Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
October 27, 2015
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

How to be a Professional Deviant artist?

:icondinoloverxx:
dinoloverXX Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
Hello peeps. I'm a hobbyist artist who would love to do my artwork as a professional career, however, I am clueless as to how to go about this. 

So does anyone have an tips that could help me onto the road of artist success?

Cheers. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbitsyart:
bitsyart Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi^^ If you are looking to become a children's book artist, I have just made this journal with some helpful tips: 

bitsyart.deviantart.com/journa…

(most of the advice also applies for other kinds of books)
dinoloverXX Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you! :D (Big Grin) Hug 
:iconbitsyart:
bitsyart Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You are very welcome^^ Hope it helps a bit
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2015
First you need to decide how you want to be a professional artist.

If you want to do freelance traditional illustration, the path will be different than if you want to sell fine oil paintings in galleries, which will have a different path than if you want to make stained glass for a living, which will have a different path than if you want to work at an animation studio.
dinoloverXX Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the advice :)
:iconricod-da:
RicoD-DA Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2015  Professional Digital Artist
What kind of work do you want to do? Then find out what kind of businesses buy that kind of work and from whom. Look at the type of work and quality level you need to have by looking at others already doing that kind of work. If you're on par, find out how to get on the radar of those businesses who are buying, go there and get your work seen. Find out who makes the buying decisions. Often, that's art directors and / or art outsourcing producers for the mid-sized and larger companies, whoever's in charge of art for smaller ones. Try and get on their radar with the quality of your work in a strong portfolio. Online and real life events are ideal for that I hear. 

Depending on the field, there may be great resources available where art directors tell exactly what it is they're looking for. For instance: dearartdirector.tumblr.com/, the Muddy Colors blog, Jon Schindehette's The Art Order, etc. 
dinoloverXX Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
Cool, thanks for the advice. :D (Big Grin) 
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2015  Student General Artist
Having a portfolio ready and making yourself clear what you want to do. Upload it to a website that everyone can see. Don't just upload it to DA as not every professional in the business is turned on by the DA website. And above all, talking around to people you know. Going to cons, or find a local art group in your area. 

Also making sure you are good at what you do as working in any talent based career is highly competative.

Alot of people are not recommending going to the studios actually, because there are many new avenues to make a career out of art already. But your choices are freelancing, or working for a studio pretty much.

As for your drawings, your dinos are really good in drawing and inked. As a commission those are great. But if you want industry level and what Ive seen at my art schools and many arts, you gotta do loads better on your values and coloring. Compose more scenes then just concepts.  It gets a little muddy sometimes. Two people you can get inspired by are Terryl Whitlatch, and RJ Palmer.

As an added too, don't upload screenshots of TV shows on DA. Save those for lol websites like imagur, or Icanhazacheezeburger. Its also against Da's policy.
FAQ #578: What does DeviantArt consider to be a proper desktop screenshot?
Thanks for the advice. Thumbs Up 
:iconuchihajake:
uchihajake Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2015  Student Filmographer
Try to get a much exposure as possible, do quality work and share it where ever o can, the more people that se it the better its going to help you get a following, show that you are up for work and advertise yourself.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your advice :)
:icongaia-hawks:
Gaia-Hawks Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't know what tips I can give you, I am not good as you m8.
Thanks :D But yes, I am really clueless when it comes to a professional business. I'm tired of the usual run-of-the-mill jobs that everyone else does. My dream would b to do my artwork as a full-time career. I've thought about illustrating books, or writing a novel series, but that's as far as I have gotten. 
:icongaia-hawks:
Gaia-Hawks Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
I am fine doing my dragons draws and stuff like that, maybe you can write a story anout anything you like and then draw it. Idk is just my opinion.
Yes, I've thought about doing comic strips as well. :)
Add a Comment: