Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Jobs in the Art Field

:iconkriiistenify:
Kriiistenify Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm 16 and I really love art, and nothing else really interests me. It's getting to be time where I need to figure out what I want to go to college for. Do you have any recommendations of careers I can pursue for the type of person that loves painting, poetry, photography, beauty, and bones? (Obviously not something that includes all of those)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconemark4:
emark4 Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Also, there are museum jobs for this too, if you like telling others about art that is...
:iconbustermaximus:
bustermaximus Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Hobo.
I posted this before but I will post this again here:

The state of reality may not be as fair to artists like us [link] but I read that it would be best to combine your love of art with very marketable skills. Currently, I am an studio art major, probrably one of the worst college majors you will find on Forbes.com. To counter this, I would like to major in buisiness or marketing (Marketing is a vocational major right?) as a second major.

I am starting an art portfolio and hoping for the best in the meantime. By the way, do you have a portfolio? I am 100 % sure that every artist needs one, you will have to show your art samples to employers.
Kriiistenify Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student General Artist
What exactly is a portfolio?
Basically, sample pieces of your artwork. It showcases your ability as an artist. If you know what type of art you want to do, I would suggest you do some artwork right now.

Basically, start doing the job you want to do, now!

I was also told to have a online portfolio. You should do one too.
I have tons of my art I've made. So isn't that a portfolio if I just keep it all together?
:iconshonjikari:
Shonjikari Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student General Artist
Also, depending on what you're using your portfolio for, you want to tailor it to that. Like if you are applying to an art school, remove all the anime and cartoon drawings, even if you consider them to be your best. The only exception is if you're applying to be a comic/cartoon major, to which I would leave maybe one or two in. Art schools want to see lots of observational drawing that show a good understanding of the fundamentals.

But that said, if you're applying for a graphic design job, having all of your observational still lives and nude model drawings probably won't help very much!

Think of your portfolio as a type of visual/artistic resume. :)
Thanks. :) I don't have much of either of those.
:iconshonjikari:
Shonjikari Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student General Artist
If you are going to college for a BFA art degree, you must have a strong portfolio. Schools that offer art degrees without asking to see a portfolio generally raise a lot of red flags, unless it's a two year college or a BA in art. As a general thing though, you can only get your art BA in very general fields like graphic design or studio art and will require different things than if you were to get your BFA in those subjects. I'd say almost every art college offers only BFA's, unless it's something like "Art Education".

If you're interested in make up, you could look into make up art or special effects make up. I know there's a field geared toward medical illustration, which would be illustrating bones and other body parts.
Kriiistenify Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student General Artist
Those two last things sound quite interesting. What is BA and BFA?
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: