they expect a book to get a deal, get everything done, and then slapped on their desk all complete. They don't realize that it takes a good 1.5-2 years if the company's quick to even GET the book out on average (some are closer to a year that I've seen, but more are in the 2 year range I've come across), and all the work they have to put in while they're book's in the process. It's not all sitting back and relaxing. They've got edits to do before the book can come out, etc. It's not like POD where you can copy and paste your manuscript into their program and have the book delivered as is in a week or so.
PinkyMcCoversong Jan 3, 2013  Professional Writer
Yeah if I sold a book tomorrow it would probably come out late 2014, by my estimation. Sometimes it's sooner, depending on what the publisher's lists look like, or other variables...but in general it's about two years from sale to finished product. And all the in between work! It's epic!
Exactly! It's not just sitting back and waiting for the book to be done during those two years. The author has JUST as much work as the publisher during that time making sure everything is ready to go.
:iconblithemisnomer:
BlitheMisnomer Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If we are talking about the worthiness of a book as a BOOK in my opinion, Self-Published or Not, only REAL readers will know if a book is good. With regards to publishing options, I believe that UNLESS you are convinced with your business abilities and marketing sense, DON'T delve into self-publishing out of haste and ideals. Writing a Good book, and Selling it are two different matters. Now, if we are going to talk about getting your book to become popular in the market (without much regard on the profits), traditional publishing may take a LONG while but if you are not an expert in marketing or you don't possess the right connections and monetary resources for getting your book "out there" , especially for first-timers without much business background, better stick to the traditional way-- leave it to the ones who know the trade. However, again, if you are convinced with your business abilities and marketing sense, and you really are keen on self-publishing, there are many ways to get all that funds and connections to attain your goal of gaining both profit and popularity. Although of course, if you don't have the right resources ready, things are always easier said than done. You'd really have to get out there and invest great amounts of time, effort, and money to find sponsors and the right connections. Publishing, like any other business, has a lot of vultures and opportunists. Beware of frauds and all sorts of scammers along the way.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
If it makes you feel any better... there's just about as many idiots in the videogame industry. I've already gone through about 5 potential indie studio members who had no idea what they were getting into. Most people seem to have some idea that entertainment is easy somehow, or that they're a beautiful flower that's perfect no matter what it does.

As for myself, I've gone through a lot of writing and learning and ideas before I even started to hope I'd get published or would self-publish. I'm still doubtful now, but I've had a little success self-publishing a few fanfics and original lit on a blog a while back, so that was heartening. I haven't got my head in the clouds though.
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Dec 30, 2012  Student Writer
Writers want to get published because that is a goal that can be set. Most of the people I know who wanted to get published never bothered after some advanced research about marketing.
PinkyMcCoversong Dec 30, 2012  Professional Writer
I think you missed the point of this post completely.
Add a Comment: