Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Why are Daily Deviations skewed towards free verse poetry?

:iconthedorsai:
TheDorsai Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I cannot remember the last time I saw a sonnet, a ballad, a limerick, hell even a metered poem featured as a Daily Deviation. And while I understand that Daily Deviations are chosen for the skill the artist (or writer or poet!) displays, as well as the emotional or evocative effect, humor is an emotion too. When's the last time you saw a light-hearted poem get a Daily Deviation?

I don't dispute the quality of Daily Deviations to date. Merely their diversity.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhodhandr:
Hodhandr Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Honestly I'm not sure what those are, but poetry in itself is difficult, free verse is the easiest type/style, speaking from personal experience.

Reason 1: There are more free verse poetry than other types/styles, therefore it has higher chances of getting picked.
Reason 2: Any limitations(like "rules" for how it's written) in poetry makes it increasingly more difficult to write at all, so writing good...?
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I thought the exact same thing, too!
What's wrong with a good old limerick? I love them!
:iconabcat:
AbCat Nov 22, 2012   Writer
Do you have any works in mind that you think should have been featured?
:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Nov 21, 2012  Professional Writer
DDs are just a feature, a feature that the community can help control by sending in suggestions. There are four lit CVs you can note with your suggestions (full details including individual suggestion guidelines can be found here: [link]).

Fixed form is difficult because the piece not only has to have interesting content, and good strong writing but also needs to fit into the rules of that form effectively and that the form doesn't dominate the readability. Often you can find with fixed form poems that a lot of pieces feel forced by the format because the writer is focused on that over the content. Getting the right balance is usually where the DD worthy pieces are- but its all about finding them. I believe there are pieces out there, but we need help from you guys to help us find them :)
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
Just to echo what's already been said, it's probably due to several factors. 1) The kind of work that tends to get posted; 2) the kind of work that tends to get suggested for DDs; and 3) the work among that pile the gallery directors think is worth featuring. If you want it to change, then you're going to have to suggest poetry or engage in some kind of effort to draw attention to formal poetry on dA. You'd hardly be the first person to make this effort.

I would also not disregard the fact that formal poetry is simply not the current dominant mode in Western literature.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Nov 20, 2012  Professional Writer
What drove me crazy, for the two and a half years I posted DD's, was the fact that the people who bitched longest and loudest about what I featured were people who NEVER recommended anything to me. If you want to see different DD's, get off your ass, find some work you like, and RECOMMEND them.
Beccalicious Nov 21, 2012  Professional Writer
Yes! I have had one DD suggestion in the last 5 days and it wasn't a fixed form poem :)
:icondanieldgriffiths:
This is a surprise to me - I assumed that, with the sheer number of people on dA, you must all be inundated with dozens of suggestions every day!
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not even close :B
Beccalicious Nov 22, 2012  Professional Writer
I wish!
Add a Comment: