Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Directions

:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've noticed that I always draw people facing the left, and that even though I CAN sketch from a photo thats facing the opposite way it feels forced and unnatural. I was just curious if other artists have noticed something similar with their own work, or have a theory as to what causes it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Every starting artists had this, to some degrees.
It's something you can get over, with a lot of practice.
I used to draw all my characters facing the same way. Making them turn the other way just seemed weird and awkward to me... and thb... the artwork didn't turn out so well. Many hours of practice made me come over this problem. I still have my preferences, but there's no such thing as a big difference in quality
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Yeah, it's pretty much habit. I think it may correlate a bit with handedness (ie right or left handed) but I've seen many people in this forum who say that's not how it works for them.
I'm right handed and draw everything facing to the left too. People, tables, Godzillasauruses, everything. But I can draw stuff facing the other way pretty decently now after practicing.
I had wondered about the right hand left hand thing being the initial reason I started preferring one direction, but if you were able to overcome it through practice I should be able to as well. Thanks for answering!
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I always tend to do lighting from the left for my shading. I have had to get out of the habit, as I will turn a piece upside down, and work on the opposit side, but screw up my lighting. If you spend a week drawing people from any angle other than left, it will get easier.
Thanks! Will have to get to practicing I 'spose.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
It's just habit. Force yourself out of it for a while and it will become second nature.
lol wonder how long it takes to break a lifelong habit?
Add a Comment: