Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 229

i'm totally convinced

:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012   Writer
who here cares about the story? anyone? why does it seem that people lately are more worried about their stupid characters? your story will suffer because your pet characters suck. we can tell. if i had a dollar bill for ever POS story i've read here where the main character is moody, sullen, walking down the hallway of school with his hair in his eyes and backpack over his shoulder and some dumb girl (narrator) swooning over him, there'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin*.

i know a lot of you are new writers. i know a lot of you are in high school. but i don't accept those excuses of any sort. however, i know the lot of you want to improve. in order to do that, you have to get out of your comfort zone. you can still practice but sheesh -- try harder. do better than the bare minimum.

learn what it takes to tell a better story. your one-dimensional characters can't carry what you're doing now, no matter what you think. sorry. how do you learn? you have an internet right in front of you. you don't have to guess at these things. but you have to do the work. it won't miracle itself into your brain if you don't make the effort.

/not that i know what i'm talking about, i've only been doing this for 30 years
//flame on, haters
*obscure?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's a pet peeve of mine when I see kids on here talking about their characters who exist just for the sake of having characters. (For this reason I also find "Adoptables" rather puerile.) If you're not going to do anything with the character, then what's the point of it?
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Writer
agreed. i blame Pokemon ;-)

"collect 'em all!"
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I blame Pokemon for a lot of bad stuff.
:iconmackwrites:
mackwrites Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Commenting super fast, perhaps a longer comment to follow, but: I love plot, and I don't do the dumb characters thing :P
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
(I was about to post a longer comment, but then I hit tab by accident ...)

I must admit that I am guilty of having acne characters (sounds like having a condition or disorder somehow ...). Still I haven't given up hope that it will be possible to write the story I have been wanting to read for ages. (It is not the only story I intend to write, of course.) To avoid misunderstandings: I never felt offended by your post. I realize that you *never* said that *all* writers with a character issue are lazy, immature dorks with one-dimensional characters and no idea of what they are doing. As the backstory of one of my characters turned out to be, as I said, a story I have been wanting to read for ages (and also is heavily inspired by classic literature and historical rather than typical fantasy), I just don't want to give up on it. I rather work even harder to make the transition as it has been called already. (I have been working on the setting, storylines and characters for far more than a year now, they belong together and are influencing each other.) It must be possible ...
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   Writer
anything is possible.
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's all I wanted to hear.

One of the hardest things for me is to decide which advice to take and which to leave, because not everything mentioned in the forum is useful ... People also are different and what works for one person, not necessarily works for someone else.

I think sooner or later I will join your group, because I am always interested in learning/improving general writing issues and techniques.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   Writer
One of the hardest things for me is to decide which advice to take and which to leave, because not everything mentioned in the forum is useful.

i can agree with this. however, here's my gauge: if the advice sounds like BS, it probably is. if the advice sounds like something that IF YOU IMPLEMENTED IT, it would work, give it a shot. however, advice doesn't work if it isn't given a chance. OokamiKasumi here has a lot of tutorials and of the two I've used, the quality of my writing and understanding of what I was doing wrong made me change my habits and not look back. i am about to, with my latest story edit, implement some writing advice that (in all honesty, wasn't intended for advice but was just an explanation of his habits) Troy Parker from South Park relayed in a documentary he was in. i'm not at liberty to say what that is because I haven't used it yet and don't want to pass on BS advice. but it sounds good to me and I'm gonna try it.

pros give shitty-ass advice. sometimes there's a new writer who has stumbled across a nugget of gold. i don't trust the teller, i trust the tale.
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Normally when someone gives advice, I think about it, and in the end I take everything or almost everything.
I rarely would question anything what you, Artaud or a few others here say.
Even a 13-year-old with their gallery full of "diary poetry" might have some very good ideas. Yet sometimes there are self-proclaimed experts with tunnel view. (I mean people who are always right, know everything and don't accept any opinion besides their own.) Then, sometimes, something is simply a matter of taste.
Most of the time it's easy to tell the difference, but sometimes ... it is the same with visual arts, by the way. Some tutorials say never do this, others say you definitely should. As I know far less about visual arts than I do about writing (in theory), this can be very confusing. So all I can do is try over and over again to figure out which method works best for me.
It is not like I started writing yesterday, just that for many years I never really tried and also had no one to ask. Most people I know in RL either are not interested--or awestruck when I show them anything because they never tried. Not very helpful.
For now, my main question is: what do I want to accomplish and which is the best (not necessarily the fastest) way to get there? It also still should be fun and not feel like a chore.
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Writer
For now, my main question is: what do I want to accomplish and which is the best (not necessarily the fastest) way to get there? It also still should be fun and not feel like a chore.

i hope your journey finds you well.
Add a Comment: