Closed to new replies
June 28, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Good Comic Font?

:iconkotite:
Kotite Featured By Owner Jun 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, as the title implies, I just finished a comic and since I tried doing the writing by hand last time (digitally) and it turned out like crap, I want to do it with an actual font this time. Problem is, I can't find anything that fits, I just don't know what to use. If you need an example of the kind of thing I'm doing look at this [link] that is the one with the crappy, hand-written text. Please if you have advice that would be great! I'm putting it in with photoshop elements, which sucks I know but SAI won't put in text.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwebcomicunderdogs:
WebcomicUnderdogs Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2013
I typically use Blambot, but their free fonts aren't nearly as good as the ones you have to pay for. There are a few other good resources listed here, as well as lettering tutorials: [link]
Kotite Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks!
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Jun 28, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Whatever you do, DON'T use Comic Sans. It's really just not good typography.

If you want a "comic book" kind of font, you could do a lot worse than to visit Blambot or Comicraft and poke around. I know Blambot has some pretty nice free fonts, I'm not sure if Comicraft does. Both of them see a lot of use in the mainstream comics industry.

Alternatively, you could spend some time thinking about the letterforms you draw as shapes, rather than letters - look at lettering you like, adopt a few letterforms into your hand, and think about your handwriting rather than just using the same scrawl you use everywhere. No less an artist than Moebius has spoken about the joy of comics where the lettering is clearly done by the same hand as the art.
ooh love the quote and like i said before i just need help with the style part of it, im terrible at aesthetics.
Go dig around on Blambot's free fonts, you have a good chance of finding something that'll work!

If you want to be an artist I think you're pretty much going to have to develop your aesthetic sense; that's a large part of what being an artist is about.
I just lack text aesthetic
1. Grab a bunch of free fonts.
2. Type some stuff.
3. Try a font. Does it look good? Does it look better than the last font you tried? Why or why not?
4. Repeat step 3.

Observe, consider, judge. Learn.
Kotite Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
alright!
(If you decide to take the "think about your lettering" route, be aware that Moebius' lettering has one major flaw: no leading between the lines makes it hard to read!)
leading between? i looked and i see its hard to read, but could you rephrase why?
Add a Comment: