Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 54

Writing assistance wanted <3

:iconcourtneyvillain:
CourtneyVillain Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
Well I'm new to poetry... I read a lot but I'd like to write more as well the ones I have written don't feel that good to me. Soooo I'd like someone to help me become a better poet and writer for both my classes and as a hobby.

A friend said I should include the fact that I'm abit young and stuff on this site to avoid like awkward situations and such o.0 soooo yea (his words not mine lol)

Anywaysss hope someone replies and can assist me please and thank you. <3

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lock: OP request.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
To be a poet one must live.
CourtneyVillain Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Dreadfully corny <.<
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm no critic or expert, but I know a thing or two. The things I put on DA aren't my best, but if you check out what I write and you think that I may have anything to offer you, I'm totally willing to help you out with whatever you need.
CourtneyVillain Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Not sure why but you're comment sounded perverted ._. Just putting it out there

And I got what I needed O: I thought the admin lady closed this thread
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Haha okay.
:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If you wish, you can send what you need help with to me by Notes. I am willing to help out with any concerns on writing.
:iconitzala:
Itzala Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
If you want to get better you should read up on poetic meter and rhythm and syntax etc.. Say poems out loud and see how they sound and how it feels to say them. Also, I would advise working on writing poems in very strict forms. Not because they're better or more artistic or anything like that, but because they force you to understand how language flows and how stressed and unstressed syllables feel and sound. Also, it will help your vocabulary and grammar. You have to find words to fit into the form and organize them so it sounds good but still fits the rules. After you've become proficient at all that, you'll have a better understanding of how words and syllables effect the flow of a poem.

A lot of inexperienced poets like to write in free verse because it seems easier and more modern/artistic to them. They typically end up writing very bad poetry. People who write good free verse typically have and extremely good understanding of how their words will flow when they're read or spoken. This comes from practice and study. I use free verse as an example, but it applies to any form. Above you said that you like to write haikus. This is also a common early form, because they seem exotic and fancy and they're short. Even if you only ever want to write haikus, I'd advise you to experiment with reading and writing a wide range of forms. It will give you a feel for how those forms effect the poem and when you want a certain effect, you'll be better able to create it.

I'd also advise practicing by writing poems with little or no emotional depth. Narrative poems are good for this. It can even be a pointless narrative or simply a poetic version of a pre-existing story. It allows you to focus only on the words. Often people have a problem separating the personal emotional meaning of the poem from the quality of the poem. They look at their poems and think about the great meaning or emotion they were trying to convey, when if it lacked that connection, they might realize that it simply isn't very good. I'm not saying all your poems are like this, but everyone writes shit sometimes.

It probably sounds like I'm downplaying the artistic and emotional nature of poetry, and I am to an extent. Everyone wants to jump right into great emotional poems, but if you want them to be any good, you have to be technically proficient first. Contrary to popular belief, raw emotion doesn't make good writing; it often makes for very bad writing that doesn't make much sense.

I hope I helped
CourtneyVillain Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
I get what you're saying and I'm trying to put more rules in it and ye I hate free verse because I suck at it lol it sounds like crap whn I read em more like a story than a poem so I've been adding syllabic rules and such the one I'm working on now will b abit better just having a tough time finding the rhymes while staying with the syllabic meter of 5 7 5 @_@ gonna do it in rhythm like A B A so far I have one stanza done tough finding rhymes with syllable limits lol

And ye I don't care for emotional poems right off the bat its a lot harder finding then right words to em within a structure and will just sound like crap in free verse so right now I'm writing about what I truly enjoy . . . Games lol check out my new one Capital Wastleland its not perfect but its my best one in my opinion the other 3 suck they were free verse and they were my 1st ones figured I'd keep em to show my improvement
:iconitzala:
Itzala Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
When I say rhythm I don't mean the rhyme scheme so much as the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables. This is a problem that I could see with writing haiku's in English. Because the form was developed in a language so different from English, it doesn't really deal with stressed and unstressed syllables in the same way that a traditional English language form would. Also, rather than just rhyming you should practice with consonance, assonance, alliteration, etc. There are many devices which poets use to effect the way words are read and spoken. It's good to practice using them all.
Add a Comment: