Details

Closed to new replies
February 25, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 116

Methods or drawing bodies?

:iconratchetjak:
Well I admit that I do have some difficulties drawing out bodies. I mean, I do have a method and it gets me through well enough to produce a pose and such but generally, I do have a hard time so I was wondering what you artists do for drawing a fullbody, pose, etc.

I start but drawing the head and detailing it, then I draw a box-like object for the torso and a smaller box for the hips. Then i usually fit in everything. It works sometimes but it kind of makes my anatomy kind of wobbly at times. :/

So yeah, what method do you use? All examples are appreciated. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconyunonglu:
I sketch out the whole body by making a stick figure. Then adding shapes for the body+head. Then adding details in, it helped a lot for porptioninng.

Also studying the anatomy and learning to draw the real human body will help you a lot!
Ah sounds good! I think I'll try gathering a few stock poses, then try the stick figure meets shapes method. Thanks!
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Mar 7, 2013  Student General Artist
Its actually best to study anatomy. Its a way to under stand the body differently, but in a scientific and accurate way. Really notice how the feet and arms actuall bend forward a bit while standing.

In a way, from those anatomical studies, you can come up with your own shapes and stuff. Sometimes a good shape is a comparison from real life such as the toes are like cars, the head and skull are eggs, the rib cage is an egg, the neck is a coat hanger, etc. The slope of the toe is a wind shield, the nail is the hood, and the fat on the sides are like fender. The car analogy is something that figure modeling taught me.

Its the same way with hands, only they are longer and not stubby.

Sometimes some drawing techniques are to draw boxes. It helps alot so you see all the perspective of the body as like some structural building and see that its a 3D form.

Or you can start with the contraposto lines which every one is talking about the lines for the torso, chest or neck.

Its also important to be loose, or do alot of gesture drawings, or basically getting the directions of the pose. Try posemaniacs, pixellovely, and quickpose, and do the timer. Its to get the basic form, not to be a complete picture.
I liked the car analogy and you are right, I'm currently taking those into suggestion with my next drawing. And I do use posemaniacs already but I'll give those other sites a try as well.
Thank you for the advice/tips. ^^
:iconhexcodewhite:
hexcodewhite Mar 6, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Not only should you work with gesture drawings/draw anatomy from observation, you should also consider expression. Watch movies and study the way that people communicate to each other by the way they're standing or the way they're sitting.

Pull up Posemaniacs and use their 30-second drawing tool. Set it to something like 60 seconds and just draw gestures over and over again. You'll begin building a small library of poses and images in your head, and you'll be learning by doing - the best way!
Watch some movies and take some screenshots of dynamic body language. Examine how people slump over when they're tired or bored, or how fluid their body is when they run. Considering body language helps "wake up" your drawings of people and keeps them from looking dull or lifeless.
**Practice gestures first and get comfortable with those before you look up body language; little easier that way. :)

Good luck!
That's a lot of good advice! I'll try that. I really like the movie idea. Sounds very fun so yes, I will give that try. Thanks again for the advice. :)
:icondebit:
Debit Mar 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Gesture drawings become important in more complicated poses. In this instance, you may have to start out with an arm, a leg, or the spine before the head. Boxes and circles have a limitation in that they cannot lay out the directions of the limbs, spinal contours, and the distribution of weight as well as lines and curves.

The hands and the feet are perhaps the most complicated to learn how to draw.
Yeah I know. I tried starting a drawing with the shoulder line but it felt to odd. I'm just too used to starting out with the head shape first. :/
And oh man, do I know how hard hands are to draw. They've plagued me forever...
:icondebit:
Debit Mar 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Even when drawing a more complicated pose, I think the head (the length of the head, to be more specific) is still useful as a 'measuring stick' to set relative proportions. Other 'measuring sticks' include the length of the upper arm, which roughly corresponds to the length between the shoulder and the waist. If foreshortening is involved, then this needs to be compensated for.

Spending a few semester in figure drawing classes is the most straightforward means of learning how to draw people using near-realistic proportions. Books (left-brain activity) on figure drawing do not make much sense until you have had first-hand experience (right-brain activity) in some figure drawing.
Yeah, I'm hoping the drawing class I plan to take will have include figure drawing as well. But nevertheless, thank you for the advice. :)
Add a Comment: