Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Trying to find detailed medical explanation of suicide jumper injuries upon ground impact

:icongalapogosian:
galapogosian Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
It's just for writing. I want to get the authentic facts on these injuries- can't seem to find it on Google. Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why do you need this information? Are you writing a forensics or medical whatever?
galapogosian Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Horror fantasy writing project.
So what do you need with this information?
And what's going to be done with it?
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I grew up reading medical textbooks instead of picture books; what kind of injuries are you looking for? It all depends on the distance of the fall, what surface your jumper landed on and where on his body hit the ground first.
Basically, I'm writing a horror story where someone falls a great distance. Impact on packed dirt. Assume terminal velocity. I'm going to put in a very detailed explanation of the state of the body over several pages. I'm thinking multiple compound fractures, broken teeth scattered, eye popped from socket but still bound by optic nerve, tongue bitten off, possible abdominal rupture, loss of bowel contents. I'm just wanting to make sure there's nothing that would happen that I haven't already thought of.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
The thing I came to think of would be how the body is falling through the air. If I would be falling to my death I know I would try to dive with my head first, since that would crush my skull in an instant and fuck up the neck and spine, making sure I would not survive, and also make a pretty neat swan dive. But that might just be me :lol:

And out of curiosity, how come the tongue would be bitten off? I couldn't figure that out, unless it was done during the fall?
Jaw slams shut on impact with tongue betwixt teeth.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Yes, but if you fall face first, the impact would crush your teeth but not shut them together, would they?
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmmm... that sounds pretty accurate to me, though if you want to add a little fancy science stuff in, I'd also mention the blunt trauma of impact causing damage to the ribcage causing multiple 'flailing' injuries - where the same rib is broken in two places, which causes a little floating section without support which applies pressure to the lungs/heart - which can kill in minutes, and I would assume there would be a lot of damage done to the spine and spinal cord.
OK I'll roll with it. It's a fantasy piece, so the poor guy's going to live through it.

Thanks.
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I see :) Poor thing! Give him a pat for me. Somewhere where it'll hurt less. :XD:

You're welcome.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I suggest looking at the Mythbusters site. They have explored falling bodies over and over, including the difference between landing in water, on concrete, and even n dumpsters. They've explored altitude, wind, and other factors, albeit in several different shows. Heck they devoted one only to how long you can dangle from a ledge by your fingertips BEFORE you fall! And they usually give numbers and sometimes have medical pros tell what damage that would equal...
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Writer
This might be one of those times where you need to turn safe-search off, although obviously you might not want to do this if you don't like seeing bad things.

Also bear in mind the equation for a falling object, where the impact velocity in metres per second is the square root of (20 x the distance fallen in metres). So with an object falling from 100 feet (30 metres), you'd take 30 metres and multiply that by 20 to make 600, and take the square root of that to find the impact speed: 24.49 m/s, which is around 55 miles per hour. [link]

The terminal velocity of a falling human is between 120 and 200 miles per hour, depending on what position they adopt in flight, which is achieved after falling as little as 150 metres. [link]
:iconchimeradragonfang:
ChimeraDragonfang Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Agreed with ~shannor. Don't limit your research to just suicides; look into all kinds of high falls. The damage incurred from an accidental fall from, say, a tenth-storey apartment balcony would be much the same as those of an intentional leap.
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You might try looking at data on other high fall incidents too - bungee jumping and base jumping are basically attempting to commit suicide and usually failing, from a certain point of view ;)
:iconsamuelearl666:
SamuelEarl666 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist
I don't know much but it really depends on where the person jumped from and how they landed but i can safely say most of their bones would get broken.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Writer
Well, you could try refining your search for medical reports of said incidents. You could also try watching some medical documentaries or shows and a similar story could come up. Besides that, you could try and expect what injuries would occur and then research those for details.

Hope this helps,
Tristan Cody.
Add a Comment: