Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 19, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 111

If I see another photorealistic animal drawing I'm going to barf.

:iconunpredictabloo:
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, not really. I actually have a great deal of respect for artists who have the skill to capture such things, and one of the best art teachers I've had so far was really into photorealistic horses and such. The thing is I live in Wyoming, where photorealistic buffalo and horses and squirrels and bunnies and geese and eagles and deer and antelope are pretty much the only publicly displayed art pieces that you get to see on a daily basis, other than the photorealistic cowboys and indians.

So all of this has got me wondering: what are some genres/styles that make you wince, and why?

Bonus question! What's your favorite art genre?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconameza:
Ameza Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
With the great photography we have today I think there is not much point to photo realism drawings/paintings anymore. It's great to practice technical skills but when copying something exactly, so you don't even see brush strokes, I don't really see the point for that today. But some artists do some crazy detailed photorealism paintings but they bring something extra into it, which makes them interesting again.

What "genre" annoys me though are overly sexual and disrespectful artworks of women everywhere, especially in game art. Seriously, if those women would be wearing that armor for reals, they would be dead within ten seconds :/
:icondelphineapollo:
DelphineApollo Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
The only reason I attempt photorealism is because I want to learn how to copy other people's styles and I was told I needed to know how to draw realistically extremely well before attempting to do that.
:iconjollygolightly:
JollyGolightly Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't like photo realistic anything, I mean, why not just take a photo :shrug:
But I have seen lots of animal pics that are very stylish
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
Yes, those are very lovely!
:iconbrightredphoennix:
BrightRedPhoennix Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Filmographer
Fanart kind of gets on my nerves. I mean, it's not bad, in fact I used to draw some fanart, but there's just so MUCH of it. And it always seems to get a ton of hype! I mean seriously. I guess I just got tired of it.
:iconelyssea:
Elyssea Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Eh, realism. But I live in a town where everyone's like if you're not a realist (through smudging usually,) you're a poor artist.
I happen to hatch in everything I do.
So bleh.
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I've taken a liking to hatching and such over smudging recently; I think it looks cleaner and has more motion and texture, if it's done well. Though I've also seen a few smudge-shaded pieces that managed to look quite nice as well, so... it's subjective as anything, I guess xD
:iconelyssea:
Elyssea Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, I guess since all I see is smudging I'm like NO. Haha, but I'm biased.^-^
:iconelectrifried:
electrifried Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
eh, realistic drawings are at least impressive; I never used to respect it as much as when I started my drawing class which basically teaches you to 'copy' what you see. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Stuff which annoy me:
-anthropomorphic animals - sorry I know a lot of people are into this kinda stuff but it really creeps me out tbh. Especially the ones done in pin up style and also suggestive fan art. XD
-shiny elbows and knees, most seen on anime characters
- 'adoptables' which all look the same, plastered in a 10x10 grid as if the amount to choose from makes up for the really badly created 'characters'.

But you know, I generally like to keep an open mind, and I do find most art beautiful in its own way =) It's just often it's easy to see which pieces have been created out of trends and not from the heart.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I don't want to upset anyone here, but I dislike most of the stuff I've seen college students do (in my local area).

My fave genre is the "art nouveau" kind. It's always been one of my faves since I can remember.
Add a Comment: