Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
April 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68

Does anyone here have difficulty with Point of View?

:iconswiss-dilettante:
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I am not certain about what has actuated it, but I suddenly began wondering if anyone has trouble with the Point Of View of their stories. I usually stay away from first and second point of view (for some reason), and now I am wondering about my utilization of 3d person omniscient...

Anyway; do you ever feel you are having trouble sticking to one POV when writing? Do you ever wonder whether you are properly using your chosen POV?

BTW. I write things for free... :D (Is statubg that allowed?)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthedodobirdsong:
thedodobirdsong Featured By Owner May 14, 2012
I don't feel I have too much trouble sticking to one point of view when I'm writing--past-tense, present-tense things sure, lots of trouble, but point of view isn't too big a deal for me. I'm probably do not use the POV correctly half the time but it sometimes depends how the story is told. One of my story is mostly third-person but for a one or two sentences breaks the fourth wall to point out a little something to 'you'. Another of my story I have not bothered to write yet is supposed to be a jumbled mess of first person and third person POV--which will be kind of fun to write once I figured out the awesome villain.
:iconkioukjioy:
kioukjioy Featured By Owner May 7, 2012  Student General Artist
It depends on the story I'm writing. I personally prefer the third person, but sometimes when I write in the first person I'm worried about the fact that the character I've chosen cannot see or expirience all the events, which makes me turn to chapters written in the third person.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I believe I understand. Just have to pick the right POV for every story, I suppose. :)
:iconkioukjioy:
kioukjioy Featured By Owner May 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Well said. :D
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No, as long as the point I've selected matches the purpose I have in mind.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Okay, I understand.
:iconspacelanderryo:
SpacelanderRyo Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Student General Artist
This is just some advice from an amateur, but: Imagine that you're imagining the story from the POV you want to be in rather than the one you aren't. Can you just imagine that you're imagining things? Nooo...
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Do you mean imagine that I am seeing everything from my chosen Point of View character's eyes? I try to do that sometimes. :)
:iconshishousama:
shishousama Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Oh heck yes.

I do try to keep in Third person limited as much as I can, though it's very very difficult.

Especially when my main character is more of an observant, passive character as a whole rather than the typical goal orientated protagonist.

I'd try third person omniscient but I find that extremely hard as the POV keeps changing from character to character and gets confusing very quickly.
Swiss-Dilettante Featured By Owner May 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Another poor soul must join me in my corner. :)

I've lately been trying to study this type of POV. Can't think of any master-writers, though.
Hm. Isn't there a term for such goal-orientated characters? ... Can't think of it. That does sound like it would make things a tad bit more difficult, though.

Yes, I know what you mean. Additionally, I've found that it puts more of a distance between the reader and characters. Well, I've noticed it from one book in such a POV I've read.
Add a Comment: