Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 65

Writers, Increase Your Budgets.

:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Dec 1, 2012  Professional
Because Duotrope is going subscription-based.

Rather than discussing the odds of getting paid for poetry versus prose, let's do something creative--what two items would you send them to make a goddamned point at how annoying this is?

I'd send them an empty bottle of astroglide and `zebrazebrazebra's destructive Chinese cat.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfutilitarian:
Why can't they just sell their memberlist to shady scamming self-pub scheme recruiters to make money, then cash the cheque and retire? :shrug:
tiganusi Dec 5, 2012  Professional
That's probably, legit, the best marketing idea for them I've heard all week.
:iconjamberry-song:
jamberry-song Dec 2, 2012  Professional General Artist
One of those cardboard tubes when you get to the end of a toilet paper roll, and a mostly finished can of cheez whiz.
tiganusi Dec 2, 2012  Professional
the mostly-finished can of cheez whiz would make my mother commit suicide. she loves that shit.
:iconsnapperz:
Snapperz Dec 1, 2012   Writer
I would send them a turd and a lighter. They can do the rest of the work themselves.

:no: I am not happy. I already pay $12/mo for IMDBpro -- which imo, is actually worth it, because if I get work through there, I get can get paid like 10 grand, as opposed to $5.00 for a short story publication. The good news is I only send out cover letters to publishers about once every six months or so, so I wouldn't mind paying for a one-off month. (I suppose that screws with the submission tracker though -- how does that work when the submission runs out? It just locks you out of your account?)
:iconraspil:
raspil Dec 1, 2012   Writer
do what i did -- go in and make a favorites list of the sites that would accept your work. do it fast, you have what, a month? then you have those sites (and their affiliates) and no need for duotrope. i think i'm on the E's of their alpha list. time to get busy.
tiganusi Dec 1, 2012  Professional
time for an all-nighter and some espresso drip, i think.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Dec 1, 2012  Student General Artist
Oh for the love of balls.

Guess I'm going back to Writer's Market. Which, by the way, is free at the library, even if it is, you know, a book. And I guess New Pages isn't that bad.

But Duotrope is so nice, and I was only just figuring out how to use their search tools in a non-stupid way. And the email updates! Oh well :( .

Look, why don't they just do the dA model? Put really annoying ads on the site, and then people will subscribe to make them stop? I mean, that's why I subscribe here. Or the tumblr model, where the main services are free, and then "bonus" services are pay-as-you-go?

I guess I'd send them a mirror so they could look at their life, look at their choices. And then, you know, some Great Lakes Christmas Ale, because I don't want them to feel too bad, and 'tis the season after all.
:iconzebrazebrazebra:
zebrazebrazebra Dec 1, 2012  Professional Writer
The problem with annoying advertisements is that nearly everyone knows how to use an adblocker these days. That was my first thought, too, but it's not something that would be effective in practice. Sadly.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Dec 1, 2012  Student General Artist
Hmm. Maybe some kind of special bonus content for subscribers. I just keep thinking, you know, why do I subscribe to dA? And it boils down to, I like journal skins and I hate ads.

I dunno, ads seem to work for facebook.
Add a Comment: