Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 35

Lit class horror stories

:iconanovoca:
Anovoca Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Writer
I am not sure why but most of my threads like to slowly drift towards this topic so I thought it might just merit its own post. I want to hear about your lit class horror stories. Tell me about he worst of the worst experiences with literature in a classroom environment and how it changed and maybe even temporarily ruined your perception of literature. I am sure there are a few out there that think they had nothing but great teachers and wouldn't be a member of this community if it wasn't for them, but I am guessing that most of your experiences are like mine, full of pretentious view points and forced analysis of ancient literature with out of date and non applicable social metaphors.

So let the ranting begin!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconburningquill:
BurningQuill Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Writer
My high school creative writing class is small and can't afford to have quality control. Last trimester was the worst it has ever been. The highlights were: the worst fan-fic I have ever read (the main character is superman and batman's love child) a young man who couldn't figure out how to write sensible dialogue, a guy who wrote only wrote rap lyrics (I would have minded less if they were good) a girl who one week just wrote a rant and her best friend who wrote a short story that got her a trip to the principle's office by a different teacher because it looked a little too much like a terrorist threat .
Anovoca Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Writer
Lol
:iconrustoxides:
RustOxides Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
My teacher was full of feminist activism during my English literature lessons. Not that that's a bad thing, but it seriously put me off bothering my own view points in the class... being the only male out of 12......

She forced it down our throats ( I'm saying ours, many of the girls also felt it was oppressive).

Scenario:
She would start the lesson encouraging us to voice and explore our own interpretations and opinions of the text, and that everyone's own standing is valid as long as you can back it up with evidence/explanation etc

She would read a section of the text, then talk about her own interpretation and opinion of the characters, the events, the symbolism etc (no matter what being critical of male actions and view points)

She then went around the class getting everyone to comment on the text, and of course turned to me. "So, how about you give us a male perspective on the text, since you are the only male here."

Id have to explain my view point, but every time, even if it agreed mostly with the rest of the classes, she would sit there after I had finished, hesitate slight and say "that's not quite what were looking for", followed up by a monologue of slightly insulting explanations of male psychology......................................................................................................................

It put me off even bothering to contribute, and for about 4 months when ever I got asked a question I just shrugged and didn't even attempt to answer. Probably didn't improve her personal view points of men, but I couldn't care less at that point. I felt it was pointless to contribute at all and everything I thought/ felt about the text was irrelevant. (despite her explanation at the beginning of no opinion is wrong?)

It was seriously the worst time studying literature I have ever experienced. I'm all for gender equality, just not the improvement of one to the disadvantage of the other. Equality means equal, not her version of 'Women need to be more important than men'.

Now that I have opened a whole new bag of worms, I shall depart haha xD
Anovoca Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Writer
Jeeze, iam not sure I could have play edit so coy and probably would have called her out on it or had one of the girls in the class call her out.

I grew up and went to school in a very conservative part of the country so I never really dealt with any activisum but I did have a tech teacher who was highered due to affirmative action who thought the first layer of the osi model was the presentation layer and flunked me on a test because I listed it elsewise........ She also frequently graded and returned homework and forgot to write the grade in her book and then gave 0% for it at the end of the period
:iconrustoxides:
RustOxides Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
Im not naturally a confident person, and that certainly didnt help haha. I don't do well with confrontation either. Im one of those that if I need to speak to a teacher, but they are teaching in a class at that time, I would hover outside constantly bricking it and nearly going in before stopping, waiting another few minutes to try again. >_< And even then I get shakey hands and voice in front of 30 12 year olds haha xD Im nearly 18 damn it!

Nightmare :/
That happened to me, week after week losing my work after I hand it in, then marking me down as 0%, I even got the head involved as my parents saw me write/ draw my work, but she still refused to accept I did anything all year haha!
:iconaustinblan:
austinblan Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
One of my classes had us write a Halloween story. I think that I did pretty well.

[link]
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
I had a creative writing class in college in which the professor forbade genre fiction, stating that nothing that could be classified as mystery, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy or romance would be allowed. :stare:
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Writer
My horror stories are about the students, not the teachers.

I was in a Novel Writing class in community college--yeah, I shouldn't expect much, but I'm poor and I made shit grades in high school--and more than half the people there seemed to be taking it for an "easy A". However, this story isn't about one of those people. This is about one of the girls who was actually quite serious, although I doubt she's ever read a whole novel in her entire life.

Our assignment was to write a chapter of our novels every 2 weeks and bring in enough copies for the whole class to read over, take home, and critique. In this way, all the students ended up reading everyone's work.

Her "novel" was really more of a series of repeating essays restating the same message: all women are innocent angels, all men are cruel predators who merely want to get in a woman's pants, humiliate her and leave her. Each "chapter" was a story about a different innocent pure girl who was only looking for true love falling for a douche bag and ending up with the same result. At the close of her chapters, she wrote in an essay explaining her views on how all men are evil and how all girls should "watch out".

The text itself was also very heavily flawed. She used txtspk. She used cliches in every paragraph. The text had no real organization to it as she would jump back and forth chronologically; there was even a point where the poor innocent girl is about to have sex with the douchebag, and she wrote in "(I'm not gonna write that, just use your imagination ;) )" including the smiley face.

I critiqued the shit out of it (we were graded on our critiques as well as our work) and she ended up crying. Some white-knight friend called me a bitch, and then the teacher humiliated me in front of the class while sucking up to her.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Two words: Scarlet Letter. If you want to turn an entire school off of classic literature, make that mandatory reading. What a god awful piece of ancient shit. Fucking Nathaniel Hawthorne does not believe in fucking paragraphs, just 5-6 page long paragraphs before a break, and the subject matter was absolutely miserable.
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist
Having read some of the replies made me realize I was really fairly fortunate. I always had teachers who encouraged creative and critical thinking, knew their subject well, and knew how to balance challenge and encouragement.
Add a Comment: