Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 53

Do you think you can be an expert in love by simply reading...

:iconcynicrylle:
Cynicrylle Nov 5, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I watched this awesome anime called "the world god only knows" or simply TWGOK.
It feautures a dating sims geek who has no experience in real-life romance. Desite that, he uses all of his knowledge in gal games to make girls fall in love with him.

So I was thinking, If someone would read/watch lots of romance, would their genre-saviness and own confidence be enough to win someone's heart?

Of course, I'm not implying that all romance readers are in love with someone. I'm just asking your opinion on the boundaries of love genre-saviness.

*I was going to ask the same for humor but I'm a living example of why it is false.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshininginthedarkness:
Probably about as much as I know about using a gun from Resident Evil games.
(Press R1 to reload!)
:iconhodhandr:
Hodhandr Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Heard about Don Quixote? [link] Basically he's read too much stories, and his view of the world is... seriously flawed. I think you could probably learn something, but to be an expert one needs to practice, something which you can't do by just reading. At least unless you're seriously altered/high.

As with all genre-savviness, outside your genre you're still a no-one, and whatever you read is likely not "examples from real life" as a genre.
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No, it wouldn't work.
I have a friend (he's a guy) who thinks that reading girls' books will help him understand girls better (he doesn't discriminate which books he reads, he reads EVERYTHING). The argument I used for him is the same I will use here, with you:

What happens in stories are just that: stories. They're not real. These sort of things don't happen in real life. The author's purpose is to make money and, in relation to romances, to make readers feel good about what they have read. Things don't always turn out so happily.
If you read too many romance books, you'll forget what is real and what isn't in the world of dating, and you'll end up worse than before. By reading so many of those books, you'll get sucked into their fake world and when you finally see the reality, it'll be worse for you than it would have otherwise been.
:iconlightmypassage:
LightMyPassage Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I think by reading a lot of romance, you can at least make a difference of what's real, and what's not. Because it's fiction, you can fairly say, it's not ever going to happen to a regular girl or guy (nevertheless, that's exactly what happens in the books).
There is some wisdom in flimsy romance books though, which you can use in everyday life. How the people on those books, who are said to read that exact same kind of books, can still be like "oh, I had no idea that's what will/can happen", is a mystery though. Because I'm 21, and the girls in those books are about 30, and must have read even more books than I have, and still, they don't get it. But it's a book, right? =P
:iconproffesor-rose:
Proffesor-Rose Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
i dont think so i wouldve hooked up along time ago
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You CAN do anything with knowledge rather than experience. I wouldn't count on it working in practice, though.
:iconteano:
No. Because a lot of love stories are plain bullshit.

Pardon my French, but that's just the way it is.
:iconactingdude17:
ActingDude17 Nov 7, 2012  Student Writer
Can someone take over the world just by reading political books? No, but that knowledge will allow them to get some real life experience, which is key to getting there.
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
Can you drive a car if you've only taken lessons in traffic regulations?
:iconyunonglu:
I don't beleive so. In books the author picks how the person responds. In life, it is a lot more complicated and like a game of chess. Ha-ha.
Add a Comment: