Closed to new replies
September 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 1

GADSBY, the 1939 Novel Without an E, Returns on Columbus Day

:icondcjc:
dcjc Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hello, guys. Sorry I haven't been active here in many a week, but allow me tonight to tell you why:

I've spent much of this month so far (and a bit of late August) readying an Amazon Kindle version of Gadsby, a 1939 novel by Boston native Ernest Vincent Wright--almost to the point of obsession. Back in 1937, the work caused a sensation for its omission of "e"--the most common English letter--in its entire text. Sadly, what's left of the first edition (by Los Angeles' Wetzel Publishing) has become extremely rare; a warehouse fire consumed the remainder of its stock--and Wright's manuscript.

You can thank Guy Kawasaki on Google+--and the book's public-domain status--for giving me my first publishing opportunity. And that's only half the fun: with this new edition, you'll get to know Wright like no one has ever done before--in a biographical essay entitled Skipping Fifth. (Which I plan to serialise on this site soon.)

Fifth is not just about Wright and his small-town novel: it also concerns a similar endeavour made in the late 1960s by OULIPO's Georges Perec, titled La disparition. (In the early 1990s, Scottish writer Gilbert Adair translated it as A Void.)

If any of you have checked up on my #WhatLiesAground feed, you'll see I've devoted most of my recent posts towards the upcoming reissue. Only 13 days remain--I've got summaries to fill, a press release to refine, a home site to decorate, and a supplement to finish up on... Again, this is really hard work for a first-timer!

(You'll also notice a countdown timer for the launch, which I've just added on my "About Me" page.)

So on October 8, wish me luck as I bring back a lost treasure of American literature--experimental or otherwise. Cost: Just two dollars. (That's a lipogram--similar to what both authors had for concoctions. So was this last sentence.)

"So, as Sirius and Luna hold an all-night vigil, I'll say a soft 'Good-night' to all our happy bunch, and to John Gadsby—Youth's Champion."

FINIS

P.S. What do you think of my plans? Have anyone of you heard of Wright or his novel? And if you read it, how did you enjoy it? (For all that matters, it's available on Wikisource and elsewhere, too.)

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lock: This thread has been locked as it is more appropriate for your journal. Literature Forum Guidelines are here. FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?
Add a Comment: