Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

To Any Erotica Writers...

:iconfondofmusic:
So it seems to me that erotica stories are becoming more and more popular. I'm pretty sure that's the case. One of my main aspirations is to write for a living, so I'd recently been trying to figure out what's popular and who's reading what.My conclusion - I think the genre that gets most vast audience right now is erotica.
Problem: Even though it seems like a very interesting genre to write, and I'd love to try it, I just can't seem to start. I really didn't know why until I had an epiphany today - erotica writers base their writing off of past experiences *wink wink*.
And me...I don't have any great past experiences to reflect back on.
So if any erotica writers out there could tell me, I'm curious to know, how do you think of your topics?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconisobellablye:
As an author of erotica I love hearing that the genre is this 'hottest' at the moment (excuse the weak pun!
As a starting point why don't you write about what turns you on? Everyone has a favourite fantasy that they drag out when needed. What scene do you call to mind? Write it! There are many helpful sites now too specifically regarding writing erotica. Just google 'erotica writing tips,' or something like that and you'll find lots of inspiration.
Oh and one thinbg - though it's stating the obvious - erotica stories should ALWAYS have a happy ending!
:iconneiot:
Neiot Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think of my topics by pondering over...

• What do I like?
• Where and what time would this take place?
• What characters do I use?
• What would this character do, and what would this character do to this character?
• How would this go about? What position, what expressions, what dialogue...?
• How do I finish it? In a hail of fireworks(like any lazy writer would do) or a romantic cuddle after the big climax?
• I think it over and change anything that discomforts my tastes. Then I begin writing.
:iconaret:
Aret Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
People don't base it off experiences they've had, they base it off experiences they want. It helps to build on things you've done personally, but if you've got a decent imagination and are willing to read lots of existing erotica, it's pretty easy to get by without ever doing anything yourself.
:iconangelicchoas:
I think very few people awesome erotic experiences. When I want to write something that will make your audience squirm in their seat with desire and such. I suggest start writing rather than thinking on it too much.Forget your writing let your imagination take over the writing. Sexual tension is also a good thing to have within a story but you shouldn't have it come to soon. Of every story the author need to be an expert of tying because if you have the climax of the story come to soon then it will be a longer of a decline story which will be less enjoyable then if you build on the tension and do a false climax of the story line and then the tension will build even faster then put the climax of the story towards the end it will make the readers squirm. Also when describing things like smells and taste make them more flowing teasing. I hope this helps you in your want to write erotica.
Though I do have a warning for you. As a writer you'll always write better when your passionate about what your writing because that will ensure you will do research about what you write and will have a better story rather then people that are just writing to sell a story.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Nov 15, 2012  Student Writer
You don't need to base it off of past experiences. You can just fantasize about something you've never done but have been interested in, or you could use the experiences of others when they tell you stories.
:iconvglory:
I write (and have published) erotica about gay men, from a gay man's point of view and am a women, so I think I can safely say directly relevant past experience is not a prerequisite.

But if you think erotica is going to be any easy sell, you may be in for surprise. Erotica is a series of niche markets, you have to understand which niche you are in and cater to it.
:iconfondofmusic:
Ahh, thanks for the info
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Dick, dick, dick. What's to tell?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Show, don't tell.
:iconms-junesummers:
Ms-JuneSummers Nov 15, 2012  Student Writer
I know many people believe you shouldn't write about things you haven't experienced yourself, but if you read a lot and do some research you can get away with a lot of things. I think the most important thing is to keep the emotions real, not so much the sex. The sex is the fantasy part, but if the emotions aren't real, readers will have a hard time sympathizing/identifying with your characters.

As for topics, mine are based on past heartbreaks and frustrations. It's sort of therapeutic for me to give my characters a happy ending, and that's what keeps me going. :)
Add a Comment: