Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 64

I Need Help Coming Up With A Plot Line. . . . .

:iconsaraalaska:
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yesterday checking out my Autumn surroundings I came up with a idea for a four-way book deal. Four books each based on the four seasons. First one would be SPRING, then SUMMER, AUTUMN, and WINTER. I was going to have it that the seasons are four magical beings who are amazinly beautiful and unsual and only one being can see them. Other than that I don't know what the plot would be and major problem you know? You can't just write a book that some chick can see beautiful season people and not having a issue, maybe one goes missing and the world is thrown off balance? I don't know. The main character would be the person who can see them, and might jump through P.O.V's of the person of that season, maybe. Spring is female, Summer is Male, Autumn is a female and Winter is Male, the gender of the main character is still unknown, maybe troll. jk XD probably going to be female.

Any ideas? I need help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconterrytatcher:
TerryTatcher Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Filmographer
The idea using seasons as plot devices has been done time and time again. If you don't get any good ideas here, try looking up books and myths on seasons and such. Personally, my friend and I created our pantheon of gods for our short stories based off the four seasons. Take a look at what each season represents. summer is often viewed as a time of strength, autumn is reaping the harvest, the fall of good times, winter is the harshest of times, also representing death, and spring is rebirth, renewal, and hope. You can do literal things like the balance of nature is thrown off because blankity blank blank (one goes missing, one dies, one is taken over by the other, i.e. winter takes spring hostage, causing more and more death), or you can go with a more figurative meaning (perhaps your main character meets a different character in each book that represents what the season typically do and in the last book, she dies or something).
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That sounds really cool and I will do research :) I'm kind of mixing in some Greek myths in there too since the main character happened to be Helen and in between the love of Summer and Winter like Helen was in the myths. lol Thank you so much! :)
:iconira-g:
Ira-G Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
This idea is basically an enormous chunk of ancient Greek mythology.
Ultimately the idea is unoriginal, in the sense that personification of the seasons has been a cultural cliche for roughly two thousand years.

This doesn't mean that your idea can't work though, some genuine criticism if I may.
If you were going to do so, don't make romance the focal point of your story, romance is an element best applied subtly, let your audience discover these affairs as though they were only witnessing this from the perspective of the main character or whoever seems to unraveling the story.
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love Greek Mythology ^-^ Thank you for the comment :) I'm going to do some research in myths and see what I can come up with so its just focused on the Helen (Main character) Summer, Winter thing. Thank you :)
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Writer
Helen is a good name too. Since you have the Greek connection, there was a woman named Helen in Greek myths, and she was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. The whole Trojan war was fought over her because two different kings were in love with her.
Mother of God *takes sunglasses off* I need to look more in to that story, I knew she was from Greek Mythology and all but I had forgotten what happened. Two different kings were in love with Greek Helen.
Two seasons are in love with modern Helen.
Thank you!!!!!!!!! :D
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Writer
No problem. There's a lot of neat stuff you can discover if you do some research. :)
:iconira-g:
Ira-G Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I hope it helps.
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd suggest you look a bit into symbolism, mythology, nature-based religions and legends. Might help you to develop your personified seasons.

A girl is seeing them. Makes sense. Because the problem could be how we humans are treating our planet, that we have lost our roots and are disconnected from nature. Also that people don't believe in nature spirits anymore and are so busy with making money that they forget their imagination and dreams.
Thank you :) I'm going to check some Greek Mythology's and some Native American stories if I can find any. Thank you so much :)
Add a Comment: