February 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Drawing Right or Wrong?

:iconaustin-tyler:
Austin-Tyler Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hey DA!

First off I'll like to note that this is my personal feeling...

I believe that there is no right way to draw something like eyes, cloth, hair... ETC! It all depends on your style. If you draw your eyes a certain way then who am I to tell you that your drawing them wrong! I have seen several comments and heard stories from my DA friends about this and It just piss me off.

What is your guys feelings on this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconarrowchild:
arrowchild Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional
Style isn't a right. It's a privilage. There are plenty of artists, usually young and inexperienced, who think that drawing the way they 'like' to draw equates style. But, in fact, style develops from a core understanding of artistic principles and applications, choosing which to adopt, which to bend and which to ignore. It takes years of work and effort and soul searching for an artist to develop a legitimate style.

As for there being a right and a wrong way of drawing...of COURSE there are right and wrong ways of drawing, but the 'right' and 'wrong' are dependant on what the artist was trying to do in the first place. If someone is trying to draw a realistic eye and it is anatomically incorrect, then they have done it wrong, because they didn't achieve their goal.
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Google Rob Liefield, I apologize in advance.
:iconbovineassassin:
bovineassassin Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
I think style can only account for so much. If style was everything then anyone could pick up a brush or a pen draw something and label it as a masterpiece. I don't think that there's any thing wrong with that but without a technical base then me personally will just disregard style. Technique lends itself to creating style. So is there a right or wrong way to draw eyes? I think yes there is
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In my opinion, one can tell when an artist has drawn something a certain way on purpose, or when they just don't know any better (covering up lack of skill with 'style')

It's the second case most people are referring to when they say something is wrong.
:icondefineyvonne:
DefineYvonne Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah that happens man.. people think that since a certain style of eyes are popular.. they think that's the right way of drawing it.. but i do agree with you.. everyone has their own style... and everyone has different preferences and opinions about art... as an artist... one must keep an open mind ^ u ^... but man trust me.. you're art is pretty good in my opinion ;D
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
There's a difference between a style you develop over time and just drawing badly. Its sometimes easy to confuse the two, but closer examination usually reveals the better artist.

While there is no wrong style, there is sloppy technique and flat out bad art.

A good artist may have his or her own unique and strange style, but will understand what is behind art, and be able to draw in a more 'standard' style. Every good artist, for instance, should be able to render something simple from life. They should understand shadow, light, composition, color, etc.

Once you understand these things- either through experience or school- then you can manipulate them into your own unique style that, while being strange, will still be good art.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student General Artist
There is no right way to do anything.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
If you go in the bathroom, and pee on the floor, you are doing it wrong.

If you drive a shopping cart thru the grocery store like a bumper car, trying to hit other peoples carts, you are doing it wrong.

If you want the praise of being a good artist, but do not want to put in the work, so you search the internet for other people's work, and post it as your own, you are doing it wrong.

There are many things that can be done wrong, and these are just a few of the ones I have witnessed in person.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student General Artist
I should have worded what I said better, maybe, In art, there isn't much that you can do wrong, just do what works for you (not stealing though) :D

And in life don't do dumb stuff like those people.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Style is often an excuse people use to justify their inability to draw something :shrug: While there are some things that are part of a stylistic approach, if it stands out as wrong, it is likely because it is (regardless of style). I'm pretty sure the eye can read with something doesn't mesh in an art piece.

Yes, a lot of artwork on here would be classed as "wrong" if we assumed there was only one correct way to draw something. Of course, there isn't just one way to draw something (one "style" to draw in), but even when thinking in the style mindset, if someone drew an arm too short, or eyes too closely together, it would be fair enough to say that it weakens the image as a whole, making it look "wrong" :)
Add a Comment: