November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

What makes a good serial killer story from first person of the serial killer

:iconwzupkid:
wzupkid Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
i have a idea but i wanna hear you wont steal~

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Serial killers are often mentally imbalanced. From their perspective, what they are doing might seem perfectly justified to them. So if you do something like that from their perspective, they might constantly make justification for their actions, erratic dialogue, and things that might appear insane from our perspective. I've never written a serial killer before, but this is a small piece of what I might do.
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student
I like it when I can relate to them, and sympathize with them, but at the same time be completely appalled by them. They have to be believable, and they have to have some motive, even if it relies completely on their own messed up logic.
:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Writer
An understanding of how mental disorders and sociopathy actually manifest.

If you're going to write this kind of story, I would suggest doing a lot of research before you even begin writing. A particularly good author is Robert Ressler. The guy is basically responsible for modern criminal profiling and has a great insight into how sociopaths develop, think and perceive the world.

But there's mountains of books out there on criminal psychology, offender profiling, general behavioural science and psychopathology of all kinds. It's a fascinating topic and can only benefit your writing. Mind you, if you don't have the heart for reading it, you may want to reconsider. It is as frightening as it is fascinating.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Writer
Listen, this website has millions of different ideas on it. Why is anyone's idea so special that it is going to be stolen? Most everything has been done already, anyways.
wzupkid Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
no i wont steal the idea you give me lol
Your response makes no sense in regards to the post I made.
if you gave me a idea i mean i wont steal it
Why should I come up with ideas for you? Go come up with your own.
ok i get it
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You expect others to share their ideas but tell us nothing about yours? It is hard to tell how your story would work best when we don't know anything about your plot and character.

In any case I'd suggest that you read stories and novels in that genre. Anything about murderers. Make sure you know a few things about forensics and psychology, too. Not to copy, of course, but to see how other authors deal with certain issues and how things work. Then find out what works best for you.
no i wont steal the idea you give me lol typo
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't worry about you stealing my idea. I do not plan to write about a serial killer. This starts to get ... What, exactly, do you want from us?
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
How do you expect an exchange of ideas if all you can think about is stealing? Frankly, I'd think only a person who is contemplating leeching ideas would be so obsessed with it.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   Writer
The problem with your original post isn't a typo: it's a total lack of punctuation. If you at least separated things out into different sentences, it would make it much easier for people to understand what you're saying.

I gather that people don't tend to put much effort into forum posts as they do with actual literature, but it seems a little silly for a writer to drop punctuation altogether. You'll need to use it for your serial killer story, so you might as well get some practice in. :p
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Typo?

Here's the problem. It's us giving you ideas. There's no back and forth, which is about as interesting as yelling at a wall.
why are you mad over a stupid form i dont get it.
Form?
whatever your bi polar
Which type?
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Writer
NO ONE IS GOING TO STEAL FROM YOU GET OVER YOURSELF
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Writer
:iconfacepalmplz:
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I pretty Much don't want to read it from the POV of the killer unless he is to some extent a hero, like Dexter.
yeah it will! :D
:iconspookyink:
SpookyInk Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Traditional Artist
Dexter.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just... make sure you learn about people. Doesn't matter what kind of story you're writing. If you write a character that kills simply because he's 'muahaha evil' I'm gunna smack you upside the head.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you're doing it as the killer is alive, I'd suggest you tell it from the perspective of what he sees in his head.

Assuming this guy is crazy... you could call the screaming "singing," make tracking his/her victims seem like a game in his POV, antagonize the authority as austere and parental. Hallucinations, under-the breath whisperings, violent impulse thoughts to build tension. Stuff like that.

If not, then read "Watchmen" and see if you can take a leaf out of Rorschach's book. He could've been a serial killer.
:iconbonnieknox:
BonnieKnox Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am working an a story about an spree killer, a real case. I tried using the perspective of the killer himself, but it limits the story pretty much. Mine ends up executed, so unless I put him telling the story from the grave I can not get it work properly.

A good option is to divide the novel in parts and use the main character (the killer), as well as other characters around him or her to tell the story, relatives, old friends, psychiatrists. A man telling his own story works in movies, where you have flashbacks, is more visual. In a book, it can work, but you loose part of the character in it. It seems flat from my point of view.

Ugh... I do not know if I explained myself or nor. :)
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Why not have him tell the story in present tense? You know, as it happens. Then you won't have to worry about him telling it from the grave or something. :)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Won't steal what? Your idea? Don't worry. It's not valuable enough to steal.
wzupkid Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
no i wont steal yours lol!
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Pfft. My ideas aren't that valuable either.

In any story with a strong, immediate POV character, it's most effective when the reader can submerge himself in the POV's viewpoint. When this is successfully done with a deeply unsympathetic or evil character, it can be extraordinarily disturbing.

I'd do a lot of research into psychological profiles of real serial killers so as to understand how they think and be able to represent it in a way that's true to life.
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I'm going to guess that you mean you're going to write a story about a serial killer through the perspective of the serial killer.
I know if I were to read that kind of story, I'd be interested in the psychological aspect. Or rather, how the serial killer thinks. What makes him (or her!) want to kill others? What's his/her motivations to kill? Why do they think murder justifies their actions?
Stuff like that.
Add a Comment: