Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 64

I Need Help Coming Up With A Plot Line. . . . .

:iconsaraalaska:
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yesterday checking out my Autumn surroundings I came up with a idea for a four-way book deal. Four books each based on the four seasons. First one would be SPRING, then SUMMER, AUTUMN, and WINTER. I was going to have it that the seasons are four magical beings who are amazinly beautiful and unsual and only one being can see them. Other than that I don't know what the plot would be and major problem you know? You can't just write a book that some chick can see beautiful season people and not having a issue, maybe one goes missing and the world is thrown off balance? I don't know. The main character would be the person who can see them, and might jump through P.O.V's of the person of that season, maybe. Spring is female, Summer is Male, Autumn is a female and Winter is Male, the gender of the main character is still unknown, maybe troll. jk XD probably going to be female.

Any ideas? I need help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconterrytatcher:
TerryTatcher Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Filmographer
The idea using seasons as plot devices has been done time and time again. If you don't get any good ideas here, try looking up books and myths on seasons and such. Personally, my friend and I created our pantheon of gods for our short stories based off the four seasons. Take a look at what each season represents. summer is often viewed as a time of strength, autumn is reaping the harvest, the fall of good times, winter is the harshest of times, also representing death, and spring is rebirth, renewal, and hope. You can do literal things like the balance of nature is thrown off because blankity blank blank (one goes missing, one dies, one is taken over by the other, i.e. winter takes spring hostage, causing more and more death), or you can go with a more figurative meaning (perhaps your main character meets a different character in each book that represents what the season typically do and in the last book, she dies or something).
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That sounds really cool and I will do research :) I'm kind of mixing in some Greek myths in there too since the main character happened to be Helen and in between the love of Summer and Winter like Helen was in the myths. lol Thank you so much! :)
:iconira-g:
Ira-G Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This idea is basically an enormous chunk of ancient Greek mythology.
Ultimately the idea is unoriginal, in the sense that personification of the seasons has been a cultural cliche for roughly two thousand years.

This doesn't mean that your idea can't work though, some genuine criticism if I may.
If you were going to do so, don't make romance the focal point of your story, romance is an element best applied subtly, let your audience discover these affairs as though they were only witnessing this from the perspective of the main character or whoever seems to unraveling the story.
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love Greek Mythology ^-^ Thank you for the comment :) I'm going to do some research in myths and see what I can come up with so its just focused on the Helen (Main character) Summer, Winter thing. Thank you :)
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Writer
Helen is a good name too. Since you have the Greek connection, there was a woman named Helen in Greek myths, and she was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. The whole Trojan war was fought over her because two different kings were in love with her.
Mother of God *takes sunglasses off* I need to look more in to that story, I knew she was from Greek Mythology and all but I had forgotten what happened. Two different kings were in love with Greek Helen.
Two seasons are in love with modern Helen.
Thank you!!!!!!!!! :D
No problem. There's a lot of neat stuff you can discover if you do some research. :)
:iconira-g:
Ira-G Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I hope it helps.
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd suggest you look a bit into symbolism, mythology, nature-based religions and legends. Might help you to develop your personified seasons.

A girl is seeing them. Makes sense. Because the problem could be how we humans are treating our planet, that we have lost our roots and are disconnected from nature. Also that people don't believe in nature spirits anymore and are so busy with making money that they forget their imagination and dreams.
Thank you :) I'm going to check some Greek Mythology's and some Native American stories if I can find any. Thank you so much :)
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No problem.
:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Writer
Get a notebook and start making notes. This is your idea and your story, let the ideas develop and grow- you can't have four full novels created and written overnight it takes time.
I will. And I've decided to just make it a novel/novella thanks :)
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist
I think =vglory has a very good point. If you're stuck for ideas, try finding some prompts and writing for those. (There are several groups that post them). Maybe one of them will inspire a larger project. If anything else, it will stretch your creativity muscles some.
Thank you! :)
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You can't ask someone to come up with a plot line for you, because halfway through it, you'll get bored. If you want to completely finish a story, it should be about something you feel passionate about.
Take your time, rest, relax, jot down your dreams: who knows, sometimes the tiniest of things in life can give you that spark of inspiration needed to get a story started.
Thank you, and I know little things come. Flip I've came up with a whole book idea for one of my series starring at frozen food in Kroger O_o Strange thing to say how I got inspired for something but yeah XD Thank you :)
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
If you hope to have the motivation to write four books I think the plots have to be something you came up with and are enthusiastic about.
I will only be doing one now, but you are completely right. Thank you. :)
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Writer
why don't you just simply think more about what this is all about instead of immediately leaping to the internet for help? this is your project, you deal with it. that's what the rest of us do, you can do the same.
Okay, and thank you. I am and will, the only reason I got on here was because I easily forget things to think about considering I have like 7+ other books and series I'm working on and came up with my own. :/ Thank you though :)
:iconforeverxoxme:
foreverXoXme Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist
Take away Spring. Spring is rebirth and is the balance between the harsh winter and destructive summer.
That would be a good idea, but Autumn also stands between them and holds balance too. And sense its Autumn now, I have the feeling I'll end up basing the book in Autumn and she'd get kidnap (it would be easier for me to describe the time and make sense for Summer to kidnap her so he can take over again). Meaning Spring would be the best friend for the main character helping her along the way, standing between Winter and Summer. I could have it that Spring ends up coming up with the solution which would bring balance, Winter would have to give up his powers and pass it down to someone else which would be like rebirth. Summer could be placed under strict rule and after a little bit of time ends up with Spring. . . . Maybe?
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why?
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Writer
You came up with this yesterday, and you already need help? If you've really exhausted all your ideas overnight, I don't think you've got the material for one book, let alone four.

:p Okay, I'm just being snarky. I think it's far more likely that you do have ideas, but haven't given yourself time to think through them. Posting here really won't do you any good if that's the case. If you have a specific problem with a specific plot, people might be able to offer a fresh perspective. If you just want someone to toss you a "paint by numbers" plot to slot your characters into, however, it's not going to go well. Decide what you want your book to say, and then come up with a plot that says it.
witwitch Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Writer
Just start thinking about your characters, their personalities and what they would do. If you have a central theme in mind, consider their action in regards to your central theme.
The characters that are seasons are going to be like their season. Spring would be the sunshine, the happy one. Autumn is wise and reasonable. Summer is hot tempered, and Winter is cold and guarded but yet bare. If that makes since lol
Alright, but you should come up with more features for their personalities that just a few words for each one. Picture them as if they were real people. Then, imagine them at a specific place, and what would happen considering their personalities.
I will :) Thank you.
:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
honestly sounds like a freaking AMAZING idea. really original and all with the seasons, and i like the idea of them bein amazingly beautiful.

what if the main character is a girl, and summer and winter are like both in love with her and that ends up fucking with the weather for the whole earth?
I just died laughing reading that comment I don't know why I think it was because of the cuss I was soooo not expecting that lmao XD Good idea though I like it :)
:iconsamuelearl666:
SamuelEarl666 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist
^this. You could also have Spring and Autumn fighting for some reason since they are also pretty much the opposite of one-another.
good idea.

and then like summer and winter are fighting over dating her and she has to choose, and whoever she chooses it will be summer or winter forever. so she has to pick not only who she loves but like also think about does she want to make it always summer or always winter for the whole earth?

because the other guy would be so sad he suicides or something.
Yes I like that idea, and maybe they have their own kind of magical realms to live in? I don't know. Anyways she like chooses one and the one she doesn't choose I don't think should do suicied maybe get extremley mad and kidnap Spring or Autumn and they have to get her back, and the guy she had chosen has to give up his spot as a season and become mortal, pass the power on to someone else in order for her and him to be together? Maybe......
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
magical realms is a good idea.

and that is a really good idea about the guy she has chosen becoming mortal. it will be like he loves her so much he will give up all this magic to be with her. that's so original because in all the other stories the girl gets magic to be with him, but thats easy because everyone wants powers, but its different if you have to give up powers to be with love.
Okay Thank you :)

The main character's name is going to be Helen, I don't know what I want her to look like but if this was a movie and the casting was Dean Geyer for Summer, Alex Pettyfer as Winter, Emma Watson as Spring, Naomi Scott as Autumn, who would you like to see be Helen? Jennifer Lawernce or Lily Collins? I'm stuck between the two. If Jennifer she'll be blonde, if Lily she'll have red hair. lol
What if she realizes that she couldn't have either of them and instead decides to pair the seasons up together?
That and I don't think Summer and Winter could get along with each other anyways.... Being complete opposits of two extremes.
Summer and Winter are both male.
:iconlovely-words:
Lovely-Words Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So?
I'm talking about something like Autumn with winter and Spring with Summer lol.
okay XD I think I have it figured out. Summer is going to end up with Spring later on, Winter will give up his power and pass it down to someone else that way he wont be immortal any more and can live with the main character, and Autumn will just keep being Autumn XD
(1 Reply)
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
And then it could be like Twilight, which is also named after the weather.
no, twilight had fake vampires in it and was not original. also twilight is not weather it is a time of day. seasons is much bigger, it's a better concept completely.
You are all knowing in originality with the original plot idea of two totally gorgeous guys fighting over one exceptional girl.
its not the romance that makes it original, its the seasons, no one has written a story like that yet
Yet the concept and plot is not. Like plugging numbers into an equation.
(1 Reply)
Yeah.

True, true, but there needs to be a turning point, a solution. Maybe they all buy a giant frezzar and lives in it? Just kidding about that, maybe Summer is heating the world up because something angers him, he's thirsty for power and trying to make his ruling time last longer and no one can hardly stop him because he just keeps getting more powerful (hotter XD)

Truthfuly I don't know what I wanna accomplish with the story it was just something that popped in to my mind like every other random thought I have. lol
Well, why is Summer so angry the world must suffer from it? Keep writing all these little thoughts down until something pops up that sticks on you.
I, personally, use note cards for this.
Why do they have to be "amazingly beautiful"?
Make them grow horns or something.

Plot line: Global Warming. Seasons be displeased. Done.
Add a Comment: