Closed to new replies
October 24, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 1

Lady Macbeth and Robert Browning - The Laboratory Comparison H.E.L.P

:iconpepemyhorsey:
Pepemyhorsey Featured By Owner Oct 24, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay, so I have an English essay comparing Lady M and Lady 'L' if you like...
I'm kind of stuck. It all about voice and rubbish like that. Heres the first few paragraphs I have managed to complete.
Would someone please tell me what they think? I need criticism, constructive please - remember this is for an exam [GCSEs], so any help is appreciated. :D

' Every author or playwright has a distinct ‘voice’; how they apply their words through expression and the use of language. This is how we [the audience or reader], can tell the difference between Lady Macbeth’s personality and ambitions, and the woman in the Laboratory’s. Robert Browning has chosen the medium of poem, and Shakespeare is a playwright. Although very different forms of literature, both writers manage to convey solid characters through their own methods. For instance, Lady Macbeth is strong willed; an example of this is when she persuades her husband to kill King Duncan, and when he hesitates at the thought, she says ‘…we’ll not fail!’ This gives Macbeth the assurance he needs to go on, showing he also respects his wife and trusts her judgement, or that he is slightly scared of her – she is a formidable character, ‘…infirm of purpose…’. We can also say the lady in the Laboratory is also exceptionally motivated, wanting to kill her lovers new girlfriend, ‘…say ‘no!’, to that pulses… come-and-go’. She is also an intimidating character, ‘…quick – is it finished?’

We can see that Lady Macbeth and the woman in the Laboratory are very similar people, but with dissimilar situations – the Laboratory lady isn’t striving to be Queen and Lady Macbeth does not want to kill Macbeth. However, they both don’t mind killing other people ‘…should drop dead…’, and are both driven by love and determination ‘…screw your courage to the sticking place...’. To add to this, they are both dangerously jealous of other people – King Duncan for Lady Macbeth, as she wants to be Queen and Macbeth King, and the girlfriend of the woman in the Laboratory’s lover, as she wants to be with him and not her.

When we, as the audience/reader, first meet Lady Macbeth she is reading a letter sent to her, from Macbeth. The letter is about Macbeths meeting with the three ‘…weird sisters…’, [or the witches, as they are later known as]. He goes on to tell her about their prophecies they spoke about i.e. becoming the Thane of Cawdor and King, ‘…hail King that shalt be!’ As this is the first scene we see Lady Macbeth in, we can conjure our first impressions from this. We see that she believes herself higher than her husband, ‘…art not without ambition, but with illness should attend…’, this means she knows he has ambition, but he isn’t ruthless enough to get what he wants, but we also know that she would happily kill, ‘… shalt be what thou art promised…’. She goes on to say ‘…unsex me here…’, meaning she needs to be heartless and lose her humanity to commit the murder of Duncan, as the plan is forming in her brain. She needs to become more ‘masculine’, and more cold-blooded than Macbeth.'

[C] = Pepemyhorsey@DeviantArt.com

Thanks guys. <3

Devious Comments

:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Oct 24, 2011   Writer
:lock:

Hi there

The forum isn't really here to help you do your homework. We have a literature critique thread if you want to use that to post in (stickied at the top), but this is really more suited for your personal journal :)

Thank you
Add a Comment: