Closed to new replies
November 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

Inspiration

:iconslytherinsheiress:
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Writer
I'm feeling a wee bit nosy tonight and I'm wondering who do you consider to be your biggest literary influences?

Mine: Larry McMurtry, Dorothy Allison, Flannery O'Connor, Toni Morrison, Larry Watson, Cormac McCarthy, Katherine Webb, and Judy Blume.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlartovio:
Lartovio Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
I can't say I write like any famous author... I think my style is a bit underdeveloped right now as well. I'm working on my tenses and plot holes right now, never mind the style. :XD:
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Writer
the things that inspire my writing are not all literary. i had a list somewhere around here at one point but i eated it
:icondeadlyintrospect:
deadlyintrospect Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012   General Artist
Neil Gaiman, Hunter Thompson, and Anthony Burgess with a hint of Margaret Atwood. All over the map I guess.
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Writer
I love Margaret Atwood. :)
:icondeadlyintrospect:
deadlyintrospect Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   General Artist
they actually let us read the handmaid's tale in high school. it blew my miiiiiind. atwood is bawss
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hmm...my influential writers are:

Brian Jacques
Garth Nix
Tamora Pierce

and a hint of Lemony Snicket

My inspiration changes from time to time, but usually it's in the form of song or artwork, and when all else fails I look to various mythologies.
SlytherinsHeiress Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional Writer
Classical mythology can be a great source from which to mine a cool story idea or two. :)
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Especially the lesser-known mythologies.
Totally. :)
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
In essence, things that happen to me and somewhat make an impact on my life, or something that I learn of that has the same magnitude are the primary inspirations.

I sometimes let my imagination run how the plot flows.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
I tend to think of influence and inspiration as different things, but I suppose there is crossover between the two.

If I were to list the writers whose influence is probably most apparent in my fiction, it would be something like: Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters, Edgar Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury, Mervyn Peake, Philip K. Dick, Tanith Lee, Franz Kafka, Joyce Carol Oates, Bruno Schulz, China Mieville, Poppy Z. Brite, Kathe Koja, Truman Capote, William S. Burroughs, Georges Bataille. All for differing reasons. And I didn't include poets like Plath, Merwin, Rimbaud, and Eliot.

There are a lot of other writers who've had an impact on me, but I'm not sure how apparent they are in my work. Lewis Carroll is a big one, but my work is very different.
Oh man! I forgot about the Bronte sisters and Bradbury! :)

I've been meaning to get into Dickens. It looks like I'll have to follow :iconbeccalicious:'s lead and dig into A Christmas Carol in time for the holidays. :)
I was going to say I love Flannery O'Connor too, but I'm not sure how apparent her influence is on my work. Always nice to meet another fan.

A Christmas Carol is a good starting point, relatively short and too the point. Some people hate Dickens, though. My boyfriend and I still can't agree on the guy, and we like a lot of the same stuff.
Flannery O'Connor's 'Wise Blood' was the final push in turning me away from Christianity, as weird as it is to admit that. LOL! I think my favorite story of hers, however, is "Good Country People". The ending was just great and I especially loved the prose in this piece. :)
Hah, kinda ironic considering her inclinations toward Catholicism. ;)
Her short stories are all fantastic, among the best in mid-20th century American fiction IMO.

Have you read John Kennedy Toole?
No, but he's another one on my backlog of authors to read before I die. :)
Confederacy of Dunces is well worth the read. :thumbsup:
Cool! I'll definitely check that out. :)
Can't believe I forgot John Irving and Katherine Dunn (primarily Geek Love). Doh.
:iconbeccajs:
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012   Writer
Oh Dickens, its the time of year to read "A Christmas Carol" again- I have to read it every December (takes about a day!) because I love it so much!
I loved the story as a kid, although it was more Great Expectations that I fell in love with. Tale of Two Cities is also a great book.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012   Digital Artist
I don't think I actually sound like anyone (I'm not being a tosser, I just can't thinking anyone who sounds like me. ;P) But a few people whose style I admire in an "I wish I could write like that" way are J K Rowling, William Gibson, Bruce Springsteen, Jarvis Cocker.
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
I'll go to the library and purchase about eight books I've never heard of (or Shakespeare, since it seems everyone hates him in my area) from the Friends of the Library rack, and those will be my books for the month.
I honestly do not remember all those authors names, but I can remember what the books are called.
Besides, inspiration changes. If I want to write a certain genre, I'll read up a few books of that same genre to get a feel for how it's usually written and then I'll write my own.
Like eight now my primary piece is centered around the late 1800s. If anything I'm reading up the classics to try and get the English dialects and appropriate slang down.
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
*right, not eight.../ipod
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmm... Suzanne Collins, Pittacus Lore, Gemma Malley and Michelle Paver have all influenced me in their own little ways.
I mainly get inspired by music though, and... well, usually just random stuff. Sometimes I'll watch a film and I'll like the way it does things, sometimes I'll see a concept and think, "That's so cool..." sometimes it's just whatever's around that I take an interest in. :meow:
:iconoflird:
oflird Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
all the fanfic writers i've ever read the works of lol XD jk idk Huston Smith,Mark Twain n E.A Poe
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Listing everything that has inspired me probably would take several hours. :lol:
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The Australian grunge poets.
George Orwell.
Philip K. Dick.
Dr Seuss.
Jean-Paul Sartre.
The King James Bible.
Friedrich Nietzsche.
I want to know about these Australian grunge poets. :) Do you have any recommendations?
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The poets that I know best are Eric Yoshiaki Dando and Molly Guy. Eric Yoshiaki Dando's The Moon in the Pinetree was like a Thin Bald Man is available at smashwords as an ebook. Molly Guy's Briefs should be available over the net. Their fiction is especially good also. Eric Yoshiaki Dando's Snail is almost impossible to get now. Molly Guy's fictional works can all be traced, though not without difficulty.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Writer
Stephen King, H.G Wells, Lemony Snicket, Joe Konrath, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman have all influenced me quite a lot.

Sometimes they have been stylistic influences, sometimes they have just motivated me more, usually it's both.
:iconcommandereve:
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
My own mind and the way I look at things as i have a unique style.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do you read?
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
Yes. But not enough by some peoples standards. I am very picky with books. I tend to read more information books then anything.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
How much is that? A book a year, a month, what?
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't read enough either :XD: I only ever read manga that I've been reccomended, little things on dA and books that I think are particularly unusal/interesting...
You should read more. It is good for your brain. Although, there has been cases that reading to much can make you fall into lazy ways of thinking, you know, the types that everything from a text book? My Mum calls them 'pen pushers'. xD
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess I probably should, though I tend to prefer to find my information other ways... it's not that I've got much against reading, I just usually don't have time.
:iconopiumrooster:
opiumrooster Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
i am inspired by myself, because i am original and awesome.
Yes.
Add a Comment: