Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Why are Daily Deviations skewed towards free verse poetry?

:iconthedorsai:
TheDorsai Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I cannot remember the last time I saw a sonnet, a ballad, a limerick, hell even a metered poem featured as a Daily Deviation. And while I understand that Daily Deviations are chosen for the skill the artist (or writer or poet!) displays, as well as the emotional or evocative effect, humor is an emotion too. When's the last time you saw a light-hearted poem get a Daily Deviation?

I don't dispute the quality of Daily Deviations to date. Merely their diversity.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhodhandr:
Hodhandr Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Honestly I'm not sure what those are, but poetry in itself is difficult, free verse is the easiest type/style, speaking from personal experience.

Reason 1: There are more free verse poetry than other types/styles, therefore it has higher chances of getting picked.
Reason 2: Any limitations(like "rules" for how it's written) in poetry makes it increasingly more difficult to write at all, so writing good...?
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I thought the exact same thing, too!
What's wrong with a good old limerick? I love them!
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012   Writer
Do you have any works in mind that you think should have been featured?
:iconbeccajs:
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   Writer
DDs are just a feature, a feature that the community can help control by sending in suggestions. There are four lit CVs you can note with your suggestions (full details including individual suggestion guidelines can be found here: [link]).

Fixed form is difficult because the piece not only has to have interesting content, and good strong writing but also needs to fit into the rules of that form effectively and that the form doesn't dominate the readability. Often you can find with fixed form poems that a lot of pieces feel forced by the format because the writer is focused on that over the content. Getting the right balance is usually where the DD worthy pieces are- but its all about finding them. I believe there are pieces out there, but we need help from you guys to help us find them :)
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
Just to echo what's already been said, it's probably due to several factors. 1) The kind of work that tends to get posted; 2) the kind of work that tends to get suggested for DDs; and 3) the work among that pile the gallery directors think is worth featuring. If you want it to change, then you're going to have to suggest poetry or engage in some kind of effort to draw attention to formal poetry on dA. You'd hardly be the first person to make this effort.

I would also not disregard the fact that formal poetry is simply not the current dominant mode in Western literature.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Writer
What drove me crazy, for the two and a half years I posted DD's, was the fact that the people who bitched longest and loudest about what I featured were people who NEVER recommended anything to me. If you want to see different DD's, get off your ass, find some work you like, and RECOMMEND them.
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   Writer
Yes! I have had one DD suggestion in the last 5 days and it wasn't a fixed form poem :)
:icondanieldgriffiths:
DanielDGriffiths Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   Writer
This is a surprise to me - I assumed that, with the sheer number of people on dA, you must all be inundated with dozens of suggestions every day!
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not even close :B
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012   Writer
I wish!
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Writer
:iconclapplz:
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You rarely see any poems with exact rhyme schemes and meters here. By exact I mean something like ABBA ABBA CDCD ABBA or what ever where the rhythm/meter/number of syllables is exactly the same for each "A", for each "B" and so on. And where the poet doesn't rhyme "pizza" with "freezer" (just as an example).

Anyway, why do you care? Be glad that there are *any* DD's given to literature deviations.
TheDorsai Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Each person experiences DeviantArt differently. Some people use it as a way to increase their customer base, some for tips on improving their form of art, and some as a social network. I, personally, use it as storage and as entertainment. I've lost documents before when computers crashed, so now I post my photos or writings online. And, as for as entertainment, most of my time on this site is spent scrolling through deviations and reading stories, poems, or comics. As I have a bias towards fixed form poetry and humor, I happened to notice that it was less frequently featured in Daily Deviations. As that's the quickest and easiest place to find quality work each day, I was expressing my desire to see more of what I liked.

Also, notice how I did not blaim or criticize in my post. I was asking a two-fold question. What reason people might think there could be for the lack of (what I perceived to be) diversity and what were some examples they knew of for previously featured fixed form or humor poems in Daily Deviations (so I could read them!).
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I never said you blamed anyone.

But it's a fact that literature is less popular than visual arts and that rhyming poems are less popular than free verse.

As for DD's, sometimes I find something I like, something I don't. That's why I joined so many groups ...
:iconthreedayweekend:
threedayweekend Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Writer
I don't know but I think your point is valid.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Writer
why are daily deviations that important to you? think first before you say they're not.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You could just as well leave out the "free verse" bit and ask why it's skewed towards poetry?

The answer would still be the same. There's a lot of poetry on the site, it's short and quick to read, so a lot of it gets viewed and thus suggested to the volunteers choosing the DDs.

If it bothers you the only solution is to make suggestions yourself for different material.
:iconnichrysalis:
Nichrysalis Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
There was a fixed form poem just last Tuesday. The problem isn't featuring a traditional or fixed form poem, it is finding ones that are respectable enough to feature while staying true to the form.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
For future reference, please don't make multiple threads on the same topic. :)

As people have already mentioned, it's a matter of what is out there as well as what is sent to us directly. Not to mention that, since fixed form has strict guidelines, if a work doesn't meet them it's out, whereas if it had been in Free Verse it might have still been featured.
TheDorsai Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I've never created a forum post before on any site in my life. I was unsure exactly where to put it. Thank you for the responses. You've been very helpful!
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Non-humorous free verse is probably 90-something percent f the poetry on DA. So it makes sense that you see a lot of it.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Digital Artist
They're just what people suggest. If you know of some good ones, im sure the mods would love suggestions. :D
Add a Comment: