Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Should you up date your story if something comes true?

:icondrybonesreborn:
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Like say Hurricane Sandy and all it's coicendances that you had an idea a year ago? Or other sad tragedies? It's not often a Hurricane hits NYC.

Heck or say a volcano that erupts in Pittsburgh-something that would not happen. (Not that it has happen or will)

As a writer, it can be devastating if life does imitate art.

HOw would you live with such 'prophetic' events that you made up?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanonymous-yet-again:
anonymous-yet-again Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012   Writer
this isn't an answer to your question, because I don't know, but it could help: one of my favorite authors, Diana Wynne Jones, would joke that her books seem to come true, like one of her characters had a traveling curse and she would have problems traveling, and someone sent her a message about how their family had names like a family she wrote about. she wrote about it in various places on her website: [link]
so if that doesn't help, sorry; i mostly thought it was a cool connection.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Where? In the autobiograhphy?
:iconanonymous-yet-again:
anonymous-yet-again Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Writer
at the very end of the autobiography, yeah, but in various pages of the questions that people would send her, too (and that she answered). sorry for the late answer.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
Isn't that always the ideal situation in SF? To be so prescient that you can seem to predict certain technologies or events?

If I were in the situation of my work eerily matching a real event after writing, I probably wouldn't bother with retcon or anything. It would be a nifty coincidence, or say something about our ability to take what we know and speculate/project based on that. Science fiction is often just as wrong as it is right in its predictions. :shrug:
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really?

Thanks. :)

:dummy: A volcano in Pittsburgh. You never know.
If you talk to most science fiction fans or read enough criticism within the genre, you will see that predictive ability or accuracy of speculation is often a concern. Or at least something that is often discussed. I don't see it as the only function of science fiction and if it were that would render tons of good books obsolete. For instance, intelligent life on Mars is no longer remotely plausible, but The Martin Chronicles or Martian Time-Slip are still good books. I think we're even well past the time frame they're set.
Is it a personal choice if it's something that's more plausible, than not plausible.
Well, plausibility of a concept is determined by what is known at the time. How far a writer wants to push that depends on the writer and the story. A lot of science fiction pushes those boundaries of plausibility (and possibility!) all the time.
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I understand that it can be scary.

As I am not writing SF, it hasn't happened to me yet. I encountered other odd coincidences instead. I make something up, soon after there is a movie or documentation about exactly that topic/detail/type of character.

Anyway, I wouldn't change much of the story. Maybe work out the differences between the story and reality a bit more, but that's all.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks.
Why? I did nothing but share my thoughts.
Well, I'm grateful to hear what you think about this issue. :)
You are welcome. Definitely. It is always good to see what other people think.
:highfive:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This doesn't mean that you have to agree to everything, of course.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Exactly. :) It's good to hear many varying views, some that I might have heard before, or another angle.
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It could just be chance? After all, all those events have to happen SOMETIME in the future..
:iconbornwiththesun:
BornWithTheSun Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
People are bound to interpret fiction as predictions sometimes. They'll find ways to take impossible, vague prophecies like fortune cookies and such and point to instances where they "came true". The Mayans made a calender, and now people point to it saying it's predicting the end of the world.

I'd say if something reflected your story while you were in the middle of writing it, and you wanted to present it publicly, wait a couple of years and then show it to people. There are too many disasters in this world for people to remember them all.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, I guess so. I had thought that diasator 'x' was impossible, so hence I wrote about it.

So far, a volcano in PA, has yet to happen.
Which disaster did you write about? It would be unsettling if it actually happened, even if you knew you weren't prophetic.

Yes, I believe that would have to be one incredibly dormant volcano.
-_- Sandy.

Only, it wasn't a huricane persay.

Haven't seen a volcano one.
Ah, so like NYC getting flooded or losing power and such?

Yeah, I haven't either. I guess it's pretty hard to overlook a volcano.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Wow, even nature is stealing people's ideas now. Originality is dead.
lol
:iconthe-cottler:
The-Cottler Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Did you ever see the 1997 Starship Troopers film directed by Paul Verhoeven? It was a movie where space soldiers were fighting big space bugs for no adequately explained reason. Then the bugs launch a big rock at the Earth and kill a bunch of people in a surprise attack, which the Earth's government uses as an excuse to launch a morally questionable and incompetently lead invasion into the bugs' planet. That was in the 90's, and since then a LOT of people have pointed out that the film was basically space 9/11 with bugs instead of crazy people. Cracked did a whole article about it: [link]

Anyway, my point is that this happens a lot. When you're trying to write big epic stories with big epic disasters like super storms and city-wide explosions you're going to end up writing a thing or two before they happen. Really it's up to you or whoever in involved with the story to decide what's tasteful or not. If the story you've told is well crafted, then people might be even more interested after the fact. If you're not so confident in it, some revision may be in order. Otherwise I'd try not to put too much thought into it.

You know, unless this sort of thing happens EVERY DAY to you. If that's the case you should probably start solving mysteries or something. Use your powers for good, and all that.
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Mostly, if it's purely coincidental, state in a disclaimer that it is a coincidence about what the reader is about to read.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah. I mean like Katrina or Sandy? I mean.. somethings are hard to predict.
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Just put a disclaimer in, stating it is merely coincidental.
When I get it published, I should do that? Most stories say: the names, characters, places, events etc are merely coincidental.

You know someone with Peter Parker exist, and he might hate Spider-Man or get teased.

Good point. You can't predict everything? lol
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Yes. I applaud you for having looked at examples of how it was done, so you can judge the proper method for your disclaimer.

Exactly. Nowadays, some family with the last name "Parker" might name their son "Peter" for the sake of it. However, like you say, it might earn the poor guy some teasing in school, due to having the same identity as Spider-Man. In your disclaimer, make it clear you have no disrespect towards what transpired to the people in real life, and that it is merely coincidental. This can help clear any misunderstandings.

Thank you. Yeah, it's not possible to predict everything. However, it may be possible to see what events will happen in the near future. Some people claim it to be true, while some people wish to disprove it.
I'll have to look at how other books have their disclaimers, and if it's my job to write it, or the printing company. They do the whole inside cover info stuff usually.

True. Well, the odd thing was October was the nearing end of hurriacne season.

There was this song I would dance to about a hurricane from 2010 on wards by Cascada. I mean to have that happen in NY after you writing about a Hurricane 'past' hurricane season that way you know? It's very odd.

I would have named it Shelly. It would be even more fitting for Frankenstorm.

Well... hmm Stephen King wrote "Storm of the Century" that was around OUR big storm in 1993 or so. I guess it can be well... coincidental, right?
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012   Writer
i've never made up a prophetic event but really? even if someone was able to prophetize Sandy or whatever, who cares. write the thing.
Yeah..
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You mean like Hollywood went on a WTC removal streak in movies after 9/11?

It's silly. Fiction is fiction, reality is reality.
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
That's how Syfy used to make all their cheesy midnight monster movies. Like a couple years ago when we heard about weird fish from Asia showing up back east, Syfy made "Frankenfish" to cash in and say that their story was "ripped from the headlines". That's also what pretty much every cop show on TV has ever done. It's a little different since it's ex post facto and you're talking more about, say, the Titanic passengers watching "The Poseidon Adventure" as the ship sank. But it's a similar concept, I suppose...
Well, it's one thing to be taken from a headline, it's another to make it. I mean the horrible 9/11 event. In the tv show "The Lone Gunman" about some dweebs that try to stop conspiracies, the sad thing is 9/11 'did' happen, only in the show they could stop it. I think it was like a year before it happened or something.

So that's life, life can imitate art.
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I see what you mean. That's no bueno for any artist...
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm very confused by your last question. If you're making stuff up, it's not 'prophetic,' just coincidental. Also, I don't see what there is to live with :confused:
Well like Sandy. I mean it's not every day a Hurricane comes to NYC. I mean, as to live with, for fiction, noone wants to get paid from someone's tradegy. You know? It's one thing to have a criminal tell how they killed their girlfriend, it's another to have a plot of something come true.

"An Earthquake causes the state of liberty to plummet on 60 tourists as little Andy could watch in horror." Something like that 'actually' happen after you hate written the chapter 8 months earlier or say before you went to publish it.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
How does that make you responsible for it or profiting off something you didn't even know about? Obviously it could throw a wrench in your publishing plans, but last I checked writers aren't omnipotent.

Also, gonna point out that the author may be the only one to see the connection. A terrorist attack in Manhattan wouldn't automatically make me think 9/11; it is an unfortunately logical setting for those kinds of things due to its importance. There is such a thing as legitimate speculation. I don't think the people writing black presidents for years now have felt vindicated since 2008.
I don't know. Maybe I feel a bit sad about those say in Katrina, or what not.

Then I wonder... there is a movie about a family trapped by the 2004 Tsunami..

Good point.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What does being sad have to do with your book, though?

Okay, that's very different. When a person consciously chooses a real tragedy, they've got the sensitivity to consider regardless of what they do. If you write something and three months later, something like it happens, your treatment wasn't written with that consideration.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well if a hurricane comes to NYC an causes damage, and mine has that then what?

Do I write a disclaimer or does the editor about 'people, places etc' all fictional and coincidental?
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
First of all, is your book finished? And I assume whoever publishes the book puts that disclaimer in.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My books done. I just need to edit it.
(1 Reply)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   Digital Artist
Haha, this is going to sound kind of silly, but you see, I wrote a story about a dead pop star last year. (I specifically made her a female pop singer because historically most of the famous 'died young' musicians were male rock stars and I didn't want the character to seem like anyone in real life). Then about 6 months later, Amy Winehouse died and the story got a daily deviation. Obviously I was massively stoked about the DD, but also I felt a little weird like I was pre-emptively cashing in on her death... ><

Anyway, f I was halfway through writing a story, and some sort of natural disaster or tragedy happened that was similar to something in the story, then I would alter it if the story would come out sounding insensitive or if it was drawing unwanted parallels, otherwise I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Oh snap! Really? Do you have the link so I could see.

I hope you are handling it well. :hug:

With Sandy, I mean, people can write about a hurricane in Alaska. So if it does happen, and you wrote it and then write away it happens, you do wonder if you have some prophetic gift, or good at predicting where devastation will strike next.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012   Digital Artist
:lol: Lol, no it's fine. I don't think it's prophetic or feel bad or anything, it was just a weird coincidence at the time.

Ehhhh, it's such an old story and the writing is pretty clumsy, but here is. [link] >_>
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I once had a vivid dream of D.C. being bombed, which frightened me nearly to death because that's where I live.
I sincerely hope that doesn't come true, and it frightens me more to know that it's quite likely. More likely than, say, a volcano eruption in Pittsburgh.
Add a Comment: