Details

Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37
:iconanime-dream-girl96:
anime-dream-girl96 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
So I was discussing with a friend about themes in writing and he told me I couldn't write a story unless I have theme(s). When I first started writing I was too young to realize writing had themes and whatnot, and usually when I come up with a plot and/or story idea themes aren't the first thing I come up with.
What are your opinions? Do you need to think about themes before anything else, or do you think of them after you've come up with a plot and such?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
I think it's absolutely mandatory to do whatever the hell works for you. In my case, that would be dreaming up a core idea; a gimmick or hook. Then I craft a story arc for it. Next, I sit down and look for a theme in it, and if it isn't there I start shaping one as a spine for it. Lastly, characters and settings and such. And I bet that would be ruinous for some other Deviants who do it backward or sideways and do it well.
Trust your instincts!
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Agreed!
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Writer
i never think of theme when i write a story. ever. why? because i don't see a need. be careful of people who speak in absolutes and make generalizations.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional General Artist
Well, first I would say your friend is wrong and his thinking is probably influenced by the way theme is approached in English/literature classes. Theme is one of those things that's going to arise from the story, whether the writer was consciously starting with one or not. The truth is very few themes can be sufficiently reduced to a single statement, and even looking at literature as only being about that statement is to miss the point.

But my guess is that you, and probably most writers, have some particular issue or set of issues that concern you, and some particular thing you are communicating in your work. Every story does this, whether it is on the high or low end of the spectrum. Even if you're not totally conscious of what that is, it's coming through in the work, and that's what leads to a theme. So honestly, I wouldn't worry to much.

As to whether I personally think about themes, yeah kinda. I don't really start out with a particular theme to be communicated, but as I'm working, certain ideas appear and I run with them. Basically, themes tend to develop as I write, while certain concepts might be there from the beginning.
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You don't need to write with a theme. I don't go around thinking of themes before I write anything. Very little of what I write has an intentional theme to it. Then again, like a lot of things in writing, its concerning the story.

If I want a theme, then I'm writing for a them. If I don't, then I don't even worry about it. I just write.
:iconpawi666:
pawi666 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I have a feeling I always have a theme for each of my stories :O
But I don't seriously think about it

actually themes are just something suddenly popped out of my head. I'll base my story on it a little bit, but the thing matters usually is the plot.

tell your friend that writing isn't something you have to be too serious with, i mean, if it's a fiction or a novel. so he doesn't have to convince his friend to write and use his method :3
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Writer
I do usually try to have some kind of "theme" in mind, but these tend to develop once I'm already writing. I think it's far more important that your story has some kind of significance, which it will unless you're one of those people who's just writing so they can say that they've written something. It doesn't sound like you are.

When was the last time anybody threw a book down in disgust saying "There are no themes in this!"? A far more common complaint is "This isn't going anywhere."
:iconfirekat97:
Firekat97 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I don't even think about the word "theme" when I'm writing. It catches me off guard and I lose precious time to write. Don't worry about the theme.
:iconmornnight:
mornnight Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You really dont need theses do write story. Well yea, but that can be done last. Its not really that important
:iconanime-dream-girl96:
anime-dream-girl96 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Do you want to know who told me this?
Add a Comment: