Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 82

Poetry: Is It Really That Ignored?

:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have been browsing the Literature community lately and have noticed one simple fact that just perplexes me. Why does everyone ignore poets? but still, the fandom fan-fiction gets 70% + of the attention of the lit on DA.( just thought I would throw that in here....yea,yea,yea it's a Dead Horse )

The point is why are poets are that underrated?

of course this could be just me being oblivious to everything in the long run. :slow:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think poetry is ignored, I think there is an awful lot of it that's just the same, and this can desensitize anyone wanting to read new and interesting poetry.

When I started posting here a month ago, the very first person to comment on my work, said it was like a breath of fresh air in the poetry world.

I don't know how to comment on something like that because I just write about what interests me (I write spiritual/metaphysical poems that focus heavily on visualisation and emotion).

I have been published (quite along time ago) and it was one of the proudest moments of my life, but I view my poetry as a hobby that I like to play around with and if people like what I publish on DA, then that's good, because they felt something that connected with them.

Sometimes, my work will be favourited within a minute of being published on DA, and this is fine, but what I like is when somebody takes the time to comment on my work, and mention how a particular verse or poem in its entirety made them feel.

Often I see art on DA that leaves me speechless with its beauty, and sometimes I find it difficult to verbalise what I mean to say in a standard comment, so I may leave a comment as a poetic verse, or send the artist a private message. I find it easier communicating via poetic words.

What I have found is that if people like my work, they eventually stop favouriting it as they go along and add me to their watch list (which is what I do with fellow artists whose work really touches me).
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
3-5 word comments are annoying I feel your pain there. Yes most poetry is " I cut myself because mommy did not hug me" shit, but on occasion you will find a good one, I have about 3 who also write my style...I find you writing quite fantastic by the way.
:B
:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm pleased you like my work, and thank you for the Watch :)
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Honestly, based on reading poetry on the site, and elsewhere, I think poetry has a PR problem. It seems that so much of the darned stuff is the typical melodramatic teenaged first world issue stuff. It seems to me that it's those teens who dominate in 'free' poetry publishing. When I have to read 20 poems to find one decent one, I'm going to be a lot less inclined to check out the poetry on a site. At least with fiction, I know right off the bat to skip most fan fiction, and almost everything involving superheroes, vampires, or teenagers in school, which helps narrow down where to look for good stuff. That doesn't seem possible with poetry, by the nature of its typical organization.

Also, I want to thank you for posting this, because I've got the beginning of a poem to write down now. You people are all being incredibly inspiring lately!
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:aww: thanks.
but yea, it seems that a super race of emo bronys run DA now....I still love the site but it just annoys me to see such buttfuckary awfulness around the galleries. :no:
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The bronies thing doesn't bug me at all. I'm a secret brony. But the emo stuff... ugh, I know it's a phase pretty much every teenager goes through, but it's really not the sort of thing I want to read.
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:noes: you are no longer a secret brony now!
but I never went though a emo stage....I think. :hmm:
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
It seems that poems are generally losing popularity due to being significantly shorter than stories are.

Unfortunately, we tend to remember stories a lot better than poems, as they have a lot more words in them, and they get significantly longer. However, I think poetry can be inserted into a story. For example, a character that wants to win their love interest's heart might resort to poetry. In this sense, I wouldn't say that poetry is ignored.

However, it does sadden me that there aren't as many poems as there were in the past.
:iconsarurki:
Sarurki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Let's just say. Poetry is about expressing those who need it. It can be private, but could be open also. Depends on how you write, and what the poem is about. Most of my poetry, in which, I'll be putting up when I get the time. "If" you say poetry is ignored; it's because some of the people enjoy photography - $namenotrequired: It's not about the larger polls in views or artist - Artists can be divided in literture, photography, and et cetera. But, it you want to live up to the aspects, you can be all those in which I know. I'm mainly a poet but I enjoy my feelings in words. My photography can be expressed in nature in beauty
:iconsarurki:
Sarurki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Let's just say. Poetry is about expressing those who need it. It can be private, but could be open also. Depends on how you write, and what the poem is about. Most of my poetry, in which, I'll be putting up when I get the time. "If" you say poetry is ignored; it's because some of the people enjoy photography - $namenotrequired: It's not about the larger polls in views or artist - Artists can be divided in literture, photography, and et cetera. But, it you want to live up to the aspects, you can be all those in which I know. I'm mainly a poet but I enjoy my feelings in words. My photography can be expressed in nature in beauty.
:iconhodhandr:
Hodhandr Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Poetry is usually either very good, or just bad. Personally I've gotten very good responses from my poems, but poetry is generally a thing for the specifically interested, except for the occasional simple and brilliant masterpiece, which if you look at them and analyze them are: short, simple and makes every word have an impact on the poem.
Again, my experience talking, the really simple ones seem to be what is enjoyed the most by those who aren't especially interested in poetry.

For example: I wrote a poem called "Hungry", which essentially goes "I'm hungry.", and during 5 mins I got 2 +favs and 15 views, and the view counter doesn't even count the ones who looks at it in the thingamajig page where you see the newest deviations(It's really short ), and this was when most americans (should) be asleep (~5am, west coast time).
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:B yea, my poems ( try ) to be short and the view counts for all of them are 100+ but few faves, which doe not matter honestly because look at the fandoms. :iconmingplz:...but in reality it depends on what is popular in the art world, Fanficton, angst emo kids etc. Faves don't make the better writer or artist in my opinion it just makes me feel odd that it gets hate from (some) of the DA community.....my opinion is that they don't want to read. *cough Americans cough*
( but I am american myself, I know that is mean thing to say but it is kinda a fact, at least in my state )
:iconwaiting-for-wings:
waiting-for-wings Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
poetry is the main form of literature i read here on DA followed by fan fiction then the very occasional fiction.
fan fiction is very adictive i feel the need to point out, but i also believe that many people that do not read poety believe that all or at least most of it are sappy love poems. and that puts a lot of people off
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:noes: I hate that kind of poetry too....Teenagers bitching in the form of lines makes me grumpy and hate to love poetry, but I still cant stop doing it....it's a love/hate hobby :grump:
:iconactingdude17:
ActingDude17 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Writer
The average poem is more complex and harder to appreciate than the average fan fiction.
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
that's what I have been thinking for a while too.
:iconanovoca:
Anovoca Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Writer
Poetry is pretty much all I write and I have no complaints. I have some very strong established friendships with other authors on this site and we watch and critique each others work. If you are looking to draw more attention to your work just make that work stand out or find others with similar styles as you. If you are expecting DA to lift your notoriety to being the next Shakespeare your simply expecting too much but if you try hard enough you will get out what you put in.
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
the next Shakespeare sounds almost impossible.....I don't have THAT kind of motivation. I just love to do what I do on the side of work. That's like comparing a pony "artist" to Da Vinci. :|

Anyway yes, I understand.
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There are times I read poetry and other times I don't. Some people just like reading fanfiction to ease their fanboy/fangirl mind. I like writing it though sometimes. Rhyming words are fun~!
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
yes, yes it is.....:dummy: dummy is yummy?!!!
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
lol umm shi*ty and city XD
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
There's a surprisingly unknown concept in fiction where people will watch beloved characters do anything no matter how boring. The reason fanfiction succeeds is because of that very concept.

And yeah poetry is just terrible. Even the best poets in the world can only put out 1 or 2 decent lines so how can you expect amateurs to create anything of literary merit. If you don't have that primal connection with words and metaphysics you can't even appreciate poetry, while on the other hand many people can enjoy a novel or short story.

Except for a few powerful lines I've read in my lifetime, the vastness of worthless poetry is deeper than any ocean.
yep, without good thought out lines most of it falls apart.
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I have a page of random poems I bothered to upload. Most people would call me a 'poet'. I hate reading poetry. Hate it. Hate. H8. I don't know why, I just do.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012   Digital Artist
People ignore things that don't interest them. Therefore, I 'ignore' poetry (for the most part. sometimes something catches my eye.) because I don't like it. Same with why I 'ignore' fractal art or anthro. Nothing against it, just not my cup of tea.

If one art form is more 'ignored' than another, then it's just a reflection of the general population of da's interests. I don't reckon that one art form or another is unfairly ignored here. There's brilliant art and rubbish art in any category.

So if fanfiction seems popular, it's because lots of people like it. And good for them. If you're not writing fanfiction, then you don't have to give a toss how popular it is. It's not stealing your audience. (Incidentally, the writers who try and get critique in the monthly sticky for their fanfics would tell you they are overlooked in their in favour of 'original' work. ;P)
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yea, the beginning of this thread I was being shit head, now I am thinking more about it and am waking up to those facts.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Digital Artist
Lol, don't worry about it. :D
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The poets here are not underrated. They really are that bad.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Writer
As a poet here, I agree. We have a generation of emotions first, style last.
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
For me it's not even a matter of style per se. I'm not dogmatic about styles, but for me the focus has to be on evoking a response from the reader. I suppose if I were to offer something more thoughtful than "it sucks", I'd say that most DA poets seem too self-absorbed to consider the reader, and are concerned mainly with (as you say) dumping out their own emotions.
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Writer
Hmm, a very nice outlook. You are an entertainer, in a sense, and you should have the reader in mind.

I thank you for the thought. :handshake:
ow my feelings.
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If it makes you feel any better, the same is true for 99% of the prose too. There are a handful of writers whose work I can consistently enjoy, but aside from that... :P

Perhaps I just haven't found the poets yet. Or maybe my standards are too high. There's a reason I don't write poetry myself.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Writer
intricately-ordinary and Is-lnds are two of my favorite poets on here. Perhaps you'd like them? I find them to be top-notch.
I actually have that user on my page, also gives me tips too. :nod:
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   Writer
Oh okay.
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hmmm... Thanks for that.
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Interface Designer
People are here for what interests them. There's no point trying to get attention to your poetry from people that are here for photography or fan fiction - just two arbitrary examples that have a larger public. Not just more viewers, more artists too, and in fact, more underappreciated artists too.
yea, I just have a natural hatred for most fandoms.....but yes to repeat *raspil
THIS x 1,000,000 and forever.
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Interface Designer
:highfive:
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012   Writer
THIS x 1,000,000 forever and ever.
Normally you're the one that everyone says that to. :B
i know wisdom when i see it and i always feel moved to acknowledge it.
:bow:
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I have a shelf full of poetry books but don't read it here. The risk/benefit ratio is unfavorable. I just read a few people I know produce worthwhile stuff.
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
This is such a common misconception, it's grating on the nerves. People seem to post a single poem, maybe two, and then decide it's fruitless after a few days...without reaching out themselves.

Reaching out does not have to mean "give a comment, get a comment". Join a group or two. Participate in a comment. Participate in those groups with prompts (transliterations and ScreamPrompts come to mind, but I'm sure there are others). We are a kind of community here, admittedly quite small compared to the visual part of the site, but we exist and are as active as any other group of artists on the site. You just have to look for it, and it really is not that hard.
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Writer
Agreed. Very well said.
sounds right, sounds like I am being a shithead for posting now. :grump: but it's ok, you lean something everyday.
:iconfblikeplz:
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Poetry is a dead art except to people who can read.
Add a Comment: