February 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Drawing Right or Wrong?

:iconaustin-tyler:
Austin-Tyler Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hey DA!

First off I'll like to note that this is my personal feeling...

I believe that there is no right way to draw something like eyes, cloth, hair... ETC! It all depends on your style. If you draw your eyes a certain way then who am I to tell you that your drawing them wrong! I have seen several comments and heard stories from my DA friends about this and It just piss me off.

What is your guys feelings on this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconarrowchild:
arrowchild Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional
Style isn't a right. It's a privilage. There are plenty of artists, usually young and inexperienced, who think that drawing the way they 'like' to draw equates style. But, in fact, style develops from a core understanding of artistic principles and applications, choosing which to adopt, which to bend and which to ignore. It takes years of work and effort and soul searching for an artist to develop a legitimate style.

As for there being a right and a wrong way of drawing...of COURSE there are right and wrong ways of drawing, but the 'right' and 'wrong' are dependant on what the artist was trying to do in the first place. If someone is trying to draw a realistic eye and it is anatomically incorrect, then they have done it wrong, because they didn't achieve their goal.
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Google Rob Liefield, I apologize in advance.
:iconbovineassassin:
bovineassassin Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
I think style can only account for so much. If style was everything then anyone could pick up a brush or a pen draw something and label it as a masterpiece. I don't think that there's any thing wrong with that but without a technical base then me personally will just disregard style. Technique lends itself to creating style. So is there a right or wrong way to draw eyes? I think yes there is
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In my opinion, one can tell when an artist has drawn something a certain way on purpose, or when they just don't know any better (covering up lack of skill with 'style')

It's the second case most people are referring to when they say something is wrong.
:icondefineyvonne:
DefineYvonne Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah that happens man.. people think that since a certain style of eyes are popular.. they think that's the right way of drawing it.. but i do agree with you.. everyone has their own style... and everyone has different preferences and opinions about art... as an artist... one must keep an open mind ^ u ^... but man trust me.. you're art is pretty good in my opinion ;D
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
There's a difference between a style you develop over time and just drawing badly. Its sometimes easy to confuse the two, but closer examination usually reveals the better artist.

While there is no wrong style, there is sloppy technique and flat out bad art.

A good artist may have his or her own unique and strange style, but will understand what is behind art, and be able to draw in a more 'standard' style. Every good artist, for instance, should be able to render something simple from life. They should understand shadow, light, composition, color, etc.

Once you understand these things- either through experience or school- then you can manipulate them into your own unique style that, while being strange, will still be good art.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student General Artist
There is no right way to do anything.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
If you go in the bathroom, and pee on the floor, you are doing it wrong.

If you drive a shopping cart thru the grocery store like a bumper car, trying to hit other peoples carts, you are doing it wrong.

If you want the praise of being a good artist, but do not want to put in the work, so you search the internet for other people's work, and post it as your own, you are doing it wrong.

There are many things that can be done wrong, and these are just a few of the ones I have witnessed in person.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student General Artist
I should have worded what I said better, maybe, In art, there isn't much that you can do wrong, just do what works for you (not stealing though) :D

And in life don't do dumb stuff like those people.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Style is often an excuse people use to justify their inability to draw something :shrug: While there are some things that are part of a stylistic approach, if it stands out as wrong, it is likely because it is (regardless of style). I'm pretty sure the eye can read with something doesn't mesh in an art piece.

Yes, a lot of artwork on here would be classed as "wrong" if we assumed there was only one correct way to draw something. Of course, there isn't just one way to draw something (one "style" to draw in), but even when thinking in the style mindset, if someone drew an arm too short, or eyes too closely together, it would be fair enough to say that it weakens the image as a whole, making it look "wrong" :)
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
There are many 'right' ways to draw eyes, clothes, hair, etc. But not all ways are 'right' ways. The "right ways tend to share at their core a few common principles that were visibly followed by the artist. I say 'right' in the sense that centuries of mankind's experimentation in the arts has led us to understand a few common principles that tend to lead to eye-catching, or generally what is considered to be a pleasing or edifying result. Trial and error has led us to this. They aren't 'rules' as rules are very unforgiving, but they are principles, which can be bent if one knows how and when to bend or break them effectively.

In that vein, if your eyes are clearly not based on any structure, if they look placed on in an a way that demonstrates that there is no understanding of structure and form (and this is readily apparent), then they don't have form or structure. That part isn't a matter of opinion. If you want to be an artist that doesn't draw with structure or form, that's your choice. History generally has already decided on what the rest of humanity thinks is pleasing, and for the most part, that kind of art won't be considered as being pleasing to the vast majority of audiences.

If one is just drawing "for themselves" (and I've heard this more than I care, but nonetheless), don't show it to others expecting others to be as impressed as you are with it.
I am very sorry everyone! It's seems I didn't explain my point very well... So I like to go over a few things!

- There is nothing wrong with taking advise from fellow artist. You should always listen to what others have to say just take it with salt. The only way to become a better artist is to learn. My point is when someone attacks how you form your art style(Not in a creative criticism way but a jack ass way!) it's wrong and you shouldn't listen to them!

- "Style" when I use style I don't mean this "EXCUSE"! I mean the way someone express them self throw art!

- What I meant by people saying "You are drawing it WRONG" doesn't mean critiques or advice! I meant Trolls are just stuck up artists trying to cut other artist down. I have had many friends stop drawing or dreaming about being an artist because of this. Now I know it's their fault for letting it get to them but still it piss me off!

- Finally! I like to make this clear this post isn't about me... I like advice and wish for people to be honest with me! I use references and tutorials. I can't draw hands to save my life but I don't let stuff like that stop me.
here is a link to the first pic of my gallery [link] and here is the latest pic [link]

I believe that you can't judge someone art style! Meaning the way they express themselves, objects, clothing, eyes... ETC but if a mistake is apparent then if you want say something just don't be an ass about it!

I hope this clears things up If there is anything I need to explain in further detail please let me know! :)
Glori305 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Quite frankly, if someone can not take the heat of "trolls" on the net criticising their art, they do not have a thick enough skin for the real world of working in art, since it is a very competitive, and critic heavy world.

Someone driven to create, will keep creating. They may move on to knitting, crochet, polymer clay, writing, dance, acting, or one of the millions of other ways that a creative person can express their creativity, but if they are driven away from art by critisism, then they are not as drivien by their art as many of the truely creative are.

And a "stuck up" artist, has been there, proceded thru all the mistakes, and if they are kind enough to offer advice on what someone is doing wrong, they are generally actually trying to help. But the very fact that you used stuck up to describe them, tends to tell me that they are actually better calibur artists. And while critisism should always be constructive, that is a skill as well, someone who has never been taught to give a critique, but looks at someone's art and sees that they are doing hands the same way that they had to struggle to overcome, might give very clumsy advise that comes across more as "you are doing it wrong" rather than "I made that same mistake for years" the world would be a lot better place if we always assumed the other person meant well, and talked to them, rather than assuming someone was coming in to hurt us. Most the time, it is the way things are.
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Criticism should always be constructive. That should go without saying.
Glori305 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Well a "you do eyes wrong" is not informative.

Your eyes are too close together, or your eyes are too large for how you have drawn the eye sockets, are valid.

There is a difference between style, and anatomy that is way too extremly morphed.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
There is no wrong way to drawing.

But if no one likes your art you can hardly use that as an excuse not to learn the basics of art.
Very true!

Btw I love gallery!
:iconthousandenemies:
ThousandEnemies Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes but no. There are certain elements that could be considered "drawing the right way". Take anatomy for example. Some people just don't have it down. I wouldn't consider it "drawing the wrong way" though. There's always room for improvement. I think an art style reflects on you. You can be influenced by other artists and get little bits from them, but having all the pieces together and adding your own personality to your art is what makes it art style.
Yes! Your take on what a "Style" is is exactly what I am referring too!

Thanks for sharing your view with me! :)
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Sort of. Right and wrong in art depend entirely on artistic intent. So some artists intend to create, say, a figure that looks awkward or ugly, and they successfully do so and I would never go around "correcting" them. The problem lies with beginners, who don't have the experience to realize that they are incompetent. So a beginner thinks that they are painting a beautiful girl, but in reality they are choosing shapes and proportions that make the girl look like a horse crossed with a football player. They are failing in their intent. And because beginners mostly make similar mistakes, it's really easy to tell when an artist is making dumbass beginner mistakes because they don't know any better, and when they are an experienced artist who is experimenting with a non-standard style.

Art is a form of communication. Everything comes together in a picture like words to form a sentence. Under the right circumstances, if you really know what you're doing, you can use even gibberish to seem like it means something. If you don't know what you're doing, though, and you choose your "words" poorly, nobody is going to get what your picture is supposed to mean.
You my friend are amazing! Your point holds so much logic and your wording is wonderful!

Thank you for sharing your view! :)
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
actually there are VERY right and wrong ways to draw those things...actually it's more like there are more wrong ways than right ways. A teacher of mine once said, "Draw what you see, not what you know." If you enter into a piece saying "I know what X looks like, so I'll just draw X" then you'll never really get anywhere, remain stagnant, and never improve.
I see what you are saying and it's so true but I never once said anything about not improving! My post was aimed towards people that say there is only one way to draw something.

Thank you for commenting! :)
:iconravendark82:
ravendark82 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
The problem is that a lot of people use style as an excuse not to improve. The thinking is "well I draw in a cartoon style so why should I figure out how to draw eyes realistically". The thing is that by learning to draw things the "correct" way first it helps your art overall.

First off, you learn to observe the things around you. That is a big part of becoming a good artist, it is learning to actually "see" what things look like instead of what you think they look like. Second, it helps you know how much or little information you need to get something to "read" as a nose, or eyes. Thirdly, it helps your art look better. If you study faces then you can place anime eyes on a face and the face will still look like it has volume instead of a cardboard cut out.

And, some things are incorrect, even if you draw them in a style. If someone draws elbows bending the wrong way or puts hands on backwards, that is wrong and I don't know why someone would choose that as a style.

I know it can be frustrating to hear when you have drawn things wrong, and there certainly is a fine line between inexperience and having a style. Personally, I don't like to critique other artists' work unless they have asked for it. If someone is just doodling in their spare time it is much different than being an art student or a professional. I don't think it is ever conducive to tell someone "you did it wrong" and it is much more helpful to say "this is how it can be better"
But what is the "correct" way? There are tons of different ways to draw realistic eyes... so which one is right?

I agree with you 100% my art teacher taught to view my world as a reference sheet. My point was people tell you that you should draw like them or you should draw at all... I am sorry I did explain my point well enough in the beginning.

That isn't a "Style" that's just an error that happens... If a person call it a style then there an idiot!

:iconravendark82:
ravendark82 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
It seems like you are talking more about trolls. Or people who just give vague comments like "that's wrong". That you aren't really talking about style per se.

Just a quick browse through the front page will tell you there isn't one way to draw anything or to express yourself. There are certain principles that will make your art mesh and be pleasing.

Going through comments I know there are subset of people on DA who hate certain styles and will demean artists, there are also people who mimic styles without any foundation to build upon which helps fuel the haters.

The point is to be a great artist you must always push yourself and appreciate different styles, different forms of art and draw inspiration from many different places. There will always be jerks who just say "you did it wrong" but if you are serious as an artist you will seek out constructive criticism and strive to improve.

In the end, art is subjective, and you will always get negative feedback. You just have to decide whether your love of creating outweighs the hate you get.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional General Artist
it all depends on intention I guess.

If you're intention is to make something photorealistic, or a portrait of a celebrity, or whatever, and you don't do it very well, it could be considered "wrong" but most likely just "bad"

If you intend to do something loose and cartoony with big eyes or exaggerated features, then it would be stupid for someone to come along and go "the eyes are too big, and the neck is too thin" etc because you meant to make the eyes big.

To me what matters most of all is how engaging your work is, how it communicates with your audience.

The Artist can shout "style! IT'S MY STYLE" all the Artist likes but if the drawing doesn't engage with people, and all they're seeing is "bad" art... then perhaps it's not "style" merely not knowing enough yet to communicate your idea the way you'd like.
"If you intend to do something loose and cartoony with big eyes or exaggerated features, then it would be stupid for someone to come along and go "the eyes are too big, and the neck is too thin" etc because you meant to make the eyes big."

This is exactly what I meant!

Thanks for committing! :)
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional General Artist
The problem is making it look like you intended and not like you just screwed up attempting something else XD

I think too many people get criticism and jump in with "that's what I was going for/that's my style" when it wasn't they just want to try to sound cool. Was the artist really going for a character with one eye bigger than the other and their hands on backwards? didn't think so...
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013   Digital Artist
Styles are not something you just pick and stay with. A style is an expression of you, all your knowledge, all your mistakes, what you like and don't like, your influences and your manual skill. Art is not just how something looks but how it was put together.

Even the most iconic style can be looked at from the point of construction. How are its volumes expressed? What is the harmony between the shapes its made up of? Detail level? Intent? Does everything match that intent? How does it fit together with the things around it? What is the context in which it was used?

If you tried drawing a neck and it looks strange and someone suggests taking a look at an actual neck and see how it works that is not a personal attack or someone trying to "change your style". It's an encouragement to look at your construction and make it stronger. A knowledge which will inform how you draw so you can express yourself better and your decisions will be out of intent and less by guessing or copying.
I agree with you and your facts are great!

Thanks for sharing! :)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013   Digital Artist
I wouldn't have improved at all if people saw my crappy drawings with tubes for limbs and spade shaped faces and just said, "Woo! That's your style! Express yourself maaaan." and I never changed it because there was No Wrong Way!

There is such a thing as stylisation. The Powerpuff Girls aren't drawn 'wrong'. Not everything has to be photorealistic. Like, I often draw people with slightly bigger heads and eyes than real life. However, if it looks awkward, I'd want to hear it. And I'd change it. I'm sure you can tell the difference between a cartoon character drawn by a professional artist and a drawing done by a beginner.
A style is defined as "A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one's actions and tastes"

There is nothing wrong with improvement or creative crits but if you meant for your characters to have tube limbs and someone did like it and told you "you should draw like this" would you change to please them?

That is my point!

Thanks for commenting! :)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013   Digital Artist
It's not so much changing to please them, it's listening to advice to see if it works for you. So no, if I was aiming for like, Adventure Time, then I wouldn't change it. Though I might experiment with different types of tubes.

From reading your replies, I reckon we actually have the same idea. I misunderstood your post as being 'don't listen to anybody.' :)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends on what you're going for? I don't think people get to decide they're being clever and stylizing until they've got the hang of photorealism, though.
I see your point! I never thought of it like that...

Thanks for commenting! ;)
:salute: I think knowing what you're twisting around is what matters.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
What the? Why is this attitude about "photorealism" everywhere? Why is photorealism the only thing considered 'good' or 'correct' in art? How narrow can you be? This is so frustrating that everyone wants to think a photorealistic portrait in their gallery now justifies the rest of their anime drawings. "I know the rules- see! Now I'm being clever cuz I earned it" ? Have you seen watercolor arts before- here is one I found today on one flickr group: [link]
It is not photorealistic at all, it has a lot of stylization going on- and this artist is not drawing a photograph in any way. It is very representational but I think, quite a fantastic piece of art no?
What about this [link] This is perspective, abstract, and beautiful. There is nothing 'realistic' about it. It is a superb piece of work. I draw architectural perspective drawings as well, though I'm not up to this artist's caliber yet. Or maybe, truly there is a style difference...
What about this? [link] Is this realism? It is not. But a bad drawing or an incorrect one? I don't think so. It's not my thing, but it's definitely good. I think it is sad that we're saying good art means only "realism". Especially when most of the people here think realism means only a portrait that looks like a b&w photo of someone's face. And if art is only about copying exact reality, then what's the point? You should be saying that art is achieved precisely when one departs from reality and goes elsewhere...
You do realize I'm not saying it's the only correct thing, I'm saying it's necessary to show that you have the basic technical skills to draw photorealistically before moving on? Even abstract painters have done life drawings.
:iconn0xi0us--glitch:
N0XI0US--GLiTCH Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Your "personal feeling" defeats the purpose of improvement and tutorials.

There's a difference between style and skill level. The cartoonier necks I put on my figures are indeed a part of my style, but the bad anatomy on the rest of the body is due to my skill level. There are mistakes elsewhere- background and whatnot, so it's true that most pictures of mine are drawn the wrong way. And I'm not offended, unless someone flat-out says "you drew this wrong" and they don't bother to tell me how to fix it.

I'm still looking to improve because...why wouldn't I? -and no matter what level I'll be, I'll still draw things wrong. This goes for everyone, but it's still no excuse not to improve (;
How does it do that!? I never once said anything bad about improvement or tutorials... In fact I made a tutorial and faved several... I honestly don't get where you got this from.

The fact that you understand you need important is Awesome! I haven't met alot of people that are honest about the skill level.

Now lets say I said your necks are wrong and you should draw them like this... Well I didn't note your poor anatomy but I noted how you drew your necks(Style)and then you told me it was your style! Well I wouldn't care and said you are a horrible artist because you didn't draw them the way I wanted...

This was my point which I know I didn't explain in the beginning... I am sorry!

You are 100% right! BTW your art is very cool I like the coloring and use of strip patterns in your works!

Thanks for commenting! :)
:iconn0xi0us--glitch:
N0XI0US--GLiTCH Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*Or, well, the anatomy in general of my figures.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
"Style" is often used as an excuse to draw crap.

You can only get away with claiming "its your style" if you are capable of drawing realistically in the first place. You must know the rules first before you can claim to break them.
I have a question... can you draw realistically? cause I looked throw your gallery and besides the photos... Nothing was realistic most of it was 3D modals.

So do you have a style then?
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
I'm trying to draw realistically. I want to, and am trying to learn.

No, I don't have a style. Saying that I have a "style" is a fucking embarrassment. I'd very much like to break out of the look I've somehow fallen into.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Trying to justify poor drawings or lack of ambition with the excuse of "style" is common. This style thing very prevalent here, if anything. However, I personally am supportive of people doing what they want- truly- but don't come to me and justify it this way. And never- ever- try to equate anime with the great artists of the past. Seriously ever. Problems also come into play when it comes to making comments on other people's work. You want everyone else to acknowledge your 'style' but are you understanding theirs? Especially if it is quite different than yours? You are welcome to believe we're all equal, but try applying that logic to an older and more experienced artist and you may end up having a bad day.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
You're allowed to have an opinion about whether or not you like something. You're allowed to think something looks terrible. To YOU, the person has drawn something wrong, if you don't like it. That's what makes art subjective.

If the artist already thinks their drawing is the bee's knees, there's no real point to people voicing their negative opinions about it. But if the artist has asked for help or wants to discuss the work, then by all means you have the right to say you don't think it looks good.

So, I guess, yes, it's their style, but it's possible their style is terrible.
Add a Comment: