Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
April 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68

Does anyone here have difficulty with Point of View?

:iconswiss-dilettante:
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I am not certain about what has actuated it, but I suddenly began wondering if anyone has trouble with the Point Of View of their stories. I usually stay away from first and second point of view (for some reason), and now I am wondering about my utilization of 3d person omniscient...

Anyway; do you ever feel you are having trouble sticking to one POV when writing? Do you ever wonder whether you are properly using your chosen POV?

BTW. I write things for free... :D (Is statubg that allowed?)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthedodobirdsong:
thedodobirdsong Featured By Owner May 14, 2012
I don't feel I have too much trouble sticking to one point of view when I'm writing--past-tense, present-tense things sure, lots of trouble, but point of view isn't too big a deal for me. I'm probably do not use the POV correctly half the time but it sometimes depends how the story is told. One of my story is mostly third-person but for a one or two sentences breaks the fourth wall to point out a little something to 'you'. Another of my story I have not bothered to write yet is supposed to be a jumbled mess of first person and third person POV--which will be kind of fun to write once I figured out the awesome villain.
:iconkioukjioy:
kioukjioy Featured By Owner May 7, 2012  Student General Artist
It depends on the story I'm writing. I personally prefer the third person, but sometimes when I write in the first person I'm worried about the fact that the character I've chosen cannot see or expirience all the events, which makes me turn to chapters written in the third person.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I believe I understand. Just have to pick the right POV for every story, I suppose. :)
:iconkioukjioy:
kioukjioy Featured By Owner May 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Well said. :D
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner May 6, 2012
No, as long as the point I've selected matches the purpose I have in mind.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Okay, I understand.
:iconspacelanderryo:
SpacelanderRyo Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Student General Artist
This is just some advice from an amateur, but: Imagine that you're imagining the story from the POV you want to be in rather than the one you aren't. Can you just imagine that you're imagining things? Nooo...
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Do you mean imagine that I am seeing everything from my chosen Point of View character's eyes? I try to do that sometimes. :)
:iconshishousama:
shishousama Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Oh heck yes.

I do try to keep in Third person limited as much as I can, though it's very very difficult.

Especially when my main character is more of an observant, passive character as a whole rather than the typical goal orientated protagonist.

I'd try third person omniscient but I find that extremely hard as the POV keeps changing from character to character and gets confusing very quickly.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Another poor soul must join me in my corner. :)

I've lately been trying to study this type of POV. Can't think of any master-writers, though.
Hm. Isn't there a term for such goal-orientated characters? ... Can't think of it. That does sound like it would make things a tad bit more difficult, though.

Yes, I know what you mean. Additionally, I've found that it puts more of a distance between the reader and characters. Well, I've noticed it from one book in such a POV I've read.
:iconshishousama:
shishousama Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Lol been looking for someone who writes that style well...no luck here either. Oh well I'll keep looking and pass the story on to you if I find one lol

There probably is a term, but I don't remember it xD

What book was it that you are referring to? You've got me curious now.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah... I would appreciate that, and I'd do the same!

Oh, me neither. It'll come to me one day.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It felt that way, to me, at least. I couldn't get attached to any of the characters--but maybe that is what he wanted.
:iconbiscuitdude:
BiscuitDude Featured By Owner Apr 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I try and tell stories from a 3rd Person Perspective as much as possible. I've tried my hand at a few 1st Person Perspectives, but never quite found them satisfying to read. Then again I haven't written from that perspective for a number of years now, so my opinion might change. I tend to choose a perspective and stick to it as best as possible, can't recall if I've drifted perspectives at times.

I know I have had instances where I take a character's personal perspective and add it into the story so then the reader can understand what these characters are feeling or thinking and that then the reader can feel like they better understand these characters motives and personalities sooner than the other characters in the story. Could be victim to this problem, but I don't think I suffer from it. Tenses though I know for a fact I constantly am screwing up! :P

If I wanted to portray a "personal" story where I want the reader to feel more involved then I'd use 1st Person. Heck, all this typing makes me want to write something now :).
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's the same with me, though I have written a story in 1st person just recently. I don't know whether I did it properly, though.

Isn't that good for a story? Character voice? It would be interesting to know whether this is something looked down upon. Oh, the tenses! I always try to stick to the past tense as much as possible.

Naturally. I think that is what First-Person is best for. ~bows~ I'm glad to be of service. XD
:icondionaya:
Dionaya Featured By Owner Apr 22, 2012  Student General Artist
I switch points of view constantly. I like utilizing third-person limited, so that readers get a glimpse of the circumstances of a number of individual characters, and leave them to piece together the big picture on their own.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Well, that would be third person omniscient selective, or simply third person omniscient, wouldn't it? I think I would like to do the same. :)
:iconalwayshoping:
AlwaysHoping Featured By Owner Apr 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem! I find it hard to stick to one POV, because things sound good to me when i write it, but i then reread it and see that i have strayed to a few different povs!
It's funny how difficult it can be. :)
:iconiluzia:
iluzia Featured By Owner Apr 22, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Oh god yes, it always bugs me.
:iconhinotechi:
Hinotechi Featured By Owner Apr 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I usually choose between first and third person, I've written twice in first person simply because it was suitable to the occasion, other stories I've written in third because I wanted to switch perspectives so it was more suitable for that story. I really do think it depends on the story and how you want it to come across, if you write in first person you're pretty much in someone's head.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yes. What kind of third person do you usually use? :)
"He", "She" or quite plainly their name (but that would be he or she). I do however tend to follow one person and their surroundings.
So, you usually utilize third person singular or limited (I think)? I need to do that more often. :D
Usually when I choose third person it's because I don't want anyone to read it from inside his/her head, but also because I want to use other characters later on. Also because the story just needs to be told in that matter.
I understand. :)
Hinotechi Featured By Owner Apr 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:highfive:
:iconme-jones:
ME-Jones Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2012  Student Writer
For me, it depends on the POV. I tend to favor first person, because this allows me to fully enter the mind of my character, something I've enjoyed highly. Also, because we "live in first person", it's easier for me to write. All of my teachers who have read my work say I use it correctly.

I've never written in second and I totally refuse to.

Third person limited is very hard for me, because I don't know how much to limit myself. I know I use that incorrectly most of the times I've used it.

Third person omniscient is, for me, easier then third limited, but harder then first. I use it (and I like to believe correctly) for certain parts of my stories; namely prologues since I use those to show "back in time" events that are important to the main plot, but does not necessary include the main protag from the book.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
What you say makes sense. I think that entering one's character's mind completely is probably the best thing about first person POV (although there are many things to like about it). I myself don't use it often, but had just started a story the day before yesterday, using this particular POV.

Everyone seems to hate this POV. I never want to use it either.

I have the same insecurities. I guess we just have to ONLY know what the POV character knows/sees.

I think I would use it the same way (although I would like to become a master of it, eventually).
ME-Jones Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012  Student Writer
It is. It's also a lot of fun, because my characters are so different from myself and each other :D

I've read a few books in this POV. They annoyed me.

But see, that's hard for me. I always find myself slipping between this and the fourth one. And I tend to mind jump, which I myself hate doing.

I'm sure if you write in this style enough, you will. :)
Yes, that is true. Sometimes, though, it can be difficult -- especially if you are in the POV of a character who sees justice in the punishment of the innocent. Or something like that.

Well, I liked the Goosebumps books like that, but generally I don't care much for Second Person POV.

I have never really tried it, so I don't know whether I would have problems with it. Wouldn't it be similar to First Person POV, though, except with pronouns such as "I," "me," and "we" be replaced with "he/she," and "they," and such? If it is so, it shouldn't be too hard.

Yep, practice makes perfect -- for everyone, (of course). :D
That is hard. I can't count how many times I've snapped at my mom when I was in the mind set of one of my really bad characters... haha.

I didn't really like Goosebumps at all.

The pronoun switch is what throws me off. Because I feel like I should be showing ALL the characters...

:)
Hahaha. Hope she didn't get angry at you in return!

They are a part of my childhood, so I can't help but like them.

Well, practice makes... XD
She did the first few times, before she understood what my best friend likes to call the "curse of the writer".

Right. That's like me and Harry Potter :)

I know, I know, haha
:lol: That is a funny thing to call it.

Harry Potter is probably a part of a lot of peoples' childhood's.

:D
(1 Reply)
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2012   Writer
this has helped me a lot: [link]
her tutorials are amazing.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Wow -- thank you! :)
This will help a lot.
awesome! :w00t:
:) You know? I just realized who you are! I have been considering writing something for your four prompts. Thanks again!
you are more than welcome to join at any time :-)
I probably will, Sir/Ma'am -- eventually. :D
i'll be here. you are welcome to put me on watch for the time being, as well. no obligation.
Hmm... I thought I already had watched you... Corrected! :)
(1 Reply)
:iconresterian:
Resterian Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I can only write in 1st person, at first I didn't know why but then I found I prefer to embody my characters as I write.

I once tried to write in 3rd person, within 3 paragraphs I was back to first person.

Besides, I always find 1st person flows better when I read ;-)
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hmm... Yep, to each their own. :)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Nah, I just pick one and stick with it. I can't tell you how I decide which to use. My main series uses 1st person almost exclusively, but I use 3rd person limited elsewhere. Either has its challenges and limitations as well as advantages. I have not yet found a use for 3rd person omniscient apart from brief prologues and such that will never see the light of day.

I don't recommend 2nd person be used at all outside of a "choose-your-own-adventure" story. I find it offensive.
It is true what you say. I couldn't tell you how I choose it either. :)

:lol: Yeah, it is often offensive. I don't know why, but I suddenly thought of Lonely Island's "Threw it on the Ground." :D
:icondayandevarlo:
DayanDeVarlo Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012
I never do omni, it feels really awkward and I don't like it :grump:
Point of view usually comes naturally to me, I start writing a story and I know instantly which POV I want and I can very much stick to it troughout the story and keep it consistent. It also depends on the theme and genre, I don't write action-centered stories in first person for example.
Sorry if I don't make much sense. My english is... weird.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I am starting to feel the same way...
Good for you. :) Sadly, it doesn't seem to be so for me. Practice makes perfect, though. Right?
That makes sense. It would be painful. XD
Don't worry; I understand you fine.
:iconsilvicultrix:
silvicultrix Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Student Writer
Oh, I don't know. I don't think POV has to be perfect to be used efficiently-- it's just that POV switches have to be used judiciously, consciously, and to derive a certain effect. :shrug: In one of the latest short stories I wrote ( [link] ) I switch tense from past to present, and then from 3rd limited omniscient to 2nd-- it's done to suggest the narrator's confusion about the boundaries of his own psyche. John McGahern does something similar in his novel The Dark (and much, much better than I can).
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Ah, I see what you mean. I like your story very much. It really is interesting the way you switched the Point of Views, and the tense. It sounds like I should read that book... :)
Add a Comment: