Closed to new replies
March 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 71

Do you judge previews?

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you post a preview, I expect it to be on par with the quality of the story. Or to have some kind of relationship to the story that adds.

Also...use your own art? Or is it appropriate to post the inspiring image?

Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts were. I'm basically judging the hell out of everyone who draws their own previews, but is not very experienced at it :iconwoooplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhinotechi:
Hinotechi Featured By Owner Apr 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I do my own previews for my story, partially because I need to practice and it's a great source. I don't judge the text before hand because that's pretty much impossible and unfair ^^ but if the picture is taken from someone else a credit should at least be distributed and the artist should be notified. A deviant I know uses her own commissions as previews and she's entitled to because she paid for them and I don't really mind.
So all in all, I don't really judge the story on the preview but it should be on par
neurotype Featured By Owner Apr 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Mm--based on copyright, you can't use an image unless you've commissioned it or if the artist has given permission :shrug:
:iconhinotechi:
Hinotechi Featured By Owner Apr 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
exactly!
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Apr 13, 2012   Writer
i won't read stories that hide behind a preview. i want to see the scrolling text. i want to read that first sentence. i used to have previews in my stories but that was before the scrolling text element was added to lit.
yeah...have you ever had opening sentences that are really not indicative of what it's about, though?
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Apr 13, 2012   Writer
i don't notice things like that. all i want is to be hooked like a salmon.
Fair enough ;p ...I've gotten into the habit of looking at at least part of the middle these days, though, a lot of people spend more time on the intro and it causes unrealistic expectations.
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Apr 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
At first I did, but now I don't. Some times I want to provide line counts for long poems or all chapters in one place for long stories, so I'll upload a simultaneous .pdf version of something, at which point I don't have a choice but to use a preview thumb. :grump:

When I have to go that route, it's crappy, since I'm extremely amateurish at visual art. Observe - the regular (looong) narrative poem without preview and its .pdf counterpart with awful attention-whoring preview (be glad I was too lazy to upsize it):

Sigelf and the Bear Off beyond the mountain peaks
Fled the setting sun
Painted clouds with amber streaks–
Evening had begun

Sigelf saw the path before him
Leading out of town
Rising to the mountain rim
Where the sun went down

Steep and narrow was the trail
It killed the ill-prepared
Sigelf worried he may fail
And shuddered as he stared

No, he did not like the thought–
It gave quite a fright
A raging beast there must be fought!
And he disliked heights!

But he must!  He must be brave!
All men were away–
Only his young hands could save
The town from being prey

He closed his eyes and grabbed his sword
He tried to calm hi

The preview above is my default for poetry, but I've tried to do preview images appropriate to my stories like zombies, easter bunnies and vikings in space (and their nordic cross insignia):

So I put SOME effort into preview images, but not much. I really like the previews *magdalagarza and =LadyofGaerdon have done, and I may put actual effort into designing a reusable template like those, because dayumn they look nice!
:iconhavetales-willtell:
HaveTales-WillTell Featured By Owner Apr 12, 2012  Professional Writer
:bucktooth: I used to use previews, themed to match my avatar and my lit tag: they'd say 'Poetry by' or 'Flash fiction by' or whatnot.

Great for distinguishing one's work in a sea of lit thumbs; not so much, when somebody came stopping by my gallery looking for a specific piece. :dummy:

So a few months ago, I discontinued the practice. With rare exceptions (such as my Free Fella entry, which didn't have a lit thumb anyway) WYSIWYG.
neurotype Featured By Owner Apr 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oooh, fancy :B

Hmm, that's an interesting tradeoff to consider. I'm satisfied with the lit tag, personally.
Add a Comment: