Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 84

Why are you still writing?

:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Writer
Okay, let's be honest. Writing is kind of a pain in the ass. It's a lot of work and a lot of time and the best we can hope for is somebody takes the time to read what we've written and then talk about how they would have done it better. You're hardly even likely to get a "Thanks, you entertained me for a few hours." Writing is sweat and tears and headaches and back aches. It rubs the paint of your keys, it keeps you up at night and it takes up all your free time.

Wouldn't it be easier to just play video games or watch football or drink yourself into a stupor? At least those hobbies are easier to talk about with people.

But I guess that doesn't matter because you're still doing it. So am I, for that matter. So there must be SOMETHING the makes you keep going. You must be getting SOMETHING out of it. So come on, let's hear it..

Why did you start writing? And more important, why in God's name are you still writing?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Writer
I started writing as an escape from reality (as I'm sure most have.) I started to make my own friends through words on a loose leaf of paper. People were never kind to me so I started making my 'friends' brutally murder antagonists with similar traits as the people who have done me wrong. Also, I was fourteen when my mother said "quit playing with your imagination, your too old for that." So with that and isolation I started forming my own little worlds, war, horror, insanity, love and various others. I never really had a theme in each story until this year, I always just gave details and a place for my characters to be and 'act'

So I write because; imagination has been my sweetest friend since I could walk and think straight. It is a strong passion and a fantastic way to escape everyone's crap and express my thoughts and feelings!
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I originally got into writing because of a crush I had in high school. What kept me writing after I got turned down was the inspiration I got from listening to Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band's "Trout Mask Replica." Captain Beefheart's surreal, offbeat lyricism was like something from another galaxy to me, and I wanted to write stuff in that surreal vein as well. The more I learned about classic literature and the more I listened to literate music like Talking Heads & Tom Waits, the more I became engrossed in experimenting with my writing.

I keep writing because it's a great way for me to paint the kind of pictures I wouldn't normally be able to literally paint/draw. As corny as this may sound, it's an extension of who I am as a person and I wouldn't give it up for the world.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I actually like the process of writing a story and reading it over many times to spot mistakes and consistency errors.

Yeah... I must've gone mad long ago...
:iconvon19:
von19 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Writer
Lol I like this ^
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You better do! :D
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Writer
That's a unique answer. I don't think you're mad.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nah. I'm just a bit obsessed when it comes to writing :D
:iconirononiji:
iroNoNiji Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I started because friends started, then stopped because my parents first reaction was 'what kind of shit are you writing' (they later said they hadn't even read it and were annoyed that I deleted it). I started again, because friends started, and continued to spite my parents. Then I started writing (again) because I was bored. I've had so many reasons, I couldn't keep count and I don't know why I write now.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Professional Artist
Because I can write in various forms while working on my novel(s). Blogging, volunteering/commissions for games and short stories, and the like.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Student Writer
I started to make a point I could. Continued because I learned I could make a point.
Add a Comment: