Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 124

Characters.

:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Basically, how do you feel about your chars?

I have quite a few characters, and for me this ranges from 'I absolutely love this one' to 'I hate this guy why is he here'. Some characters I've had for years and have grown quite attached to. I feel like I know everything about them, etc. Some characters I've had for a few weeks and don't really care about them.

What's your opinion? Do you think it's better to be attached to your characters and know them better, or keep more distant? Which do you feel gives you more freedom to write what you want with them? Why?

Just curious~

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondomnuwyrda:
DomnuWyrda Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
My characters have grown along with me, and as my writing voice has evolved, so have they. I'm terribly fond of them, seeing as I've had them for about 7 or so years. Still, while I'm not one to go mass-genocide on characters, I'm not afraid to pop one off if the situation calls for it.

"Everyone and everything has a time to die." - Terciel, Abhorsen preceding Sabriel, Garth Nix's Sabriel
:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional
Someti--

:icondickkickplz:

--eese.
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Writer
I think basically knowing a character that I am creating is a good idea.

I don't like the idea of fully knowing a character that I am developing, as it doesn't help me make the character(s) develop as the story or series develops.

However, a basic knowledge of them is good, as it gives me a basis on what to expect out of them.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think knowing the character too well is one of the downs of taking a really long time in planning. Then you have to force yourself to have them be ragged and rough around the edges at the beginning when you start writing, even though in your mind you've smoothed out all the problems already.
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Writer
Precisely. So, whenI think up a character at first, I only do it on purpose to know the absolute minimum about them. Check out my latest story, for example. There is a bit of info on a new character. As my stories will move on, that new character has potential to develop.
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
As long as you can recognize their usefulness and how to utilize them it shouldn't matter if you are or aren't that attached I don't think. As long as you don't go George Lucas style and get super attached to some Jar Jar Binks son of a _.
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Hey now, Jar Jar was the best part of Episode 1...
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
He really added an element of depth unseen in previous Star Wars films
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Other than Liam Neeson, he made the movie bearable.
:iconlartovio:
Lartovio Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
I love all my characters, even the misunderstood ones.

:lol: Not really. Some of them I hate, some of them I love, some of them are just there, and I don't care either way about them. They all feel like real people to me, though. You might be scared if you knew how much I meant that.
Add a Comment: