Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 82

Poetry: Is It Really That Ignored?

:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have been browsing the Literature community lately and have noticed one simple fact that just perplexes me. Why does everyone ignore poets? but still, the fandom fan-fiction gets 70% + of the attention of the lit on DA.( just thought I would throw that in here....yea,yea,yea it's a Dead Horse )

The point is why are poets are that underrated?

of course this could be just me being oblivious to everything in the long run. :slow:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think poetry is ignored, I think there is an awful lot of it that's just the same, and this can desensitize anyone wanting to read new and interesting poetry.

When I started posting here a month ago, the very first person to comment on my work, said it was like a breath of fresh air in the poetry world.

I don't know how to comment on something like that because I just write about what interests me (I write spiritual/metaphysical poems that focus heavily on visualisation and emotion).

I have been published (quite along time ago) and it was one of the proudest moments of my life, but I view my poetry as a hobby that I like to play around with and if people like what I publish on DA, then that's good, because they felt something that connected with them.

Sometimes, my work will be favourited within a minute of being published on DA, and this is fine, but what I like is when somebody takes the time to comment on my work, and mention how a particular verse or poem in its entirety made them feel.

Often I see art on DA that leaves me speechless with its beauty, and sometimes I find it difficult to verbalise what I mean to say in a standard comment, so I may leave a comment as a poetic verse, or send the artist a private message. I find it easier communicating via poetic words.

What I have found is that if people like my work, they eventually stop favouriting it as they go along and add me to their watch list (which is what I do with fellow artists whose work really touches me).
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
3-5 word comments are annoying I feel your pain there. Yes most poetry is " I cut myself because mommy did not hug me" shit, but on occasion you will find a good one, I have about 3 who also write my style...I find you writing quite fantastic by the way.
:B
:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm pleased you like my work, and thank you for the Watch :)
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Honestly, based on reading poetry on the site, and elsewhere, I think poetry has a PR problem. It seems that so much of the darned stuff is the typical melodramatic teenaged first world issue stuff. It seems to me that it's those teens who dominate in 'free' poetry publishing. When I have to read 20 poems to find one decent one, I'm going to be a lot less inclined to check out the poetry on a site. At least with fiction, I know right off the bat to skip most fan fiction, and almost everything involving superheroes, vampires, or teenagers in school, which helps narrow down where to look for good stuff. That doesn't seem possible with poetry, by the nature of its typical organization.

Also, I want to thank you for posting this, because I've got the beginning of a poem to write down now. You people are all being incredibly inspiring lately!
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:aww: thanks.
but yea, it seems that a super race of emo bronys run DA now....I still love the site but it just annoys me to see such buttfuckary awfulness around the galleries. :no:
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The bronies thing doesn't bug me at all. I'm a secret brony. But the emo stuff... ugh, I know it's a phase pretty much every teenager goes through, but it's really not the sort of thing I want to read.
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:noes: you are no longer a secret brony now!
but I never went though a emo stage....I think. :hmm:
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional Writer
It seems that poems are generally losing popularity due to being significantly shorter than stories are.

Unfortunately, we tend to remember stories a lot better than poems, as they have a lot more words in them, and they get significantly longer. However, I think poetry can be inserted into a story. For example, a character that wants to win their love interest's heart might resort to poetry. In this sense, I wouldn't say that poetry is ignored.

However, it does sadden me that there aren't as many poems as there were in the past.
:iconsarurki:
Sarurki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Let's just say. Poetry is about expressing those who need it. It can be private, but could be open also. Depends on how you write, and what the poem is about. Most of my poetry, in which, I'll be putting up when I get the time. "If" you say poetry is ignored; it's because some of the people enjoy photography - $namenotrequired: It's not about the larger polls in views or artist - Artists can be divided in literture, photography, and et cetera. But, it you want to live up to the aspects, you can be all those in which I know. I'm mainly a poet but I enjoy my feelings in words. My photography can be expressed in nature in beauty
:iconsarurki:
Sarurki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Let's just say. Poetry is about expressing those who need it. It can be private, but could be open also. Depends on how you write, and what the poem is about. Most of my poetry, in which, I'll be putting up when I get the time. "If" you say poetry is ignored; it's because some of the people enjoy photography - $namenotrequired: It's not about the larger polls in views or artist - Artists can be divided in literture, photography, and et cetera. But, it you want to live up to the aspects, you can be all those in which I know. I'm mainly a poet but I enjoy my feelings in words. My photography can be expressed in nature in beauty.
Add a Comment: