Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 100

Little known vampire weaknesses. Please help

:icondragonnerd445:
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   Digital Artist
Please, what are some lesser known vampire weakness. Please no one mention garlic or stake through the heart, those are way over used. I want something more obscure. Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcopperfield17:
Copperfield17 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Coral is the "stone" associated with the Virgin Mary. It is a symbol of purity, which is the same reason as silver. While not specifically a vampire weakness, it could easily be construed as one by ways of reliquaries or blessings. Holy swords (as in those carried by Templars and Eastern Orthodox Priests) are also an Eastern European vampire weakness. Holy ground is also a weakness of theirs. Some lesser vampires turn to dust on it. Stronger ones are severely weakened and vulnerable to attack. Those are the obscure ones I know.
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Digital Artist
Now that's one I've never heard of. :o Thanks.
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
this is extremely obscure but keeping breadcrumbs in your pocket is supposed to keep away vampires and fae.
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Digital Artist
Oooh, nice one. :D
:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Writer
I've heard of water being like acid!
:iconanonymous-yet-again:
anonymous-yet-again Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012   Writer
That would probably be holy water, yeah.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
I forgot exactly what region the myth is common in, but some say that vampires have no bones :|
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012   Digital Artist
Wow...really? D: Creepy!
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Yes. Also, look up different sorts of vampires. I think the most creative I've come across is one from Malaysia which takes the form of a normal human woman in the day. At night, they grow wings and a long, spiky tongue, split in half at the torso and fly around, sticking their tongues into windows to drink children's blood with their intestines dangling out of their bodies. They're called Manangagal, I think.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Running water, Christian symbols, holy ground, beheading, dismemberment, silver, being buried face down and holy water.
:iconxfoxfirex:
xfoxfirex Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not sure if this goes here but I hear their halfling counterparts (dhampiers) have additive personalities and can be very broody and suicidal.
:iconxfoxfirex:
xfoxfirex Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Addictive* like....for drugs and beer and sex. lol
:iconterrytatcher:
TerryTatcher Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Crosses repel vampires. As does holy water. Of course... this is a Catholic thing, if I remember right... Taking a religious route, look into other cultures and religions about things said to repel demons or monsters. Another thing I heard of was salt and silver. Though that may be confused with werewolves and ghosts.
:iconalicexofxdarkland:
AliceXofXdarkland Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
not sure if you know, or if it's already been mentioned, but there's one about them not being able to cross running water. i can't remember the logic behind it though. it was a long time ago that i heard it and it's probably been used for other creatures too. also theirs one about them changing into cats with two tales or children born on christmas day, so maybe you could come up with something connected to that.

other than that theirs the bit more common dead mans blood.
:iconscurron:
Scurron Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Vampires or any undead can't enter a building through the door if it isn't given permission by the owner :la:
:iconsaykha:
saykha Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Writer
The only other ones I can think of is:
- They're afraid of crosses
- Holy water will burn them
- aaaaaaand, yeah, that's all I can think of right about now.
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
inability to read some random human girl's mind
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012   Digital Artist
HAH!! Good one. XD
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:dummy: thanks
:iconshininginthedarkness:
There was an old one that kind of pre-dates the 'modern' (Bram Stoker) vampires, so it kind of went more for witches and revenants and anything like that, but it went that you scattered something small like seeds or salt outside your door, and the creature would be forced to stop and count them, and thus wouldn't be able to enter the house and cause any mischief. Undead/evil creatures were also supposed to have a weakness to iron.

Shit, someone took my seeds one.
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Traditionally, vampires have no reflection so they have an aversion to mirrors or glass, also some can't cross running water apparently it has something to do with their connection to the earth as may or may not be a source of their supernatural power. Raw iron is possible to harm them. Stake to the heart may depend on the type of wood being used in European and North American folklore. Also in some cases they suffer from arithnomania or the compulsion/obsession for counting objects around them. (Barber: 'Vampires, Burial and Death')
:iconrustoxides:
RustOxides Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Its not real a 'Vampire' weakness, but many tribes, cultures and historic society's used to bury dead people in odd ways.

Severing the head
Jamming a silver coin or stone into the corpses jaws
Burning the remains
burying the body with grains of sand/ rice, to do with the counting weakness
Piercing the heart with iron,wood or silver stake ( I know you said no stakes but this is sort of to do before becoming a vampire)
Putting the body vertically, face down or facing a religious building or statue when buried.
Buried with different plants

You could try and warp one of these to make your own Vampire weakness if you wished :)
:iconophillia:
Ophillia Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
The most interesting one I ever read was something about placing a rock in a sock and swinging it in circles over your head, it supposedly wards vampires away from you. XD
Hopefully that's helpful, though I think you could do just as well to make something up on your own.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This is a bizarre one, but I've read it on more than one website about vampires. Apparently, they love to count things (which is where Sesame Street got the idea for The Count). If you spill a bowl of seeds in front of a vampire, he can't resist counting them all, and you'll have time to run.
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012   Digital Artist
Haha, yes I've heard of that one. :3
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
They can't cross running water.

Sunlight could come from other sources than the direct sun.

Crusnicks [link]

silver

anything holy.

Inviting them in could be used as a plot device to trap them.

A creative combination of these things.
:iconphotosynthetichuman:
photosynthetichuman Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I remember reading somewhere about a Vampire invited inside a house filled with spilled marbles, gave them plenty of time to figure out how to kill it.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If you invite them inside a house and then build different houses in every direction from it while they're inside, they're trapped.
:iconphotosynthetichuman:
photosynthetichuman Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Ooo, but then they can destroy the house.
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The Blisterwood Tree.
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012   Digital Artist
What's that?
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
From this game. [link]

;)

Hope it gives you some ideas.
:iconfubatsu-enkou:
Fubatsu-Enkou Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am bursting here, so I won't read all the other posts to see if it's already been written. Pebbles, broom straws etc, can all be vampire weaknesses. the lore goes that if you lay these in your doorway the vampire MUST stop and count every pebble/straw, if you keep him busy enough until dawn he/she must flee.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
losing limbs\teeth
:iconavianex:
AvianEx Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Have you got Angels in your book? If so, Angel Blood burns vampires and most monsters in my book :)
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012   Digital Artist
No, I'm trying to stay away from religious figures with this story. Still, I didn't know that. Wow. :o
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Purifying salt is used to ward off all kinds of bumpities and spookables. Just make sure you make a circle out of it. An ellipse or oval won't work.

I've hear some vamps are afraid of whips...

And pretty much any weapon dipped or cooled in holy water and blessed is pretty lethal just to touch.
:iconxanthemann:
xanthemann Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Well, if holy water does them bad, what would holy blood do? By the way, stakes do not kill them, it just holds them in place so you can cut off their head and stuff the mouth with garlic. Other than that sunlight is the only true method to kill them. As for stopping them or holding them at bay, Bibles, crosses, pure faith, running water (not sure about that one but I do remember hearing something about that), not inviting them in your home, if you kill the vampire that turned others you free the ones it created, Cain is supposedly the first vampire (possibly second only to Lilith the first wife of Adam or of the first Adam) and if you feel like a little stretch Doctor Strange knows some spells to deal with them (but it seems to me a cleric or priest would know better or even an exorcist) and Blade.
Those are for the classic vampires, but there are a great number of other breeds that require different methods; especially the Asian vampires.
:iconfranklinstudios:
FranklinStudios Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Mahogany and cheese
:iconfranklinstudios:
FranklinStudios Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Mahogany and cheese
:iconprideofpanem:
PrideofPanem Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Holly leaves and Branches! Also stealing their left sock, and apparently they also have a compulsion to untie knots. Also an interesting one that they used in the original Dracula was that he needed some of the soil that he was originally buried in.
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Writer
vampires are fake. make something up.
:iconikkapikkabooh:
IkkaPikkaBooh Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I have this wonderful site with lots and lots of information about vampires from around the world, but sadly it's in swedish.
If you know swedish you can find the page here -> [link]

The following is some of the lesser known (or just interesting) facts and myths about vampires :3

Some old Romanian myths say that you have to cut out a vampire's heart and split it in two. They also say that if you tied wild roses around the coffin the vampire couldn't leave it and would starve to death. The same thing happened if
you placed bowls of incense in the shape of a cross at the head, feet and shoulders of the vampire. If you turned it upside down in the coffin it would be unable to get out too ;P
If you met a vampire from Crete you could cut of it's head and boil it in vinegar to kill it, and Prussian vampires didn't like poppy seeds. Chinese vampires are killed by Mi-Rin sake, and Indian vampires by watter from the Ganges.

Pretty much any religious symbol reppels them; the cross, the Star of David, Yin-Yan.
There are several plants wich repell them as well, such as garlic, holly, rowan, wolfsbane and lotus.

In Japan you can keep the vampires out with a bowl of cooked rice or raw fish. And chinese vampires will get confused (so you can escape) if you tell them three lies in a row.

In Poland they had a verry special protection against vampires. When a vampire was slain, they collected the blood, baked some bread with it and everyone who ate the bread would forever be protected ;3

Hope there's something usefull :3
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
If you want to write vampires from a specific tradition of strengths and weakness, I would suggest reading a compilation of the folklore like the one by Baring-Gould
:iconthemarcher:
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
They are easy to find because when they want to seem incognito they spell thier name backwards. (from Terry Pratchett) They are extremely neat and neurotic, so you can hide a sock and they will go around looking for it for hours. (also Terry Pratchett.
:iconslimt:
SlimT Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
pretty much every weakness is commonly known..vampires are a thing at the moment
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist
As a serious reply, you may be just as well off coming up with your own, original twist. I'm not sure what your aims are, but if you're looking for lesser known qualities, chances are they'll be unknown to your readers as well. In that case, most of them couldn't tell between your own idea and the lesser known, already existing idea.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Daylight → common
Stake → common
Garlic → common
Crucifix → unless a big-ass cross in a temple hits the bastard, it'll be only a scorchmark
Holy water → less common, used in Quentin Tarantino's movie "From Dusk Till Dawn" as a powerful corrodent
Silver → that's usually for werewolves, so it might come off as a dilettant's error
Fire → uncommon, and unless it's some sort of holy fire, it most likely won't do lethal harm to him

Consider the original idea of vampires: they are undead creatures who have a deal with a demon (or the devil himself) so that they can exist eternally on the blood of the living. It might be worth considering the idea of breaking the contract by a third party, e.g. by exorcising the demon from the human realm, or by hindering the fulfilment of a mandatory condition, such as regular rituals or a single rite that must be committed at a certain date and time.
:iconwwhulk12:
wwhulk12 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I never got the specifics of the stake. Why does it have to be a stake? Wouldn't any sharp object work just the same.
:iconalicexofxdarkland:
AliceXofXdarkland Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
way back when it used to be some kind of specific wood that had to be. like a lot of things it got simplified over time.
Add a Comment: