Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39

OC Appearances

:iconcityprincess01:
cityprincess01 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   General Artist
I have an OC that dresses all in black and wears a leather jacket all the time. He has pale skin, black hair and red eyes (being a fallen angel does that too you in my story). He does this because it makes him stand out in a world where all of my other characters are flashing their own unique styles.

To anyone who has experience in making OCs, do you think that my character's appearance may look a little mary sue-ish. I'm don't think so because there are reasons why he looks this way but I would like a second opinion. :-?

On another topic, What Does Your OC Look Like? :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlovelyinblack:
Lovelyinblack Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Artist
The personality and actions of a character are what make a character a Mary Sue. So no, your character's appearance does not make them a Sue. However, your character's appearance seems slightly generic for a fallen angel. It reminds me of a lot of anime characters. However, it's not necessarily a big deal, as long as his appearance isn't a major focus. Overall, his story is what's supposed to make him unique.

Since everyone here is posting drawings their characters I'll do the same. Her appearance has changed slightly though... just haven't had enough time to post anything new :/

:icon2aliens1astronaut:
2Aliens1Astronaut Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I'm fortunate enough in the fact that my playthings come with clothes already. I sometimes think that the clothes they wear is an extension of their personality. There are few that just appear to me. I cannot see the color of their hair or skin. I do not know what they like or don't like. I suppose they expect me to clothe them.
:iconclaycowboys:
ClayCowboys Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Writer
Appearance doesn't necessarily make a character a Mary Sue. Character does. And if you have any doubts as to whether your character is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu or not, there are a few litmus tests out there you can take (some of them are kind of 'meh', but there are some that aren't bad).

As for my lead character, here's what he looks like:

:iconterrytatcher:
TerryTatcher Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Well... if there are reasons... what are they?
:icononceuponanight23:
OnceUponANight23 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not Mary sue-ish at all. ;)

my OC is a 11 yearold boy with pale skin, black hair, bright blue eyes and an inocent smile. he hates dressing in red, since in the simbolism of my story red simbolizes death and my OC dies at the end. he likes wearing green shirts because green reminds him of nature.
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think that he's mary sue-ish but I don't know his personality or motivation. I think that is what makes the difference

I've got an OC which looks oddly similar to yours:
Samael is the child of an angel and a demon what makes him a greyblood
he has long black hair and light blue eyes like a snake.
He something like the guardian of the earth
:iconcityprincess01:
cityprincess01 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   General Artist
thanks for the reply!
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Filmographer
Based on your description, I've seen like 2000 of your OC on dA.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
"Mary Sue" is a relative term. The same thing that makes someone a Mary Sue in one fictitious world may be totally normal in another. Example: there's a literary character named Mara Jade. She's an orphan, has powers almost equal to the hero, falls in love with him, and turned from evil to good. The twist? She's Mara Jade, a character in the "Star Wars" universe, where virtually all of the main good guys are orphans, have "special" powers, and make important switches from bad to good (or vis versa).

You say that your OC inhabits a world full of unique-looking people, so I don't think he sounds like a Mary Sue. Even if he is rather unusual looking, that alone doesn't make someone a Mary Sue.
:iconsmilkey:
smilkey Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do a unique design on your OC's clothing. Yah, it would make your OC a bit mary sue-ish, but sometimes it can't be helped without sacrificing the concept behind the OC. I think appearance-wise, besides the color schemes, design has a huge impact on the appeal of an OC.

My OCs are all in the fantasy genre....so...they look like fantasy OCs..... =P They are all humanoids cuz my imagination is that limited :B
Add a Comment: