Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

How can I improve at writing?

:iconallivegotarerainbows:
allivegotarerainbows Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
Ok, so I don't think I consider my self an amateur writer...But anyway, how can I improve at writing? For example tips and things like that. Also, how do I start an autobiography?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I find a good way is to simply keep writing. Over time, I read older stories and compare them to newer ones. It helps me learn if I'm improving. It generally helps me.
:iconsayva449:
Sayva449 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Writer
Besides taking classes over creative writing my top tips are: read, write, and accept critique.
As I have written over the years I have watched each story get progressivley better. Much like visual art as you write your work on your techniques and really get to know yourself.
Reading is the number one thing I have heard writers in interviews answer as a key to writing. Read things that you would normally read, read things you wouldn't normally read, read books over writing, read fiction, read news papers. Reading increases your vocabulary and you will find yourself picking up on writing techniques from the authors. Most importantly make sure you don't passively read. Most people passively read when they sit down, taking in the overall plot but not the finer aspects. You may have taken those classes in highschool where you have to write in the margins of books or in a comp book. If you are like me you had no idea why. Well, it is to get you more engaged in the writing and pick up from the author's message.
Finnally listen to people, even people you are pretty sure are wrong. You don't have to use their advice, but by paying attention and considering their input will give you insight into yourself. You can still decide how much stock you put into people's opinions. Different views on things can only help you.

I don't have personal experience with autobiography apart from a few essays, but I would say a safe bet for me is breaking out the old comp book and pen and just writing. No editing, no stopping to look it over, just write. Helps me to start any project.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional
Fact of the matter is, no one wants to read autobiographies except about celebrities and other public trainwrecks--so I wouldn't be entertaining the thought of one if I were you.

If you want to be a better writer, write. Just do so carefully weighing everything you're writing.
allivegotarerainbows Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm not putting the autobiography on here, it's for this portfolio I have to make.
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional
How long does it have to be?
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
lel
allivegotarerainbows Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
Approx. 500 words.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Oh, I thought you were writing a book. :lol: In that case, since it's so short, just keep if very focussed on key events and don't try to put too much in. And start with an interesting event instead of "I was born on blah blah".
:iconyourdoom243:
yourdoom243 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Writer
Be your own editor. Extreme difficulty and extreme payoff.
:iconclaycowboys:
ClayCowboys Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Writer
I'm going to sound like a parrot here, but the best way to improve at your writing is to write more and read like a fiend. Know your genre. If you're writing about Edwardian England, read every book you can get your hands on pertaining to Edwardian England. Read novels and, also, make sure you do your research before you sit down and write. Of course you may have moments while writing where you realized you didn't look into something close enough and need to do a little bit of research, but that's normal. Also, read things that have nothing to do with what you're writing about. Read the classics. Find out why they're still in print and selling. Read quality literature and read trash. Get some life experience! That also helps. :)

And when you do finish something, give it to people to read. Not your parents, though. They're going to love what you write no matter what it is. Find some people who can give you constructive critiques (you'll know the difference between constructive and destructive). Have you considered joining a writer's group?

I'd suggest reading Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird". It's quite inspirational. :)
Add a Comment: