Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Trying to find detailed medical explanation of suicide jumper injuries upon ground impact

:icongalapogosian:
galapogosian Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
It's just for writing. I want to get the authentic facts on these injuries- can't seem to find it on Google. Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why do you need this information? Are you writing a forensics or medical whatever?
galapogosian Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Horror fantasy writing project.
So what do you need with this information?
And what's going to be done with it?
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I grew up reading medical textbooks instead of picture books; what kind of injuries are you looking for? It all depends on the distance of the fall, what surface your jumper landed on and where on his body hit the ground first.
Basically, I'm writing a horror story where someone falls a great distance. Impact on packed dirt. Assume terminal velocity. I'm going to put in a very detailed explanation of the state of the body over several pages. I'm thinking multiple compound fractures, broken teeth scattered, eye popped from socket but still bound by optic nerve, tongue bitten off, possible abdominal rupture, loss of bowel contents. I'm just wanting to make sure there's nothing that would happen that I haven't already thought of.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
The thing I came to think of would be how the body is falling through the air. If I would be falling to my death I know I would try to dive with my head first, since that would crush my skull in an instant and fuck up the neck and spine, making sure I would not survive, and also make a pretty neat swan dive. But that might just be me :lol:

And out of curiosity, how come the tongue would be bitten off? I couldn't figure that out, unless it was done during the fall?
Jaw slams shut on impact with tongue betwixt teeth.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Yes, but if you fall face first, the impact would crush your teeth but not shut them together, would they?
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmmm... that sounds pretty accurate to me, though if you want to add a little fancy science stuff in, I'd also mention the blunt trauma of impact causing damage to the ribcage causing multiple 'flailing' injuries - where the same rib is broken in two places, which causes a little floating section without support which applies pressure to the lungs/heart - which can kill in minutes, and I would assume there would be a lot of damage done to the spine and spinal cord.
Add a Comment: