Closed to new replies
October 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 277

why should i notice you?

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm tossing out the chance for you all to justify why I should go take a look at your page and maybe even leave a comment (as soon as I get back on a computer, anyway) or, alternatively, to vent about how writers should or shouldn't get themselves out there.

Anyway, I hate the self entitled attitude that says just because you did something you deserve attention. But at the same time, you have to be your own best salesman. So we should be encouraging some aspects of this...but how?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneomerlin:
neomerlin Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Writer
Because I am an interesting and friendly guy and over the many years on dA my activity has become less and less about "I wrote this, look! Look!" and more on chronicling what it means to be a writer and the experiences I've had and the lessons I've learned, all in an attempt to make sense of this passion so many people share and to, hopefully, highlight the path to greatness so we can all be better writers and better people. It's as beneficial for others as for me.

Also, I'm loud and opinionated and if it's good enough to get Fox News viewers, it's good enough for me!

As for the second part of your post - The way to be your own best salesmen, for creators is, I think, is to meet people and interact with people and to be humble and friendly. Be enticing and sell your work but be honest, too. People are just as often fans of creators as of creations.
:icondannihutch:
DanniHutch Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Because I want to improve as a writer and poet and in order to do that I need people like you to read it :)
:icononceuponanight23:
OnceUponANight23 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Because... you would make me happy. I would love to get some advice on how to improve, and I'd love it if more people would see my art :)
:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If my artwork is good enough, it will get noticed by others.
When you think about it though, usually when it comes to works that get noticed a lot, people who comment on it usually become of one mind. I mean, sometimes, you get stuff that is just like "meh, could be better" but then some people think it's great and so on and so forth. Eventually, you don't get constructive criticism or proper feedback because everyone is just going "ooohhhh that's so cool" and they don't look harder. So what's the point of it all?
:iconwaiting-for-wings:
waiting-for-wings Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
because all of my written works come straight from the heart, they are pure emotion based and tell a story in a minimal amount of words :)
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
'Coz I walked through fire and did not get burned.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I would've said that it's because your username is always halfway there, with the word "matters" in it...
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
I like to think the whole Matters part refers to physical matter and the like... otherwise it's just too fucking pompous :P
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
ohhh hahaha I see it now :)
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Holy fuck guys, thanks for the responses. I'ma start actually picking through these now that I'm back in town, you're also invited to do so. And yes, if you said I shouldn't visit you, I won't.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Writer
Because I watched Mr. Rogers growing up. :iconbilloreillyplz:
:iconfenicksreborn:
fenicksreborn Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Writer
Because I'm cute! :giggle:
:iconle-kaikai:
Le-Kaikai Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I don't know why you should notice me. All I do know is that every time I come over and peek into the literature forum, this thread is always there, laughing at me. I kept telling myself I would not post on it.
But the voice in my head insisted. "Post in the thread! You know you want to~~~<3"
"No, Voice, I do not!"
But my resistance was in vain. Maddened by the voice, I finally decided to finally come to this thread and write something. Simply by typing up this inadequate response to your initial question, I already feel much better. Unfortunately, the nagging voice will not be silenced unless I submit it.

Now pardon me as I edit my inner editor to be doomed to an eternity of tripping up stairs.

On a side note, I have been using this thread to find other writers. So far it's been fairly useful, so I thank you for creating it. <3
:iconcait-cait93:
Cait-Cait93 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Why should we care if you visit our pages? Not to be a bitch, though I don't particularly care if I come off as one, but why should WE justify or explain to YOU? What makes YOUR opinion so important? I mean, if you visit a page that's great- maybe we'll get feedback or perhaps a new watcher. But if you don't, life goes on as normal. My page reflects my interests, and my personality. If that's interesting to you, then yippee go check it out. If not, oh well. I keep posting and improving either way.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You're #3 to ask this! My answer continues to be 'only if I'm in the demographic group you're attempting to target.'
Cait-Cait93 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Well my dear, you know what they say: 3rd time is the charm.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
But what's the thing we're trying to do? :O
Cait-Cait93 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I don't believe you have to actually do anything. But: I am asking the same question that you've now answered for a third time. Technically, doing something. As to the accomplishment of the act... I've no idea 8D Perhaps trying to stay people from asking the same thing repeatedly?
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:giggle: Fair enough.
:iconanunluckyartist:
AnUnluckyArtist Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You should read some of what I've written not only because I have confidence in myself, but I am confident you will not regret it in any way.

I honestly believe that if you were to read some of my works, you'd gain a new perspective. A perspective in which you could see the world in such a way that you would not be able to discern the normal from the extraordinary.
:iconsilverinkblot:
SilverInkblot Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I write things. You feature written things. It's perfect :lol:

But seriously, I've never been one for selling myself. I don't like braggarts and I don't want to be one (though there are people that can walk that fine line of honestly selling their work without being a Gaston about it, I so rarely run into them that I couldn't name a single name). If my writing is good, and I submit it to a few groups where it's sure to be seen, then things will work themselves out. If my writing isn't very good, then I find ways to make it better and seek out the people that can help me do that.

And if all else fails, comment like a motherfucker and make some damn friends. But only as a last resort =P
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I see your question, and a raise you a big, fat, "Why should I care?"
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Someone already pointed that out, and my response was something about 'only if I'm in your target demographic group' ;p
:iconneuroticlust:
NeuroticLust Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Why should you come to my page and leave a potentially snide comment upon not liking my poetry? No reason. Why should you offer me, a stranger, criticism of my artwork, my writing, something that I've considered part of my life for years now so that I may improve as an artist? No reason. Why would or SHOULD you grace my humble page with a page count and potentially leave a comment? No reason. Why would it be awesome if you knew what movie I was referencing?

No reason.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Is it...'Rubber'?
NeuroticLust Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Why, yes!
You win a million internets. ~
I haven't actually seen the movie, just heard that quote :shifty:
NeuroticLust Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student General Artist
It's a cool movie.
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012   Writer
Cause I'm your Roland Barthes-mate, aren't I?
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
This site is a privilege, not a right.
Everyone has the right to free speech.
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
All freedoms are limited.
By whom?
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yourself, who else?
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd go with 'delusions of fascism' for that one.
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Fascism is a limit on human life, not a limit of cruelty.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There can be no cruelty on the Internet.
(1 Reply)
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
Because

:la:

Stupid :la: smiley. You've become my answer for everything on this site.:iconsadtardplz:
:la:
:iconbeccajs:
BeccaJS Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Writer
Because I'm awesome.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:evileye:
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Filmographer
WE MIGHT GET A WHOLE COMMENT??! Golly Mrs. Cleaver, looks like Christmas came early!
All I've got left is coal.
:iconcarmalain7:
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
Nothing would warm my furnace heart more.
:lol:
:iconchristalkitto:
ChristalKitto Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The only reason you would want to come to mine would be if you want to understand me more. If you don't that is okay too since I write what I want. The good, the sad, and the scary. But if you do feel a pull you might come away with some new thought. Come or not has to be your choice, because if I beg, plead, cry, yell, order, bribe or pout for you to come to mine it would be partially forced and then your mind won't be open. :meditation:
:iconafterthenonsequitur:
AfterTheNonSequitur Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
Because I don't just write good stuff. I write damn good stuff. I work my butt off to do so. I've won several awards because of it.
Because explosions. Explosions. Everyone needs more pyrotechnics in their lives.

Plus, if you get in on my novel early, you have the right to claim that your part of that elite group who heard of me first. Hipster street cred, yo.

Alternatively, writers need to start coming out of their shells. I know it's part of the stereotype that we are isolated, loners, shy, awkward, and PROUD OF IT, but good lord people. Agents can't help you if you don't help yourself first.
I am completely guilty of this. I'm working on it.
Of course, it's getting more and more easy to live your entire life locked in your room with your laptop. Who needs people when you have self-publishing?
:slap: You can't self publish in a vacuum!

Also which awards did you get?
:iconafterthenonsequitur:
AfterTheNonSequitur Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
I won first place in the Writer's Digest Self-Published Book Awards contest in 2010. I've also won a few short story contests in my local community.

And my Creative Writing instructor (who's a good CW instuctor, not like some of the others that have been mentioned on this thread) thinks I'm the best writer in his class. Not that I'm bragging. But I totally am.
Whoa, awesome :highfive: you should be bragging on the first one!
Add a Comment: