Closed to new replies
November 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Curious about eBook publishing?

:iconsweetamberkins:
SweetAmberkins Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I'm curious as to how to go about it. Any suggested publishers? Amazon or Lulu? Any really complicated processes? Any funny details about this would really be appreciated :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontiganusi:
tiganusi Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional
:iconbangkillplz:
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist
As a couple have already mentioned, Amazon and Lulu aren't publishers - which brings up the next question, are you planning to self-publish? The process of creating the ebook itself is fairly simple - but marketing considerations add a whole new dimension to the process.
SweetAmberkins Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I was planning on self-publishing, I have studied marketing, but probably not on the publishing scale. thank you for all your kind advice. I'll be sure to look into it :huggle:
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist
I'm currently working on self-publishing a title, so I've been scouting the internet for advice. Call me a research squirrel; I have lots of little nuggets of wisdom buried in my bookmarks list, much of them contradicting each other.

My advice would be to avoid Lulu. I've heard Createspace can be a bit harder to work with, but the cost of the book will be lower than through Lulu. Createspace also gives you easy access to the Kindle.
SweetAmberkins Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Thanks for all the help, I'll be sure to look into it :D
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
If you are just going to use one retailer, Kindle is probably the best choice.
thank you for all your kind advice. I'll be sure to look into it :huggle:
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Writer
If you want to know about the funny details of eBook publishing, consider having a look at Smashwords: [link] .

I'm not saying that you should just go ahead and use them, but since they distribute to a variety of eBook retailers Smashwords is a good source of general (though not always particularly in-depth) information about the other places that sell eBooks. Having been using their site for a little while, I've become more familiar with which sites sell in which formats, where in the world they sell books, which retailers are handy for which reading devices...that sort of thing. They're especially handy if you'd otherwise just poke around Amazon's KDP service (and, as =vglory mentioned, there's no reason you can't sell through multiple retailers yourself).

Do be aware, though, that if you do decide to actually publish through Smashwords there are some drawbacks that they don't make clear. They're pretty transparent about how much of a cut they take from a book's sale price, but their estimates of when books will ship to retailers, when updates will be passed on, and when you'll get sales reports are extremely optimistic. Smashwords is slow. Convenient, but slow. I'd still wholeheartedly recommend using them, but depending on how much control you want over your book (and how much fiddling you're prepared to do) you may well want to deal with some retailers directly.
thank you for all your kind advice. I'll be sure to look into it :huggle:
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
I've gone through Lulu on a few projects. The whole process is pretty simple, but you'll get better results in terms of layout/design if you've got more than just basic knowledge of Word. Learning how to export as PDF is pretty easy. Selling the book is the hard part.
Add a Comment: