Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

short stores v novels

:iconanovoca:
Anovoca Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Writer
In my experience so far (which is nothing compared to most of you) I am finding it far more difficult to formulate ideas, format, and begin to write a short story than a 50,000 word novel. I am curious if this experience has been the same for most of you and your thoughts on why that is. Shouldn't the ability to write novels translate in the ability to write short stories and vise versa? For those of you that primarily write short stories and consider themselves naturals at that art form, how much time do you put in to time lines, and characterizations before sitting down to write?

Secondly, do any of you find one genre of story harder to write than others? i.e. children's stories vs. horror

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbenevolenthellion:
BenevolentHellion Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am writing a novel right now and have a whole universe set out for it, but I only managed to work out all the kinks of my fictional reality my writing a selection of non-cannon short stories.

When ever I do something creative I layer it so a short store begins as a pre-draft then gets rewritten into a first draft and so on, with my novel I am doing very much the same process except I am writing and splicing many already completed short stories together. Its all the means to a greater end to me.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I suck at writing short stories. They usually end up as character studies and drabbles rather than stories with a beginning, middle and end. :P
:iconanovoca:
Anovoca Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Writer
:lol:
:saddummy: For some reason I hate reading stories like that.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Writer
that's why you plan. but that all depends on what you want to do, if you want to write them at all. i find them way more satisfying to write because i can bust one out and post it and loads of people will read it. no one reads my novels.
I just usually can't shrink it down enough for it to be considered a short story. They sound quick and rushed. :P

I agree that short stories are much easier to just pick up and read. Sometimes it's hard to sit down through a whole book, especially if you read slowly.
you can't do it yet. this takes practice if you want to learn how to do it well. if not, then... pft.
But practice takes longer

I want to get better now :noes:
yeahno

doesn't work that way, sorry.
it took me eight years of steady writing to get where i am and i still have a lot to learn.
Awwww

Wellp, better get started then :shifty:
Add a Comment: