Statistics

Replies: 104

Traditional Art Vs. Digital Art

:iconmcrafi:
mcrafi Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
How do you feel about traditional art?

How do you relate it to digital?

thoughts opinions comment ect....

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

mcrafi Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Your bring up great points.
thank you for your post :)
:iconhay2u:
hay2u Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
art is art is art! but you cannot beat traditional. not saying its better, but i mean, its how we've always done it.
Its where it all starts. Growing up we all where artist as we colors and our coloring books.
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I enjoy traditional more. I like spending time away from the computer and I love holding my different art supplies in my hand. Sometimes when thinking about the next step, I end up molding my kneaded eraser in my hand to the point it gets all warm and gooey :P Coloring is a scary process though since there is no "undo". But I feel it as a challenge. I've yet to try different types of watercolor background effects. Can't wait to try them out.

Digital art seemed intriguing at first but after toying around with it for a while, I found it somewhat tedious. Your attention is divided between the artistic process and the technical stuff. I also found it very awkward to stare at the computer screen while my hand was working on the tablet. Not to mention that starting at a blank screen hurts my eyes.
You touched on good points. There is just something about having your paper/canvas/ect with your brush/pen/maker in front of you and going at it :P
:iconschnitty:
Schnitty Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Hobbyist
Traditional art for me is easier. I feel I have more control over what I do.
I paint and experiment more with colors in digital, though. I just don't have a lot of money to keep buying a bunch of traditional art supplies.

So... I like both traditional and digital.
Its also alot of money for a tablet and programs ect. though to.
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Tablet, maybe, programs, not necessarily.
GIMP, MyPaint, and Inkscape are really nice art software, and they're free.
Schnitty Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist
Yeah, but how often is someone going to go out and buy a tablet and art programs? I've had my tablet for about five years, I haven't replaced it yet. And I'm not going to spend money on photoshop each time a new version comes out.
Well I know on my art supplies for painting its not hardly any money the paint i have iv had for over 5 years and it only cost like 50 bucks all together with the paint brushes included. As far as paper and canvas I only get it when its on sale...but with a tablet its like mad money at lest ones im looking to get and programs at a pop are a 100 more or less. Sure you dont have to keep getting the latest version but right there its alot of money. The main thing is space...omg the space all the traditional art stuff takes up. And then each piece of art there after is isnt much but add 100's of them it just is to much :(
:iconnearia91:
Nearia91 Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013
I think traditional can be MUCH more expensive. For my painting class so far - we're about 8 weeks in - I've spent about $75 on canvases, and probably about the same on paints/brushes. (and that is buying the cheaper "academic" level paint) I had a professor in the past who had one particular shade of purple that he treated like it was made out of gold, I think he said it was just over $80 for a 6 ounce tube. Likewise, last time I was in Micheals, I saw a tube of some blue oil paint that was about $50. If you're a hard-core painter and only use professional quality materials for any extended period of time, I think you can easily spend more than you would on a tablet/Photoshop/whatever program :) (Unless you upgrade your tablet/Photoshop with every version that comes out...)
mcrafi Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well painting class I never took any of those but I do know school supplies lists can be lengthy and $$$. All I know is I do nothing but paint/drawl and its not hardly any money. Granted im not going out and buying top notch things like fancy paint hug canvases real hair hand crafted brushes not prisma color pencil/makers. lol
Schnitty Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist
I think the only art store that sells what I'm looking for is Micheal's but even their sales are expensive. But I do get what you're saying. I got my tablet when my family was doing a lot better financially and only cost 50-70 bucks. It's a wacom Bamboo Fun. If I tried getting one of those now, there would be no way I could afford that. Also, I'll be honest, the version of photoshop I have is pirated. There is absolutely no way I could shell out four hundred something dollars for that program. Lol.
Oh man I already have a ton of sketchbooks and pencils and things and I don't really know where to put them anymore, haha. Space is such a huge issue.
If you're wanting a cheaper tablet I think the Wacom Bamboos are still pretty cheap. You can look into those?
Iv tried the cheap tablets personally and its just imposable to adjust to the not seeing what your drawling..the one I want has built in lcd display first of a kinda and WAY to much money.
Schnitty Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013  Hobbyist
It does take a little bit of time to get used to. The cintiqs right? Yeaaah. Those are so much, I want one of those too.
My computer runs Linux, so Adobe and Corel aren't happening just for compatibility issues alone, however I do have GIMP, MyPaint, and Inkscape, which are awesome free alternatives to Adobe and Corel, and available for Windows and Mac as well as Linux.
Schnitty Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013  Hobbyist
Ah.. I haven't tried Mypaint but Inkscape and GIMP are pretty good, yeah.
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
All three programs are available for free download, so it's never too late to try MyPaint.
And of the three free programs mentioned, my faves are definitely GIMP and MyPaint.
:icong-avoyan:
G-Avoyan Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
As for me i find traditional far more satisfying, but thats just for me. Actually both are cool, depends on personal choices...
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013
"I like mango juice and orange juice both."
:icondarkslyer7raven:
darkslyer7raven Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
traditional is really cool but with a beginner artist some times it is frustrating to fix things digital is easier but again traditional improves your work less confusing since u r using the tool and no brush options and stuff :D and it takes patience and detection :) such as oil painting

digital is on the faster side and more of speed work and impatience artists :) or some one who wants more out of what he does :)

for me i shift between both
i agree

thank you for your post
:icondarkslyer7raven:
darkslyer7raven Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
i just checked what i wrote i meant dedication :D
:iconelgrig:
Elgrig Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013
all of my arts are mixed with both,
I used traditional for the strokes and digital to colour
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013   Digital Artist
Most of my art is a mix of both. I just think they are different mediums, they're both art (And on this site, very similar types of art. Mostly characters, environments, scenes.)

I don't know why they have to "vs" each other. It's like "Oil Paint vs Watercolour Paint". Or why people think it is 'cheating'. Is using a rubber on your pencil work cheating?

Yes, it is easier to correct mistakes (rubbing out the face on a digital painting compared to painting over an oil painting) but you have to actually know what to correct and how to correct it and be able to correct it= basic art skills that are independent of medium. The computer doesn't do anything for you.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013
My sentiments exactly :#1:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013   Digital Artist
:w00t:
I didnt mean vs. like one comes out better then the other its just a short way to say pros and cons and ppls opinions on both. I myself would love to try mixing both traditional and digital im still stuck in the old fashion side of art. lol

thank you for your post btw
Ah, cool. :) Some people I've seen get really competitive about digital vs traditional, or say 'digital isn't real art'. =P
Nope lol not one of thoses ppl. Although it is aggravating because im stuck in the traditional world and others with tablets get all the attention and alot out there dont really have much going on you know?
Rovanna Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013   Digital Artist
Traditional definitely isn't overlooked on here. People on this site love realistic pencil art and watercolours for example. :D It's a matter of finding people who like your stuff and getting good at whatever medium you choose.
:iconcbdesignstudio:
cbdesignstudio Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
I conducted a little experiment. I have a child of 10 who is not an artist in fact he wants to be a scientist. I showed him two videos of 2 professional artist. One was a traditional artist and the other was a concept digital artist. After he watched both I asked him which one do you think takes more skill, the one who is painting and drawing on an easel and drawing board or the one sitting in front a computer with a tablet? He said the traditional artist. I don't think the child was biased because he seen me do both.
Rovanna Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013   Digital Artist
That's all well and good, but thats just one kid's opinion. Plus, how hard something looks is often different to how hard it is to do.

I don't think there's much point comparing which takes more 'skill'. I personally don't really care. Most digital artists don't do it because it's easy, they do it because it's the medium they want to use for the effect they want to achieve. Art isn't a competition of whose medium is harder or more 'true and artistic.'
cbdesignstudio Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
I personally know professional digital artist and many admit it is easer and faster to meet deadlines in a very competitive commercial art world. However many of the older artist who also work digital and traditional have a solid foundation in traditional techniques and mediums. Your correct it is not a competition; however there are things you just can't fake when working in a traditional medium. For example perspective drawing/drafting there are certain rules/laws that you must know and follow. In addition you must know how to use the actual physical tools if your drawing a building in it's proper perspective, and I'm not talking simple one point perspective. Keep in mind there is not an undo in the real world it's called "Redo".
(1 Reply)
:iconaceofkeys72:
AceOfKeys72 Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You bring up a good point. I have to use traditional bc of lack of resources and I will admit I used to he antagonist to digitalddue to the amount of digital here but now I'm beginning to see it doeant have to b digital or traditional it could be traditional AND digital. Though I've yet to see where it'll lead
I actually got into digital originally so I didn't have to buy all those paints and stuff to colour my work. =P This is quite a digital-heavy site, but it's good to see that there's a lot of appreciation for very different kinds of art too. :D
:iconaceofkeys72:
AceOfKeys72 Featured By Owner Mar 26, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I agree. it can be touch when you feel like you have to compete for attention but I think for a place to showcase your skills this is a great spot ;)
:iconemueller:
emueller Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013
I personally have a soft spot for the overall look of traditional, but I have seen some digital stuff that just blows me away.

Also, I know this is basically a "wrong" opinion, but I can't help but feel as if digital art is cheating. I know it takes a ton of skill, it just seems so easy to tweak and correct mistakes compared to traditional.
cbdesignstudio Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
I agree with you 100 percent! I practice both, therefore I call myself a mixed media artist. I'm in my 40's and I was trained in the traditional techniques. In traditional techniques when you make a major mistake the project is over. Far to many tricks in digital world to fake knowing traditional techniques. Quick example you can do a digital airbrush project and never touched a real airbrush in your life. Please don't get me started on filters, customizing brushes, etc... I think it's the younger gen of artist who may not quite understand it is really more than just making a pretty picture or awesome characters quickly; it's the whole process of having something tangible. No! having your digital project printed is not really a tangible piece of artwork. What some artist are doing, including myself is starting a piece in the real world and finishing it in the digital world.
emueller Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013
Yeah, I've seen brushes that can do in minutes that which would take hours traditionally. I also love having something tangible, and agree that prints don't have quite the same effect.
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Every media has ways to tweak and correct and some are more forgiving than others. And honestly, it really depends on how a digital artist works. I've screwed up pieces in digital that were hell to fix.

I've also done ones that were easy to fix...which were usually cel-shaded ones...traditional cel-shading(painting on glass or acetate) is actually pretty easy to fix too. And you can layer! So it's not exactly too different.
emueller Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013
I agree with you there.

I was more referring to say pencil, pastel, charcoal, paint on canvas etc. If you mess up proportions it's pretty much unfixabled aside from completely redoing that area, and if you make poor color choices there is no going back unless you want to start over. I've watched digital artists just drag and rotate things around, or change color tone or hue with a slider until it was just right. Doing those things traditionally would take hours instead of minutes.

Still, no disrespect to digital artists. It still takes a huge amount of skill and knowledge in your program.
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Ah, I see what you mean. I usually only use rotate and resize, etc for lineart simply so I don't have to redo something--even then, electric erasers get rid of pen pretty well, and I've even cut portions of lineart and pasted them on another piece of paper before. Otherwise, I personally do things the hard way because it never looks right when I use those tools on things other than lineart, ahahaa.

I do change color tone and hue a lot, though. Each media has it's advantages, and that is a pretty big one digital has. I've actually done it to figure out color schemes for traditional pieces before I actually paint since it's easier to change colors on digital thumbnail sketches than draw the same thing over and lay down different colors.
emueller Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013
Stuff like in this video is kind of what I mean [link]. Like at 1:55 when he just picks the arm up and rotates it, or how he can just block in complete and even values within a few seconds. He also can select things and reposition them like nothing (the shield). Then at 3:05 he straight up copies a braid and pastes two on the sides of the head. Also, lighting effect can be so easily stuck in (3:24). Or the rain effect that is slapped on at 4:08 but still looks amazing. Nothing like this would be possible with traditional in the time frame that he does it.

That's pretty smart, using digital for color schemes. I think that alone would be worth trying it out
mcrafi Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I would agree with you its hard to do traditional digit its really about learning the program i mean yeah you have to have talent and a good eye but the computer is...idk how to even explain

i would love LOVE to get a tablet and do the digital thing because yes some of this new age art is just mind blowing def blows traditional art outa the water :P lol
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013
You can actually do digital painting with a mouse, though it will be really cumbersome and might make you wan to throw your mouse. But yes, it is possible.
emueller Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013
Right? I want a tablet but I have no idea where to start. I'm not too great with computers though, so I'm hoping its not too crazy.
Add a Comment: