Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Question...

:iconirthumper:
IrThumper Nov 10, 2012   General Artist
Ok, I don't know why it's happening but this is the second time I've tried using the forums and my posts... don't post... or disappear ??? :(

Trying this again...

I'm wanting to know if anyone out here has any experience writing or reading YA in the fantasy-romance subgenre? I'm a student writer working on a project and am interested in finding and discussing my chosen genre/subject with other like minded peeps.

Thanks!

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lock: the content is overall a duplicate of [link] - if you'd like to start a separate discussion about writing romance, please make sure it's not already covered by an existing thread in this forum. FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?
:iconvglory:
This is the literature forum, you can safely assume that we read book. And that some of us, myself included, read YA.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Vampires mating with humans and having babies is popular.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Nov 10, 2012
YA?
:iconsomenavyseals:
SomeNavySEALs Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You visit the lit forum?
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Nov 10, 2012
Of course, this is one of the two places where I get to see bookworms. :la: The other place is in the picture below.
:iconsomenavyseals:
SomeNavySEALs Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That picture didn't get me last time I saw you post it either :P
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Young Adult.
:iconirthumper:
IrThumper Nov 10, 2012   General Artist
Hi! :aww: One of the things I'd like to know is the popularity of YA romance today? I'm taking a romance writer's course but my specialty is really sentient animal fantasy (like Lion King, Watership Down, etc). I would love to stick with the fantasy aspect, but I don't know if my writer's voice will go over well in mainsteam adult romance vs YA in the fantasy subgenre :hmm:
:icondamonwakes:
I've never been sure what people actually expect to go into a young adult book in the first place. Teenagers shouldn't have trouble with "difficult" language, and there doesn't seem to be anything to unite YA books in terms of genre, since they can still fall easily into any of the usual categories. If you haven't already, you might find it helpful to look into what makes books YA books rather than just plain books.

Also, you might be interested in looking outside fantasy, as neither of the things you've mentioned by name are especially fantastical. The Lion King has some definite fantasy elements, but Watership Down doesn't seem to dwell on anything particularly fantastical (though again, there is a splash of it in there). It's not a great fit, but Watership Down has got some definite similarities to "wild animal stories" such as those in [link] . The preview for that book is well worth reading as the first bit covers some of the differences between "realistic" animal stories and the more fantastical kind. Based on your conversation with ~Papillon-pourpre, I think you might find it quite helpful. If you want to check out any of the stories it mentions, there's a very good chance they're available online for free as most are very old.
Add a Comment: