Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 19, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 111

If I see another photorealistic animal drawing I'm going to barf.

:iconunpredictabloo:
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, not really. I actually have a great deal of respect for artists who have the skill to capture such things, and one of the best art teachers I've had so far was really into photorealistic horses and such. The thing is I live in Wyoming, where photorealistic buffalo and horses and squirrels and bunnies and geese and eagles and deer and antelope are pretty much the only publicly displayed art pieces that you get to see on a daily basis, other than the photorealistic cowboys and indians.

So all of this has got me wondering: what are some genres/styles that make you wince, and why?

Bonus question! What's your favorite art genre?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconameza:
Ameza Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
With the great photography we have today I think there is not much point to photo realism drawings/paintings anymore. It's great to practice technical skills but when copying something exactly, so you don't even see brush strokes, I don't really see the point for that today. But some artists do some crazy detailed photorealism paintings but they bring something extra into it, which makes them interesting again.

What "genre" annoys me though are overly sexual and disrespectful artworks of women everywhere, especially in game art. Seriously, if those women would be wearing that armor for reals, they would be dead within ten seconds :/
:icondelphineapollo:
DelphineApollo Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
The only reason I attempt photorealism is because I want to learn how to copy other people's styles and I was told I needed to know how to draw realistically extremely well before attempting to do that.
:iconjollygolightly:
JollyGolightly Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't like photo realistic anything, I mean, why not just take a photo :shrug:
But I have seen lots of animal pics that are very stylish
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
Yes, those are very lovely!
:iconbrightredphoennix:
BrightRedPhoennix Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Filmographer
Fanart kind of gets on my nerves. I mean, it's not bad, in fact I used to draw some fanart, but there's just so MUCH of it. And it always seems to get a ton of hype! I mean seriously. I guess I just got tired of it.
:iconelyssea:
Elyssea Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Eh, realism. But I live in a town where everyone's like if you're not a realist (through smudging usually,) you're a poor artist.
I happen to hatch in everything I do.
So bleh.
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I've taken a liking to hatching and such over smudging recently; I think it looks cleaner and has more motion and texture, if it's done well. Though I've also seen a few smudge-shaded pieces that managed to look quite nice as well, so... it's subjective as anything, I guess xD
:iconelyssea:
Elyssea Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, I guess since all I see is smudging I'm like NO. Haha, but I'm biased.^-^
:iconelectrifried:
electrifried Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
eh, realistic drawings are at least impressive; I never used to respect it as much as when I started my drawing class which basically teaches you to 'copy' what you see. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Stuff which annoy me:
-anthropomorphic animals - sorry I know a lot of people are into this kinda stuff but it really creeps me out tbh. Especially the ones done in pin up style and also suggestive fan art. XD
-shiny elbows and knees, most seen on anime characters
- 'adoptables' which all look the same, plastered in a 10x10 grid as if the amount to choose from makes up for the really badly created 'characters'.

But you know, I generally like to keep an open mind, and I do find most art beautiful in its own way =) It's just often it's easy to see which pieces have been created out of trends and not from the heart.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I don't want to upset anyone here, but I dislike most of the stuff I've seen college students do (in my local area).

My fave genre is the "art nouveau" kind. It's always been one of my faves since I can remember.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I can't stand the stupid lolita doll anime girls. I am so sick of it, and I'm not alone, as you can see. Why do they look the same? Why do they have all the same or similar color palette? Why do so many of them have what appears to be blushing knees? Why do they all have the same exact body and the same balloon heads and pointed chins and saucer eyes? Then there's the disney stylized animals. They're always wolves, lions, tigers, or dogs of some sort. All the exact same file type- digital- and the exact same color palette. All copies? All traced? I don't know, nor do I understand but I am really sick of it. I think they are all some kind of 'adoptable' downloaded from some website with the colors changed, then uploaded here. Or at a minimum traced. Because all of them look like an actual disney cartoonist drew them- none of the details (of which there are few) are ever off.

I don't have a favorite 'art genre'. I don't agree with picking "genres" and claiming to be fans of one genre to the exclusion of all else. I don't particularly care what a good piece of work is a depiction of- a city, a building, abstract, a sculpture, a watercolor- I've fallen in love with and faved all types of art, and admire all types of art that express a certain kind of originality. If it looks really unique, really catchy, and I know I've never seen it before- then I like it. Which basically means I don't like much of anything- because hardly anything really impresses me as an original thought on this website. A god damn shame, that is.
:iconespnb:
EspnB Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Filmographer
I agree with you - people who can make a drawing look JUST like a photography is mighty impressive, but when you see thirty-plus photorealistic drawings by the same artist, you go "WOW! HOLY SHIT, IT LOOKS LIKE A PHOTO!" on the first one, "This is impressive, this one looks like a photography too..." on the tenth, and by the last one you end up with a "Meh..." because you know what to expect, get bored and realize you could just as well watch the actual photograph the drawing is based upon.

Favourite art genre must be caricatures with beautiful and artistic execution - especially faces that gets almost torn apart but still keep the likeness, like a cubistic or an abstract type of caricature.
:iconofficialpoypoy:
Officialpoypoy Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
then your ganna love my facebook page ahaha

facebook.com/vancouverpoy
EspnB Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Filmographer
...not quite what I meant - those are good, no disrespect, but I meant more "artistic" things like these brilliant works from fellow deviants:
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
:iconofficialpoypoy:
Officialpoypoy Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student General Artist
ohh those kinds, yea I get it. Its not the same as carnival or live type aha.
EspnB Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Filmographer
No, not quite, but kudos for the work you display here! :)
:iconwhatonearth:
whatonearth Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I really hate sonic art with a passion, good thing it died down a long time ago. Other than that I don't really like looking at badly drawn anime or well drawn anime with stab worthy chins. They're ugly and too numerous.
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have to say anime. Ginga has been a huge influence for me and my own style has some flavor from anime I guess but the overflow of big eyed anime humans can get a little bit too much. I was looking for Copic tutorials earlier today and every single one of them revolved around anime humans. I don't need to learn how to paint glossy hair or tanned skin dammit, I want to know how to color creatures and animals!

Generic canine/feline digital art would be another. Again, it's something that's very close to my own art but just as with anime, the overflow of it makes me want to gag. I was originally supposed to do digital and mainly canine/feline art but that direction changed drastically when I realized how much of an overflow that kind of art has right now. One can't even tell one artist from another.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
I hate anime... manga... anthrodoodles with a passion. I also hate anything by Pollock or Warhol.
:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There's no particular style that completely irks me 100% of the time, but I tend to be bored by pieces that aren't creative in concept. For example, a realistic painting or drawing can still express mood or feeling through color, light, angle etc. but it does get old to see plain old representative art that doesn't have a thought process outside of looking like a real such and such. Anime style can get a little
clichee' and stereotypical to
me, but I've seen pieces that were truly well crafted and creative. I think what makes it good or not good is whether its original and has a thought behind it or not.
:iconxannijn:
Xannijn Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Filmographer
Not a fan of anime. Can't stand the huge sparkly ridiculous eye thing, with compete lack of other facial anatomy. The fact that it's so insanely popular right now doesn't help: it's everywhere, and often it's done really, really badly. :stare: I don't even like it when it's properly done.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I'd have to say the "art" that makes my lip go all Elvis are the drawings of women where their breasts & butts have been exaggerated to absurd proportions...next would be "safe" art- nice landscapes, nice portraits of children & dogs...shit that couldn't offend anyone, just leave them checking their insulin levels, or rethinking their zzzquil...why take take drugs when you can have nice safe art to lull you to sle-z-z-z-z....
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
You can say that again. All of it.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
There are few styles I discriminate against; I like good art and dislike bad art, no matter the genre, although some genres have a higher percentage of quality than others.

In terms of particular genres, I generally dislike photomanipulations, and that symbolism anime stuff, where real facial expressions are replaced with simplified symbols for expressions. Also Damien Hurst type 'high' art... fucking bollocks, the lot of it. :stare:
:iconmihaihen:
Mihaihen Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Fav: anime
Hated: Disney, just because that's all i had as a kid. Even if it's cool, too much of a good thing will still make you sick :\
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
SUPER BISHOUJO SPARKLY BUG EYE TRIANGLE CHINS.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, I just passionately wish it and it's helpless maidens would go burn in the fiery pits of hell. :iconfffuuuplz: I'm only half serious. I'm weird, I don't tend to really have genres in music or art I exclusively like or hate. I like variety .. a bit of everything as long as it was done well or is somehow different or unique. As an overall rule I like things on a slightly more realistic side or attractive bright colour combinations. If I put it in one genre it would be semi realistic anime & manga though. :B
:iconwhatonearth:
whatonearth Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol:
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
"So all of this has got me wondering: what are some genres/styles that make you wince, and why? "

Suprematism.

For example:

[link]
[link]
Ah, yeah. I never really understood paintings like that.
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of abstract. I just don't get it...like, what does it represent? Why is this so special? Y'know.

I do get what you're saying about realism, although I honestly have quite a bit of respect towards artists that can capture such a scene. Personally, I angle towards a more cartoon/anime sort of style; I like cute things.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Professional General Artist
I feel you.  I've never been a big fan of photorealism, though I would say the celebrity portrait renderings and such are my least favorite.  Although I think outside of the kitschy photorealism, there is some good work with more depth to it, i.e. [link] and [link]
I would actually call the stuff you're referring to more like nature painting, Western art, or regional genres.

I hate Rococo too and repeated exposure to Bouguereau makes me gag.

Favorites?  I dunno.  German/Austrian Expressionism is pretty consistently enjoyable to me.  And Golden Age illustration.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Ohmygod I loooooove Bouguereau so very much :la: I don't actually consider his art to be realism, although they are highly accurate depictions of humans and his faces are full of life. They are not realism because they depict fantasy, they don't relate to the brutal world of 19th century industrial towns the way Claude Monet does in some of his paintings. Fantasy is not reality. Bougeureau inspires me because he shows people enjoying life and being solitary in a fantasy world, and they have a kind of emotional power and tenderness that pop culture utterly cannot ever grasp. I've never used the word rococo to in place of High Baroque; and in that I agree that a lot of baroque art is overdone and relates poorly to the human condition. The simplicity of Bouguereau's naked angels and peasant girls sitting on benches or whatever, is easily reachable to us where baroque art and architecture were playthings of the very rich.
I also can't stand celebrity portraits :bleh:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Professional General Artist
Um... I think you're a bit confused about my comment. I wasn't presenting Bouguerea as an example of realism, just an example of an artist I don't really like. His style is more regarded quintessential French academic painting, which drew heavily on traditional approaches and often Classical subject matter. I dislike his work because it is repetitive and often kitsch. He could paint quite well, which I can appreciate, but overall it's just not my thing.

And I believe you're thinking Late Baroque, not High Baroque. I like a lot of 16th-17th century painting and even took a class on Baroque art because I like the period so much. Although my preference is mostly for Dutch and Flemish painting, not Italian (apart from Caravaggio and others in that vein).
Yup, western. That's the one. I've seen too much of it in my day x.x though I've also seen quite a lot of photorealistic animals drawings in general which somehow manage to all blend into another because there's not anything very special about them except the fact that they're convincingly photorealistic. It's like seeing the same drawing/painting over and over, featuring the same animals in the same way.

Then again, I've also seen plenty of photorealism that I've fallen in love with due to interesting colors, composition, texture, depth... sometimes traditional media can capture the most beautiful depth and contrast and detail that is hard to match with even a photo.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yeah. That was mainly the art I was exposed to in my hometown, what you would see in the 2-3 galleries we had and from artists in the area. Very frustrating, not all that inspiring. I can respect the level of craft and skill that goes into it, I guess.

And I think that a painting can seem preferable because a painter can manipulate the subject to make it look better, softer, less like a photograph in the negative sense. What the photo-realists of the 60s-70s did, though, was make paintings that looked like photographs, which actually goes against that whole notion.
:iconaliyabloodheart:
AliyaBloodHeart Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I actually dont like Abstract works... i dont like when someone slaps on some colours (or scarily enough one colour) and then calls it art... and you see it sell for thousands of dollars.. im left scratching my head thinking... which way is up.. how would you hang it on a wall ect... but each to their own.

And my favourite is actually realism and semi-realism, its what i admire i guess, next to that i would say probably cartoon, 3d and 2d... but im a bit of an animation nut and i grew up reading lots of comics :)

I think this is a really interesting topic, and i hope i have not offended anyone!
:iconseacorc:
seacorc Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
"i dont like when someone slaps on some colours (or scarily enough one colour) and then calls it art."
Neither do I, but I love abstract art.
XD
Like i said i dont mean to offend anyone i just have never understood abstract :O
:iconseacorc:
seacorc Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I wasn't offended.
Thats good!
I didnt think you were C:
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Hehe. Yeah, abstract can be a bit difficult to understand sometimes. Depends on the artist and how abstract it is and such, in my opinion.
Yeah that is a good point!
I was going to say i know there are different types of abstract but the examples i have seen when i was younger were pretty much like what i said :P
But as you mentioned on another comment its about how art makes us feel ourselves and we should feel free to do what we like :)
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Genre that makes me wince? Rococo
Favorite school? Abstract Expressionism and Bad Painting.
I quite like Rococo; fluffy nonsense it may often be, but pretty art is pretty art, and I like pretty art. :iconeweplz:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Pretty doesn't make art.
Not necessarily, but it doesn't not make art.
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I disagree. Pretty petty decoration isn't art.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I disagree; there's no way that this [link] isn't art. Sickly as it is, it requires just as much skill as a painting with more substance.
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I disagree, it's still just decoration. Skill isn't all that is required for art.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Just because it's pretty doesn't mean it doesn't have an intended story or message though. It's just that it's easier to make an edgy and negative emotional theme seem deep and meaningful than it is a positive happy theme.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: